Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 40

Author Topic: The Hobbit  (Read 54817 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #495 on: January 03, 2014, 08:23:26 pm »

That's pretty much how I feel about it.  Most works selling themselves as adaptations are more like fan-fiction, and should be marketed honestly as such.  But no one gets intellectual property rights, big studio budgets, and a guaranteed audience in the millions by admitting they're making an alternative universe fan-fiction that if stripped of its budget would be of the same nature as any amateur fic on Livejournal or Youtube.  I have such a low opinion of the likes of Peter Jackson because the only difference between them and some amateur fan-fiction writer on Livejournal is they're self-important enough to believe that they deserve to get rich and famous for it by lying to everyone.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 08:25:24 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 04, 2014, 12:52:35 am »

Ehh, I dunno. I wouldn't like that remake - I don't like most Skyrim mods, either, and I don't like where the Hobbit is going. I just don't think it's fair to argue that he's not really a fan. It's not that I haven't been convinced that he's bad for the franchise, it's that I don't like the demonization of the man himself. I'm not angry at George Lucas for the prequels to his trilogy, either, I'm just kind of disappointed that it's what we wound up with. Yeah, George was working with his own mythology instead of somebody else's, but I'm getting the impression that Jackson's primary failing is misunderstanding the work he's adapting and the reasons for his earlier success, and getting overenthusiastic about it. That's classic fan behavior.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 04, 2014, 01:01:32 am »

Eragon was a pretty blatant ripoff of Star Wars, just with a fantasy flavor.

IIRC it's also the book series with vegan, self righteous elves who wear skimpy leather outfits. Yes, vegans who don't like hurting animals wear leather. Because it's sexy.
Only one does that, and she's a paradox of herself anyway. Problem is is that it had the potential to be really good - the setting, I mean - but then not.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 04, 2014, 01:05:06 am »

Whatever it was, the movie was simply a disgrace.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 04, 2014, 02:04:26 am »

Ehh, I dunno. I wouldn't like that remake - I don't like most Skyrim mods, either, and I don't like where the Hobbit is going. I just don't think it's fair to argue that he's not really a fan. It's not that I haven't been convinced that he's bad for the franchise, it's that I don't like the demonization of the man himself. I'm not angry at George Lucas for the prequels to his trilogy, either, I'm just kind of disappointed that it's what we wound up with. Yeah, George was working with his own mythology instead of somebody else's, but I'm getting the impression that Jackson's primary failing is misunderstanding the work he's adapting and the reasons for his earlier success, and getting overenthusiastic about it. That's classic fan behavior.

Yeah, I will honestly admit that I am probably a bit overzealous in my dislike for Peter Jackson.  It's too personal for me.  But my conviction on the subject is really spreading to adaptations in general as time goes on.  And I don't buy the typical excuses, because there are adaptations out there that I believe to be spot on.  If it were that my expectations are impossible, then this wouldn't be the case.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 04, 2014, 04:33:45 am »

Just watched "The hobbit" (Since that was the name for the start) and just have three problem that bugged the hell out of me and watching it:

1.THE MOVIE DOSE NOT KEEP AN TONE-
Now this was in the first hobbit (And the Lord of the ring) which was not bad but this was just stupid, with the barrel scene which was happy and light-hearted to Dread fortress.
2.THE LEADER SOMEHOW WAS BEING CORRUPTED BY SOMETHING THAT NOT EVEN NEAR HIM
3.THE CLOSER TO THE MOUNTAIN, THE MORE DUMB AND IDOTIC THE ACTION OF ANYONE IN THE MOVIE BECAME-
*COUGH* Pour gold on something that can create fire*COUGH*

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 04, 2014, 04:39:20 am »

I don't think Thorin was being corrupted by the Fartenstone so much as it was an attempt at showing his (inherited) greed for gold.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 04, 2014, 02:40:02 pm »

IIRC it's also the book series with vegan, self righteous elves who wear skimpy leather outfits. Yes, vegans who don't like hurting animals wear leather. Because it's sexy.
As I've never seen Star Wars, I was genuinely surprised when a friend of mine told me just that... Also, what elf was that? Main romantic interest or some minor character? (And what's wrong with vegan, self-righteous elves who go to war over some chopped-down trees? :P )
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 04, 2014, 04:15:51 pm »

As I've never seen Star Wars, I was genuinely surprised when a friend of mine told me just that... Also, what elf was that? Main romantic interest or some minor character? (And what's wrong with vegan, self-righteous elves who go to war over some chopped-down trees? :P )
Also, those Elves might not eat animal meat. So the leathers to make those armors might not be from any animals.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 04, 2014, 04:24:02 pm »

Just watched it. I liked it.

Definitely not comparable to tLotR though.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 05, 2014, 01:49:38 am »

I liked it.

You are wrong. You disliked it, you just didn't know it yet. Let me count the ways:

1. Shitting all over the introduction to Beorn. Seriously. Why. Why would you ruin a perfect comedic scene, only to tack on your own shitty comedy in other parts.
2. Getting caught by the elves. You ruined Bilbo showing himself to be clever by fucking around with the spiders, and then you also ruined another funny scene with the dwarves trying to eat at the banquets, only to be finally caught. Instead you have a cheesey action scene with Legolas in it. This brings me to...
3. Legolas. Literally everything to do with Legolas in this movie could be cut and nothing would be lost. Legolas was not in the book. Tauriel was not in the book. Fili did not fall in love with an elf. If we had cut this shit we could have done Beorn and the Spiders right.
4. The barrel scene. Once again we fuck up Bilbo being useful to tack on an action scene. If one hadn't read the book this escape would come across as a total ass-pull, and all the shots leading up to it did a truly horrible job of explaining what was going on.
5. Bard was not a boatman, the dwarves did not need to be smuggled in to Laketown. Why would you do this? To make Bard seem like a cooler guy, and get some populism going? He's the son of a fucking lord, he should be noble and terrible in the old sense of the word.
6. The Black Arrow. Just why? Why did this need to be done this way? It was better in the book. The "windlance" was cool, but hardly necessary.
7. The Smaug scene. I liked his voice, but the Scooby-Doo style chasing was totally wrong, and only served to ruin the tense atmosphere of Bilbo's interaction with Smaug. I did like his animation, though.
8. The forges. Goddammit, the specific heat capacity of gold isn't that low. It would take forever to melt those pots. Then, where did this fucking mould come from? How does gold cool that fast? Since when is Smaug dumb enough to get swamped in gold? Seriously, what was the thinking behind this entire encounter? I was thoroughly displeased with the whole climax.

5/10. Decent fantasy movie, poor The Hobbit adaptation.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 05, 2014, 02:00:47 am »

I liked it.

You are wrong. You disliked it, you just didn't know it yet.
Get out. Complain about your experience all you like, but don't tell people what theirs should've been. Some people have different tastes.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 05, 2014, 02:11:45 am »

I liked it.

You are wrong. You disliked it, you just didn't know it yet.
This is by far the shittiest thing you could have possibly said. Telling someone that they didn't like something because you don't like it is the worst kind of fan dumb there is. Nerd rage all you want, but don't be rude to other people about it.

Look, I liked the movie, and here's why: it's not not the book. If I wanted an exact adaptation, I could have skipped the movie and read the book. The movie does not detract from the book in any way. The book still exists. You can still read it. Furthermore, if you thought that there wasn't going to be some executive meddling in the movie, well, you're naive. People like to see certain things in movies. Romance, action, and the heroes pulling a fast one on an enemy are some of those things. An invisible hobbit doesn't do anything for the screen. Yeah, there are some things that could be done better, but they were done, and didn't affect the original in any way.

The movie is fine. Chill, and don't shit on people for having different tastes than you.

Edit: ninjas.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 05, 2014, 02:19:04 am »

The movie was not fine. It was drivel. In fact, it just gets worse and worse as time passes and I think of all the things that were wrong with it that I didn't immediately notice. If anything, Zrk2 is being too generous.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 05, 2014, 02:23:03 am »

-snip-

Actually, no. This isn't a fight I should be having. There should just be chill here.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 40