Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 40

Author Topic: The Hobbit  (Read 54865 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #345 on: December 15, 2013, 05:25:22 am »

And the elves were the worst. I caught myself sighting audibly when one of the Orc got killed by an arrow in laketown, because that'd mean 10 more minutes of Legolas killing orcs.

Also, some thing simply don't make sense. How did the orcs bring Wargs into laketown discreetly? How can the dwarf ride a stream of molten metal and not roast? Why does laketown got a huge ballista, but apparently a single arrow for it, that doesn't even belong to the city?

The worse part is all those derping are not part of the book, they're stuff Peter Jackson changed.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 15, 2013, 06:01:06 am »

I thought Orc was a word he'd invented himself.
While I can't draw on the origins of the word (mythological origin I bet), its a fact that there is no defined description of what an Orc is. Tolkien 'defined' the Orc, as in details on what they are and everything else. :3

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 15, 2013, 08:14:03 am »

Maybe a little less than 2.5 movies would've covered it well imo, if we account for a spectacular Battle of Five Armies. The Desolation of Smaug had quite a bit of Smaug but was desolate of the desolation. And I can't say that I enjoyed the romantic subplot with smexy dwarf either.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 15, 2013, 12:32:26 pm »

My dad saw it yesterday.  He began reading Tolkien when he was a kid (hence influencing me to do the same).

His only comment was, "I have no idea what book Peter Jackson even read."
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 15, 2013, 12:38:30 pm »

Hm, I actually liked it, once I got over the fact that it's "watered-down Hobbit plus extra material". The character they pulled out of thin air (that elf chick) didn't feel artificial, and the action scenes were self-conscious - as seen in the barrel scene, which basically was pure slapstick.
I'd like to see a faithful Hobbit movie too, though, at some point in the future.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 15, 2013, 12:40:30 pm »

I went to see the Hobbit 2, and saw a 3 hour dwarf fortress trailer instead.

It was cool.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 15, 2013, 12:55:30 pm »

I'm sure I'd enjoy the movie if I saw it and decided to accept it for what it is... but I've decided over the last couple years that I'm taking a personal stand against unfaithful adaptations.

Even if the movie is enjoyable, I'm sick of film producers treating pre-existing fan bases as easy cash-ins.  If you want to make your own story, then make your own story.  If you're really inspired by an older one as you're doing so, then give some credit to that inspiration and admit that it's "inspired by".  But if you have no intention of being at least 90% faithful to the name you're using, then my conclusion is that you're only using that name because you know it will draw in the pre-existing fan base for that name for easy money, so that you can get paid doing whatever the hell you want to do instead of fulfilling the expectations that you're marketing to people who probably have emotional investment in your promises.  I think it's abusive behavior, and I've fed way too much money already into reinforcing it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 12:57:24 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 15, 2013, 01:02:22 pm »

I'd like to see a faithful Hobbit movie too, though, at some point in the future.
Maybe one day, when someone comes to their senses and gives it back to Guillermo del Toro to make. On that day I will fly my golden jetpack to the 4-D Cineplex and rejoice.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 15, 2013, 01:20:53 pm »

As a movie, I like it so far.
As an adaption of the book(s)? Not so much.
However if I am going to nitpick at every movies based on books,
I'm not going to enjoy much.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 15, 2013, 03:58:16 pm »

Adaptation or not, I really didn't like the barrel scene. Twas gratuitous and depended more on the fighting prowess of the Dwarves than Bilbo's smarts.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 15, 2013, 04:46:21 pm »

That was hilarious! And completely contrary to what happened in the original... But the Ork bowling was awesome!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 15, 2013, 09:14:57 pm »

I'd like to see more movies that are actually faithful, truly, to the book.
Given how that's the script and all..the only deviations are either on part of the Director (...for various theatrical purposes maybe? Or to shorten the plot...perhaps?) or...on part of the Director.  :-\

Edit:
I share the same opinion line, but...its just a pervading observation that most movies don't follow the books for some reason.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 09:27:10 pm by Tiruin »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 15, 2013, 09:25:58 pm »

I hold the same opinion.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 16, 2013, 12:24:20 am »

I hold the same opinion.

I somewhat agree, but... I expanded on the rant I posted earlier today in this thread.  It describes pretty well how I also disagree, so I'll just paste it here.

I know what most people will say, and I understand. I'm sure that if I went to see it and made a decision to accept it as what it is, that I could enjoy it. It's true. But I think there's more to it than that. I've decided over the last couple years that I'm taking a personal stand against unfaithful adaptations.

Here's the way I see it. If you want to write your own story, then fucking write your own story and market it as your own story. If your story is inspired by another one, then go ahead and write that fan-fiction. Put that derivative work out there and label it as what it is. People who enjoyed the same thing you did will go see it and be able to enjoy it for what it is, and there's nothing wrong with that. If you can't get paid for doing that because of copyright issues, then too fucking bad. There are thriving communities of people who make fan-fiction films and literature, because it's simply what they want to do, paid work or not. There are millions of people who enjoy those works, and that's a wonderful thing. Yeah, intellectual property sucks horrible ass and needs to die, but if you don't want to be an asshole, then you just have to deal with it for now.

If you use a name that you didn't build, and you don't intend to remain at least 90% faithful to that original material, then I can only conclude that you're shamelessly cashing in. You are deceiving a pre-existing fan base so that you can get paid to do whatever the hell you want, while neglecting the expectations that you intentionally built up in people who were emotionally invested in your promises. You're exactly the same as some no-name fan-fiction writer on Livejournal, the only difference being that you're self-important enough to believe that it's alright for you to lie to everyone so that you can get rich and famous for it.

That is rotten abusive behavior, and I've fed way too much money into reinforcing it. Not going to do it anymore.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 16, 2013, 05:21:23 am »

I agree. I dislike it a great deal when someone takes a classic and changes it. I mean, it's not that it can't be a good movie with changes, it's just that it already could have been a good movie without them and if you do changes no one will be able to see the original story in a way a major production can present it. I haven't paid to see either of the Hobbit movies yet and will probably just wait until it's on television for free.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 05:36:19 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 40