Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 58067 times)

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« on: December 10, 2012, 04:03:45 pm »

Alright then. So if the world does not end on the 21st would somebody be interested in this little challenge?

Basically you have to read at least 52 books this year, that is an average of 1 book a week. I'm going to be starting this challenge and participating as well. If you are interested please tell me so I can add your name and goal. This thread is also a place to discuss books that you have read, give suggestions and discuss the challenge in general. The challenge will start on the 1st of January of 2013 and end on the 31st of December 2013.

Rules:1) Short stories do not count as books, however a collection does.
        2) Graphic novels and children's books don't count.
        3) If it is an omnibus it will count for each book that is in there.
        4) Rereads are allowed as long as they were last read before the 1st of January 2013
        5) If you have reached your goal you must notify me via PM

Resources: Project Gutenberg (An excellent website for free ebooks. Thanks to Flying Dice for the link)
                Baen (Thanks to Strife 26)

Remember, this is for fun, so no cheating!

Let the games begin!

Participants(alphabetically):

10ebbor10 - 52
Ab00 - 52
AnalysisFailed - 52
Ancre - 52
Anzki4 - 52
Barbarossa TSG - 52
Bdthemag - 52
Caz - 100
Ctulhu - 52
Dhokarena56 - 46 (Feb 15th till Dec 31st)
Doomblade187 - 52
Dutchling - 52
Flying Dice - 52
Frumple - 52
Fqllve - 52
GreatJustice - 52
I2amroy - 52
Il palazzo  -52
Japa - 52
Jimmy  - 52
Lectorog - 52
Mictlantecuhtli - 26
Misko27 - 52
Muz - 26
Kansa - 52
Naxza - 52
Palsch - 52
Pisskop - 26
PTTG?? - 52
Sappho - 52
Scelly9 - 100  :o
SHeb - 104
SImmura McCrea - 52
SomeStupidGuy - 52
Strife26 - 26
TherosPherae - 52
Trif - 52
UrbanGiraffe - 52
Urist_McDrowner - 52
Vagel7 - 52
Varnish - 52
Vector - 52
Yoink - 52
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 08:14:30 am by vagel7 »
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 04:10:58 pm »

Sure, count me i! I read a lot of books no matter what, but it might be interesting to actually see how many.

I might try to do it without counting re-reading too. I re-read a lot of books just for the sake of relaxation.

(edit: wait, was I supposed to send you a pm about this?)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 04:12:30 pm by varnish »

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 04:13:58 pm »

Nah, only when you have reached your goal for the year.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 04:15:25 pm »

Probably going to join to. Should be able to manage 52 books.

Just looking for some interesting Ereader books for the moment. I've read most of the interesting part of the local library, so yeah. 

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 04:20:30 pm »

Does... does fanfiction/non-commercial stuff count? Maybe over 100k words? Iirc, that tends to translate into your average novel length. Quick googling showed Pride and Prejudice coming in at around 120k, some of the Harry Potter stuff coming in around 200k. 70k's around 150 pages, 150k 300. Good range, I'd say anything over 60k words, perhaps?

What about sufficiently lengthy graphic novel series? There's definitely some out there that have more text than your average paperback, all told.

With those added in, I'd happily join in. No set goal, but it'd be interesting to keep a tally. If I was actually trying, could probably break the 52 within a month or two :P Over a year's a non-issue, even with my general consumption rate having slowed down a bit lately.

E: Without it, though, nah. Couldn't really afford it, and there's not that many books in the local library I could stomach reading :P
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 04:23:10 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 04:22:14 pm »

Sure, I'm in. I usually read near this amount of books a year, although I haven't been as good lately on reading books.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 04:23:24 pm »

Yeah, I'd like to second the query about lengthy fanfics, because I tend to read nearly as many of those as I do physical books, especially when I'm away at uni and can't bring half my library with me.

In any case, in.

Spoiler: YE LIST (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 04:07:31 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 04:26:12 pm »

Only a select few people will read a fanfic, so it wouldn't really provide a whole lot of discussion in the thread for you and maybe one other person to talk about your favorite My Little Pony fanfiction.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 04:31:10 pm »

Only a select few people will read a fanfic, so it wouldn't really provide a whole lot of discussion in the thread for you and maybe one other person to talk about your favorite My Little Pony fanfiction.

Only a select few people will read a novel, so it wouldn't really provide a whole lot of discussion in the thread for you and maybe one other person to talk about your favorite Piers Anthony novel.

Generalizations sure are fun, aren't they?

3. Run Resize Enable

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 04:35:30 pm »

This sounds like fun so sign me up. Seems like a good challenge too. Technically possible while still basically requiring you to read all the time. Unless you read like, the collected works of HG Wells in January.

As for the fanfiction, I'd say even down to 40k words would be fair, because that's the lower limit on what most people would consider a book. I don't plan on reading any myself, but in the interest of fairness it seems ok.

Graphic novels is more of a stretch though, as that's a completely different medium.

Spoiler: Books (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 09:07:06 pm by fqllve »
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 04:42:21 pm »

Greatorder, are you in?

Lengthy fan fiction is okay, but graphical novels are still not allowed. I like graphical novels too, but they wouldn't fit.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 04:44:16 pm »

Honestly, another reason I supported the inclusion of lengthy fanfictions is because I've only got a backlog of ~25 books to read, don't want to reread a bunch of stuff so soon after last reading it, and don't have enough spare cash kicking around to go and get a few dozen more. Incidentally, here's a handy link:

Project Gutenburg

There are a number of other free ebook libraries, but I've been satisfied with this.

3. Run Resize Enable

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 04:45:11 pm »

The challenge is stated as books, and not novels, so I would think that leaves a lot of things open. I do have some questions of my own though. Would collections of letter or periodicals count? What about published diaries and journals?

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 04:51:34 pm »

Published diaries and journals would. Give me an example of what you mean by collections of letters. Periodicals won't count.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 04:53:05 pm »

Alright then.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 50