Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you left-handed?

Yes
No

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: How many Bay 12ers are left-handed?  (Read 7438 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
How many Bay 12ers are left-handed?
« on: December 09, 2012, 10:12:38 pm »

Just something I'm interested in. I'm left-handed, and wondering how many other left-handers are on Bay12.

EDIT: Here's a survey I want those who are left-handed to take.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 12:28:35 am by inteuniso »
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: How many Bay 12ers are left-handed?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 10:14:56 pm »

I am!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 10:16:23 pm »

There needs to be a "No, and all your lefties are weird" option, I think. Also, one for the ambidextrous crowd.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 10:16:43 pm »

I'm not. My father is, though. I also occasionally practice various things with my left hand. I can actually write better with it than my right since I have to put mental effort into what I'm doing, though it is somewhat uncomfortable.

Though I also occasionally practice using my feet in lieu of my hands as well, so perhaps I'm just weird. Weird, and prepared to compensate in the event of limbs being crippled and/or lost!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 10:22:20 pm »

Well the ratio of lefties to righties is 1 left-hander for every 7 right-handers, So assuming a large enough sample I think we'd approach that point. It would be interesting to see what our ratio is though.

As for ambidextrous, I personally think that they should probably vote for dominant hand (or whichever one they like more). Since true ambidextrousity is a rare skill (and can be learned) it would be more interesting to see what we are genetically.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 10:24:27 pm »

Hello, left handed comrades.

Let us overthrow the righties and instate left handed extreme-left society.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 10:26:15 pm »

My right hand is definitely the stronger of the two, but I use a left-handed stance in things like hockey, oddly enough.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 10:31:44 pm »

Since true ambidextrousity is a rare skill (and can be learned) it would be more interesting to see what we are genetically.
True ambidextrousity cannot be learned.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Doctus

• Bay Watcher
  • 黄昏よりも昏きもの…
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 10:35:18 pm »

Well the ratio of lefties to righties is 1 left-hander for every 7 right-handers, So assuming a large enough sample I think we'd approach that point. It would be interesting to see what our ratio is though.
I suspect we'll see a higher-than-typical proportion of left-handers due to self-selection bias; the poll is probably more likely to grab their attention than that of right-handers.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 10:39:33 pm »

I'm right-'anded.

I like poll-voting.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 10:40:14 pm »

Since true ambidextrousity is a rare skill (and can be learned) it would be more interesting to see what we are genetically.
True ambidextrousity cannot be learned.
Genetic ambidextrousity cannot, yes. However it is fully possible to train yourself to the point where you can do any task so that the difference between your right and left hands is unnoticeable. I have a friend who is genetically left-handed, but due to an elementary teacher that forced him to do everything right-handed is now ambidextrous for all intents and purposes. Even when learning new tasks he can handle them equally well with both hands, yet genetically his left hand is still dominant. Studies have estimated that really only about 1 in 100 people are naturally ambidextrous, with the majority of people defining themselves as "ambidextrous" actually being lefties who just learned to use their right hand as well.

I suspect we'll see a higher-than-typical proportion of left-handers due to self-selection bias; the poll is probably more likely to grab their attention than that of right-handers.
I was thinking the same thing. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 10:49:12 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 10:49:57 pm »

It is possible to outright switch your dominant hand.

Anyhow there is a trick to telling what hand a person is irregardless of what hand they use to write.

Just make them write the letter S somehow (make sure you make it a whole word so they don't try to intentionally throw you off)

A left handed person will start at the bottom. A Right handed person will start at the top.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 10:52:29 pm »

It is possible to outright switch your dominant hand.

Anyhow there is a trick to telling what hand a person is irregardless of what hand they use to write.

Just make them write the letter S somehow (make sure you make it a whole word so they don't try to intentionally throw you off)

A left handed person will start at the bottom. A Right handed person will start at the top.

I write my S's from the top, that's odd doctor Neon. I first trained writing in cursive [from a smelly tome] at a young age, where I learned I was better with my left than right at writing.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 10:54:50 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 10:54:39 pm »

I'm left handed. But I've injured my left hand so much more than my right throughout my life that I use both equally well now besides the fact that now my left wrist is almost too stiff to move after another injury.

I can't write for shit with either hand though. My handwriting has always been entirely unreadable to anyone besides me.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9