Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you left-handed?

Yes
No

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: How many Bay 12ers are left-handed?  (Read 7422 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How many Bay 12ers are left-handed?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 10:55:24 pm »

I write my S's from the top, that's odd doctor Neon. I first trained writing in cursive [from a smelly tome] at a young age, where I learned I was better with my left than right at writing

Indeed that is very odd on you. Given that being left handed means that the first part of an S starts from the left side which would be the side you are writing from.

It is very telling of your schooling Mictlantecuhtli.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 11:00:24 pm »

I write my S's from the top, that's odd doctor Neon. I first trained writing in cursive [from a smelly tome] at a young age, where I learned I was better with my left than right at writing

Indeed that is very odd on you. Given that being left handed means that the first part of an S starts from the left side which would be the side you are writing from.

It is very telling of your schooling Mictlantecuhtli.
???
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 11:02:07 pm »

I was speaking very seriously... though I admit it is silly.

But what I meant Mictlantecuhtli is that you likely were taught how to write motion by motion.

Doctus

• Bay Watcher
  • 黄昏よりも昏きもの…
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 11:04:24 pm »

I'm right-handed and start "S" from the bottom.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 11:05:24 pm »

I'm right-handed and start "S" from the bottom.

Very odd too. These are the only two exceptions I've seen out of the many people I've tested this on.

I'd also would like to know why these exceptions exist.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 11:06:23 pm »

I'm left-handed and start them from the top.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 11:06:50 pm »

Right handed and start them from the top.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2012, 11:07:58 pm »

I start from the middle because I'm an avant-garde nonconformist rebel.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2012, 11:08:10 pm »

Hmmm

The only other writing observation I ever made is that people who are right handed will start the lower case e from the center sometimes... or rather that people who are left handed will RARELY start from the center.

Simply because it is easier to extend then contract.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2012, 11:10:43 pm »

I'm left-handed, and I always draw it from the center. It's easy, sorta like an outward spiral.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2012, 11:12:25 pm »

I'm left-handed, and I always draw it from the center. It's easy, sorta like an outward spiral.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2012, 11:13:16 pm »

It is possible to outright switch your dominant hand.
Uhh... I'm going to have to politely call bullshit on this.
As someone who's written with my right hand for 10 years, and my left hand for three months, I think I can say you're wrong about that.  My left hand is so much better than my right, I'm finally able to turn in hand-written essays (which I've never been able to do before).  As soon as I switched, my writing became legible.
It's actually really funny I didn't realize it.  More than half of the men in my family, including extended, are lefties.

Oh, and it's a lot easier to write from top-to-bottom, usually.  Or from the center, in the case of the 'e.'  It's really more a matter of friction than hand muscles.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:14:51 pm by Thecard »

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2012, 11:14:19 pm »

A couple things that I could see influencing how you write your S's (boy that looks funny).
1)For the lefties starting at the top a lot of schools use books that teach you writing by copying. So they give you a starting arrow and then connect the dot's, similar to this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The result is that everyone learns how to write it the right handed way, regardless of their left-handedness.

2)As for the people starting at the bottom, my guess would be that you were either interested about how fast you could write or had problems getting your writing to be on the bottom line as a kid. Starting from the bottom both ensures that you end on the right side (which speeds your handwriting up) as well as ensuring that all of your letters rest on the same line and you never end up with an 'S' that looks like a 'Ç' because you ran out of room due to the large upper arc.

You on the other hand obviously had none of those write 20 'S's in a minute competitions when you were learning to write, as your way takes two strokes of the pen instead of one, which would take much longer. You rebel you! :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2012, 11:15:22 pm »

It is more accurate to say that you can have your dominant hand suppressed by force. Plenty of stories out there about teachers who would beat the left hands of children until they became swollen to force them to use their right hand.

Suppressing hand dominance can actually cause serious mental illness and emotional scars that never really heal.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2012, 11:17:22 pm »

It is more accurate to say that you can have your dominant hand suppressed by force. Plenty of stories out there about teachers who would beat the left hands of children until they became swollen to force them to use their right hand.

Suppressing hand dominance can actually cause serious mental illness and emotional scars that never really heal.
Yes.
Also, I have to say that it is harder to focus when you're using your non-dominant hand.  Not entirely sure why, but I've noticed that.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9