- 0 (0%)
Pythagoras (Recovery ship)
- 0 (0%)
Julius (transforming drone)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 13, 2012, 01:24:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 31

Author Topic: You are a spaceship designer  (Read 24635 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: You are a spaceship designer
« Reply #405 on: December 19, 2012, 04:20:15 pm »

You could add some aditionall lenses in the design, allowing for the drone to recieve incoming lasers from it's friends and add their strength to it's own. Then it would really be a bridge of light.
It could probably do something like that with the solar panels...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 19, 2012, 04:24:58 pm »

You could add some aditionall lenses in the design, allowing for the drone to recieve incoming lasers from it's friends and add their strength to it's own. Then it would really be a bridge of light.
Nah. That is only power transmission. The max strength of one individual laser is still limited by the laser strength of the drone. Besides, you'd probably destroy the panels.

The plan is that far of drones could fire at closer to combat drones, which could then redirect those lasers, as well as firing their own. Allow far off lasers to contribute to the fight with meaningfull accuracy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 19, 2012, 04:36:28 pm »

Nah. That is only power transmission. The max strength of one individual laser is still limited by the laser strength of the drone. Besides, you'd probably destroy the panels.

The plan is that far of drones could fire at closer to combat drones, which could then redirect those lasers, as well as firing their own. Allow far off lasers to contribute to the fight with meaningfull accuracy.
Well, lasers are light. And I modified the entry to mention that the solar panels were reinforced to stand up to lasers, letting them be able to divert more power to the lasers.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 19, 2012, 04:42:22 pm »

Solar pannel Efficiency (which will be less than 50%. Less than 20% if mass produced. Especially since you're reinforcing it*) and overheating errors will make it harder to do that. Just redirecting the laser with a simple lens is much, much easier.

*Also, the power production of a solar pannel is not identical with the amount of light it produces. There's a max cap on what it can physically produce, unless you're making like foot thick pannels.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 19, 2012, 04:49:23 pm »

Solar pannel Efficiency (which will be less than 50%. Less than 20% if mass produced. Especially since you're reinforcing it*) and overheating errors will make it harder to do that. Just redirecting the laser with a simple lens is much, much easier.

*Also, the power production of a solar pannel is not identical with the amount of light it produces. There's a max cap on what it can physically produce, unless you're making like foot thick pannels.
Okay, fine, I'll be less effective. After all, a lens can only be so big, so that means the drones would need to be much closer. Unless we wanted to completely remove the power generation, which I don't. We get paid more if a swarm of Bïfrost-I's get built to provide electricity in addition to the war fleets.
Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 19, 2012, 04:57:37 pm »

Not really. If your drones maintain position, and the laser has a decent accuracy, it should be able to work perfectly fine. Secondly, because the range the transmission works at is equal to the effective range of the drones, this is not a problem. You'd just redirect from drone to drone in a long chain, maintaining accuracy and powering up the laser constantly. A failure will fry the drone, but that would happen if you were firing at the solar pannels too.

The laser powerup will be neglible, because if the laser wasn't functioning at full capacity due to power shortages, you should have just added more solar pannels.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 19, 2012, 05:31:41 pm »

Already changed to lenses.
Sig

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 19, 2012, 08:46:15 pm »

Ok, so basically those are the 3 projects we are doing? Then I guess it's time for a new poll UKR(we'll have time to finalize the details after we choose a project)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 19, 2012, 08:48:31 pm »

Lasers that can be redirected with lenses may have issues as weapons... Also, combining lasers would require a great degree of precision, the lens would probably need to be the centre of gravity on the drone for a start...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 19, 2012, 08:50:21 pm »

Lasers that can be redirected with lenses may have issues as weapons... Also, combining lasers would require a great degree of precision, the lens would probably need to be the centre of gravity on the drone for a start...
Probably, yeah. It's not something that would be useful for general purposes--the Bïfrosts' biggest advantage is their numbers, which is kinda out the window if they only fire a couple lasers at once. It's more a marketing thing that's also useful against armored spacecraft. Besides, if there's one thing drones do well, it's precision.
Sig

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 19, 2012, 08:54:36 pm »

good points.

and if we have them communicate via lasers then they are allready going to be set up in a way that will work.
(assumed that we are using laser communications, but hey, light IS fastest... right?)
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 19, 2012, 08:56:19 pm »

Yeah I'm pretty sure we can set it up to where the occulus and these drones can communicate with each other via lasers since that makes very good sense
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 19, 2012, 08:58:49 pm »

yep.
hey, what are the sensor drones powered by?
if there is extra power, think of what we can do! (increase power of the weapon drones)
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 19, 2012, 09:05:01 pm »

Oh boy...I just had a crazy thought where we made a variety of drones which use the Occulus base, including manufacturing drones and drones people live in. They all communicated and could act as a single unit, like a swarm of insects. Then the drones turned on us, so let's be wary of those construction drones.
Sig

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 20, 2012, 03:12:38 pm »

Sorry guys, my working schedule is rather busy in the last days of year. It by no means dead, I just can't find a calm hour or two to concentrate on the game and fill the holes in mechanics and making the second update.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 31