- 0 (0%)
Pythagoras (Recovery ship)
- 0 (0%)
Julius (transforming drone)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 13, 2012, 01:24:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31

Author Topic: You are a spaceship designer  (Read 24600 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a spaceship designer
« Reply #420 on: December 20, 2012, 03:14:48 pm »

S'okay, if you need to suspend this temporarily and return at the beginning of next year, we understand. I can relate to end of year crunches
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 20, 2012, 03:23:15 pm »

I think I'll make an update on the weekend

oh, and little change - From now on all projects are one month long... multiturn designs added way to many unneeded rolls for little

And yes, you'll get Valhalla production ready next turn
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 20, 2012, 03:52:48 pm »

Ah, that means now ANYTHING can be proposed seriously! So, I'd like to change from my Voror to my Thor siege frigate. With a few of THOSE around, the pirates would probably have to find some OTHER system to inhabit
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 20, 2012, 03:55:51 pm »

can we build one? they sound sortof big...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 20, 2012, 04:00:14 pm »

Good question, I mean, how much metals do they ACTUALLY have? if the answer is enough for a couple of them, then its ok, because we can get more metals from pirate wrecks and restarting metals mining from the asteroid belt after clearing and securing enough of it.

....Come to think of it, why isn't the INNER asteroid belt being mined? I mean, it's probably not as rich as the thicker belt, but that doesn't mean mining it isn't a worthwhile endeavor for needed metals....

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 20, 2012, 04:14:52 pm »

hmmm. and easier to defend, as there is less area...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 20, 2012, 04:26:49 pm »

Inner asteroid belt is a very hot place.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 20, 2012, 04:31:05 pm »

However, the closer you get the higher the average density. These clumps should be pure metal. Solar activity will be a bitch though.

As for the laser alignment system. The connecting is supposed to be a permanent thing. Not something that would be achieved midbattle. You have all the time of the world to achieve the link.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 20, 2012, 04:47:21 pm »

BRAINSTORM! I got to thinking the problem with that inner belt is the besides the sparseness its closeness to the star might make it difficult to work, and I came up with ways around that... and that got me to THIS ship:

Name:(TBD)
Size:Corvette
Team:Everyone
Estimated Time:
Description:This dual-role,long and narrow corvette-sized ship is designed to operate and in the hostile environment close to stars. For that, it is covered in proprietary CCC (Crystal Ceramic Composite) Plating design to absorb and dissipate the incredible heat and radiation of near-star orbit. This non-metal plating uses atomic thermal compression structuring to achieve an incredible hardness, radiation dissipation, heat resistance, and durability that is rated for operations up to near-orbit with a B-class star. In addition, the CCC plating doubles nicely as a strong armor plating against hostile actions from other craft.
  This vessel's mission is to specifically act as a small mobile mining base for TR-12's inner asteroid field. To this end, besides the CCC plating, it has an 8-points clamp for securing it to asteroids, a core tunneling rig for tunneling into rock and providing a safe place for miners to work(as well as creating a passageway from the ship to the mining site), and a generous cargo bay as well as 4 light laser turrets for defense should it encounter vessels hostile to it on its way to deliver its cargo. It also boasts good speed since there are situations where even it might want to reposition quickly(such as a brewing solar flare)
 As well, the qualities that make this an excellent hostile-environment miner (it has atmo capability, so it can even mine the more desolate and unforgiving reaches of the planet!) also make it a very good assault craft for attacking other ships with the idea of boarding actions. This ship can take quite a bit of punishment with the CCC armor(allowing it to get close to another ship while under fire), the 8 points clamp can be used on ships as well as asteroids, the tunneling rig can easily double as an assault dock, the cargo holds can hold a generous abount of troops and the laser turrets can easily destroy ships that are too small to board.
Priorities:CCC armor 3, 8 points clamp 1, tunneling rig 1

Can anyone think of a good norse name for this?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 06:08:30 pm by tryrar »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 20, 2012, 04:54:07 pm »

The armor is highly reflective right. Because if you want to stay that close to the sun for more than a few minutes, you're going to have to shed heat someway.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 20, 2012, 06:06:43 pm »

...its in the description that it does dissipate heat, so yah, it is pretty reflective

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 20, 2012, 06:27:06 pm »

can we have heatsinks that also provide power?theyll also act as armor.

like a layer of shielding, armor, heatsink, geothermal bits for power then more armor?
Highly Opinionated Fool

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 20, 2012, 07:58:33 pm »

hmmm, I was thinking that we'd provide all power with an internal fusion plant. That setup you proposed sounds like it'd be structurally weak

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 20, 2012, 08:11:32 pm »

well, it WAS an idea. besides, we have all this heat, and it WAS for a backup system...
Highly Opinionated Fool

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 20, 2012, 08:16:49 pm »

....no need to get sarcastic. I'm perfectly capable of debating this without resorting to sarcasm you know.

As for your diea, I was mainly objecting to the geothermal bits, as I envisioned the armor as one solid layer with built in heatsinks. Having heatsinks that can putt a direct heat-to-energy conversion sounds like a good idea for an auxiliary power system, but having layered armor like that might not be a good idea.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31