Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: A Public Apology  (Read 17568 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: A Public Apology
« Reply #165 on: December 08, 2012, 11:31:51 am »

Yeah, compared to all the messed up people/posts on this forum, I'm going to say this wasn't particularly bad.

I'm not aware of any such things. Such a statement worries me. :/
You haven't read Girlinhat's "Dwarven Day Care" thread, then. xD

Or the fact that Toady nerfed the value of mermaid byproducts specifically because of the infamous "mermaid farming" thread. Or the "worst things you've ever done" thread.

Some of the stuff in DF General Discussion would probably be grounds for psychiatric evaluation.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 08, 2012, 11:43:45 am »

Yeah, compared to all the messed up people/posts on this forum, I'm going to say this wasn't particularly bad.

I'm not aware of any such things. Such a statement worries me. :/
You haven't read Girlinhat's "Dwarven Day Care" thread, then. xD

Or the fact that Toady nerfed the value of mermaid byproducts specifically because of the infamous "mermaid farming" thread. Or the "worst things you've ever done" thread.

Some of the stuff in DF General Discussion would probably be grounds for psychiatric evaluation.
Or, as I stated right out of the bat here, Dwarven abortions.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 08, 2012, 12:22:39 pm »

AFAIK, that mermaid stuff was hilarious and encouraged (not that I indulged in any of it, mind you.) It's when you get real person x real person... 'complications' does it become creepy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #168 on: December 08, 2012, 12:36:30 pm »

person x real person
Fundamental rule of the internet:
Do not bring it into real life, do not bring real life into it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 08, 2012, 12:39:04 pm »

Toady didn't just nerf Mermaids, he made them [SAPIENT] so they couldn't be butchered anymore.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 08, 2012, 03:45:47 pm »

You know mom used to tell me not to believe magazine ads but you know what I said to her?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 08, 2012, 05:56:06 pm »

Toady didn't just nerf Mermaids, he made them [SAPIENT] so they couldn't be butchered anymore.
That was probably an oversight in the first place though.

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 09, 2012, 01:59:50 am »

That was probably an oversight in the first place though.

So uhm.From discussing erotica we are now discussing modding?Seems legit!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 09, 2012, 02:45:36 am »

What do you mean by RP threads? There have been plenty of RP threads made in Forum Games and Roleplaying that have run their course without being locked. If there were RP threads made in General Discussion that were locked, that only makes sense since they were made in the wrong section.

bay12 RPs = RPs about the forum, the community, and/or it's members.
Yes, and there have been at least three of those that I am aware of: after someone predicted the end of the world back in 2011 there was an apocalypse RP where we roleplayed ourselves responding to various apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic scenarios happening all at once. Now there were a lot people powergaming and making themselves wizards and spamming so much that normal people couldn't get a word in, but it didn't end in a lock.

Then there was Keeping up with Bay 12, which was about Bay12ers living in an apartment complex somewhere. I didn't ever participate because very soon it was overcome with the same stupidity that ruined the apocalypse RP, but it didn't end in a lock and it even got a reboot later on for some reason.

And before those I think Maximum Zero or someone else started up a where people played themselves on a desert island. It didn't get locked and it didn't devolve into a godmoding-fest because people were statted-out and therefore had something to tell them that they couldn't just be all powerful wizards and avoided the problems of the other two (though I think it didn't last long because some people stopped posting, which is what happens with forum games).

So I don't really know what you mean by bay 12 rp threads were all closed.

Yeah, there were a few others that I'd vaguely recall. Freeform RP doesn't work all that well. People get busy with stuff and can't post for awhile, while simultaneously the whole thread goes all kudzu-y on everyone.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 09, 2012, 03:04:18 am »

Yup

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 09, 2012, 03:22:39 am »

What do you mean by RP threads? There have been plenty of RP threads made in Forum Games and Roleplaying that have run their course without being locked. If there were RP threads made in General Discussion that were locked, that only makes sense since they were made in the wrong section.

Yes, and there have been at least three of those that I am aware of: after someone predicted the end of the world back in 2011 there was an apocalypse RP where we roleplayed ourselves responding to various apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic scenarios happening all at once. Now there were a lot people powergaming and making themselves wizards and spamming so much that normal people couldn't get a word in, but it didn't end in a lock.

Then there was Keeping up with Bay 12, which was about Bay12ers living in an apartment complex somewhere. I didn't ever participate because very soon it was overcome with the same stupidity that ruined the apocalypse RP, but it didn't end in a lock and it even got a reboot later on for some reason.

And before those I think Maximum Zero or someone else started up a where people played themselves on a desert island. It didn't get locked and it didn't devolve into a godmoding-fest because people were statted-out and therefore had something to tell them that they couldn't just be all powerful wizards and avoided the problems of the other two (though I think it didn't last long because some people stopped posting, which is what happens with forum games).

Dear god, don't remind me about Keeping up with Bay12. If I remember, I think I had some part in creating that in a random thread in general discussion. It was so terrible, and I was equally terrible in it. Every time I think back to it, I cringe.

But to agree, yeah. Freeform RP's just don't work out. You're giving people too much freedom, and when you give someone too much freedom they'll do something stupid. I haven't been in a single freeform RP that has ever, ever turned out decent.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 09, 2012, 04:28:00 am »

I haven't been in a single freeform RP that has ever, ever turned out decent.
First of all that is a lie, LaFotM is turning out fine.
Secondly, oh my fething god you guys just let this damn thread die. Serisouly, it served its pupose and now your just beating a dead horse. Let this die.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 09, 2012, 04:33:38 am »

Dear god, don't remind me about Keeping up with Bay12. If I remember, I think I had some part in creating that in a random thread in general discussion. It was so terrible, and I was equally terrible in it. Every time I think back to it, I cringe.

But to agree, yeah. Freeform RP's just don't work out. You're giving people too much freedom, and when you give someone too much freedom they'll do something stupid. I haven't been in a single freeform RP that has ever, ever turned out decent.
Oh, yeah, definitely. I think one of the things that killed my space roleplay from awhile back was the fact that it was freeform and there wasn't really anything to define how big or powerful a ship should be (though the fact that I made people fill out basic character sheets and ask before including anything supernatural helped to keep things from going as crazy as most freeform games).

Of course, this means I don't know what to do when I do want to run a game again. I want to run a new (different setting) space game, but I can't go back to freeform, I can't find a system that will work, I don't know how to homebrew a system (I once asked advice on this, and people basically responded with, "what do you mean you don't know what to do? It comes naturally. Maybe you should just go do it; that should work." I understand that they may not know cognitively how they're doing it, butI'm not sure how that was supposed to be helpful in any way).

So, yeah, freeform does suck. I just wish I knew how to do something better.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 09, 2012, 05:26:28 am »

Secondly, oh my fething god you guys just let this damn thread die. Serisouly, it served its pupose and now your just beating a dead horse. Let this die.
NO!WE MUST CALL ALL ACTIVE PARAMEDICS.
DON'T DIE ON ME HORSEY DON'T DIE ON MEEEE!!

Why do people hate ships so much?What did they do to you?

See?What did you accomplish?Nothing!You just destroyed a nice ship!

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 09, 2012, 05:39:16 am »

Dude, seirsouly. Just let this fucking thread die, its really stupid and not really producing anything.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13