Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you like me to do after this next round of bugfixing on RandCreatures?

Extract even MORE data - I want to customize what I get.
- 50 (24.3%)
Megabeasts and semimegabeasts need more work.
- 15 (7.3%)
Why no vermin? I want to annoy the heck out of myself.
- 10 (4.9%)
Nothing swims underwater?! How could you? I want aquatic life.
- 60 (29.1%)
Let's have (rare) random creatures that breathe fire and/or poison you to death.
- 34 (16.5%)
Forget RandCreatures; work on LangCreate.
- 17 (8.3%)
Zombie's Toothbrush.
- 6 (2.9%)
Make birds more birdlike.
- 12 (5.8%)
I want something else, but I'll suggest it in-thread.
- 2 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 205

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17

Author Topic: LangCreate (v34 and v40) and RandCreatures (v34, being rewritten)  (Read 83641 times)

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LangCreate 1.0 and RandCreatures 0.2.0 (RandCreatures updated)
« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2013, 10:29:58 pm »

I agree with your reasons for making the change but could you explain something.
In your previous changelog you said
- The program will automatically round decimal numbers, so OS won't be an issue (unless you're using Wine - sorry, MasterMorality)
but now you say
It doesn't break anything
Are you contradicting that changelog now?
If you are why did you post it in the first place?

If you're having issues with the newer release, it probably has more of something to do with the fact that the randomly generated civilizations produce their own language raws now.
I can only test 0.2.0, it is the only version I have and it does not work in WINE.
Code: [Select]
env WINEPREFIX="/home/arclance/.wine" wine "RandCreatures.exe"
fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"runtime" in state 1
fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"assemblyBinding" in state 3
fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"probing" in state 3
* Assertion at mini-generic-sharing.c:825, condition `oti' not met

abnormal program termination
err:mscoree:expect_no_runtimes Process exited with a Mono runtime loaded.
If you post a link to a older version I could try it in WINE.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2013, 10:41:34 pm »

Ah, I see what you're saying now. No, the rounding of decimal numbers has nothing to do with it not working in Wine. I was simply stating that OS wouldn't be an issue, unless you were using Wine. The decimal numbers was related to it not working in operating systems based in languages other than English.

The rounding decimal numbers fix breaks nothing. I also doubt at this point that the older version will work any better in Wine, because that was the version MasterMorality was having trouble with. I'm completely open to trying to find a workaround/fix to get it to work in Wine, though, and I'll put some research into seeing if I can get it to work... no promises, though. I don't personally own a PC with Wine, so I can't run any tests.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 10:48:26 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2013, 01:45:30 pm »

I take it Wine is some form of emulator? What space does it seek to emulate- windows, mac or linux?
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 17, 2013, 01:56:32 pm »

"Wine", originally meaning "Windows Emulator", is now an acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator". So... it's hard to say. It's meant to run on unix-based systems (?) like Ubuntu, I'm pretty sure, and it lets you run Windows programs, so in response to that question... I'm guessing Windows. If it's an emulator. :\

edit:
On doing a little reasearch, arclance, I think your problem may have a little bit of something to do with Mono... Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to get around that. :\ If I understand right, Mono is a substitute/replacement for Microsoft .Net Framework, which I think Windows PCs come with pre-installed. .Net Framework is something that RandCreatures requires to run, so your solution may lie with finding a workable replacement. Just an idea, though.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 02:00:28 pm by Talvieno »

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 17, 2013, 01:59:06 pm »

That complicates things. I was going to throw random programs at it until it cried and see why.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 17, 2013, 04:09:36 pm »

"Wine", originally meaning "Windows Emulator", is now an acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator". So... it's hard to say. It's meant to run on unix-based systems (?) like Ubuntu, I'm pretty sure, and it lets you run Windows programs, so in response to that question... I'm guessing Windows. If it's an emulator. :\

edit:
On doing a little reasearch, arclance, I think your problem may have a little bit of something to do with Mono... Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to get around that. :\ If I understand right, Mono is a substitute/replacement for Microsoft .Net Framework, which I think Windows PCs come with pre-installed. .Net Framework is something that RandCreatures requires to run, so your solution may lie with finding a workable replacement. Just an idea, though.
Wine is a interface layer that passes commands back and forth between their Unix/Linux and Windows equivalents.
No matter what the Wine people say some things are emulated, like the Windows registry, but most of it is not.
It fills the same purpose as an emulator but being a interface layer gives it higher performance.

Mono is needed to get .NET 4.0 and higher (though only up to 4.X is close to complete feature wise).
If you can make do with .NET 2.0 or 3.0 you can get those working acceptably without Mono in Wine.
The only other option is to use a Windows Virtual Machine which most Linux users don't want to or can't (no install disk) do.
I use them for things Wine can't handle but don't need to run on real hardware, only if I don't need DirectX or the full power of my processor.
You need a powerful computer to get acceptable performance out of them and at least 2GiB (preferably 4GiB or more) of RAM to really run one.

What I found about the error seemed to indicate it was a particular use of .NET that caused the crash.
Maybe you can look at some of the bug reports with code examples to see if anything you are doing matches what they report and maybe find a way to do it differently.
If you want easier cross platform compatibility you could switch to coding in Python or Java so your code can run natively on other platforms than Windows, that would probably be hard at this point though.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 05:01:25 pm by arclance »
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 17, 2013, 04:54:11 pm »

If it's .NET issues, then I can't help in any way either- my .net is fucked up on my laptop anyway.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #142 on: March 01, 2013, 08:26:36 am »

I have major problem getting this updated version to run with my mod. I have crashes whenever a entity is generated. First I thought its because the program tries to assign items that dont exist anymore (like veils/scarfs, which I removed) so I looked through the items in the randomdat file and fitted everything nicely for Masterwork.

Still, crashes. I checked this thread, and saw that a language_sym and language_dwarf is needed. I had all in one language_all file, so I did split the dwarf language back into its own file. Still, crashes. I then compared the vanilla language files with the ones I use, and of course mine are modded. There was a big project adding more words and grammar to the game, which I include.

If I use the vanilla language files, it works. The modded ones? It crashes. Talvieno, I really hope you can fix this somehow, because otherwise I have to choose between the language upgrade or the creature generator.

Here are the two files.
http://www.mediafire.com/?061h7k9gq116mh3

EDIT: I managed to fix one of the two. I added language_dwarf.txt from the vanilla game, and renamed the modded version to language_dwarf_m and use it for my dwarven civ. I can now generate random entity languages without a crash, BUT the language_sym file needs to be vanilla as well. And I cant assign a modded one to my modded civs, which is problematic. The new words I use are not assigned to any symbols, and therefore not used.

Question:
Any way to accept modded language_sym.txt files?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:40:20 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 01, 2013, 09:24:32 am »

I'm not sure exactly what's causing the problem off the top of my head - it ought to be able to run modded language raws the same as vanilla - but I'll take a look at it. Worst case scenario, I write a version of it specifically for Masterwork, but I'll make sure it gets done.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 01, 2013, 09:31:51 am »

Found it. It's really simple, actually, but I hadn't built anything to protect against it. This is the start of the vanilla file:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And this is the start of the modded file:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
See the difference? I had it programmed to ignore the first five lines. The extra space made it so that it ought to ignore the first six, but it tried to read [TRANSLATION:DWARF] as a word line, splitting it into two parts at the ":". Normally, that would split it into three parts ("   [T_WORD" "ABBEY "kulet]"), so when it looked for the third variable in the array, it crashed. Easily fixed, and I don't have to change a thing - just take out the extra space (unless you need it there, in which case I'll get to work). I'm not experiencing the crashes with SYM, though, so I'm not entirely sure what's going on there.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #145 on: March 01, 2013, 09:57:51 am »

Thank you, it works now. :) One empty line, eh? ^^
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 02, 2013, 11:18:42 pm »

Yep, that's all it was.

Arclance - I've looked into your problem with running it on Wine - I can't really seem to find anything that'll make it work, unfortunately. I could rewrite it in Java, but my working knowledge of Java is minimal. I can do basic tasks with ease, but this requires setting up something a little more complex than I'm used to. I've been veering away from porting all 4000+ lines of code to something else for obvious reasons. I'll try to see what I can do, though.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 06, 2013, 04:45:31 pm »

Arclance - I've looked into your problem with running it on Wine - I can't really seem to find anything that'll make it work, unfortunately. I could rewrite it in Java, but my working knowledge of Java is minimal. I can do basic tasks with ease, but this requires setting up something a little more complex than I'm used to. I've been veering away from porting all 4000+ lines of code to something else for obvious reasons. I'll try to see what I can do, though.
Okay, thanks for letting me know what you found.
In my experience Python would be a lot easier to work with than Java if you don't have a lot of experience with either language.
There is a lot more fiddly setup with Java that I never liked and made things hard if you were not familiar with it.
Sigtext

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #148 on: March 09, 2013, 11:06:01 am »

When I randomly generate creatures from the launcher, the entities that are generated are kind of broken. They end up with things like [ETHIC:[STONE_PREF]] and a ton of untagged lines that don't do anything (no square brackets, no context), like:
NATURE
VENGEANCE
WAR
etc.

I just got this report... I did delete several entries from the entity data file you include, because these items dont exist anmore, or are renamed in the mod. Do you think I have caused this bug?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 14, 2013, 11:01:51 am »

Sorry it took me a bit to respond. I wasn't alerted via email, so thanks for the PM.

The data file (randomdat.txt) reads each of the sections a different way. The first part isn't read line-for-line - you could insert new items or remove them without any serious consequences. The second one is. If you remove a line, it'll take the data and try to use it anyway. For example... changing this:

[SHIELD:ITEM_SHIELD_SHIELD],[SHIELD:ITEM_SHIELD_BUCKLER]
[INSTRUMENT:ITEM_INSTRUMENT_FLUTE],[INSTRUMENT:ITEM_INSTRUMENT_TRUMPET],[INSTRUMENT:ITEM_INSTRUMENT_HARP],[INSTRUMENT:ITEM_INSTRUMENT_DRUM],[INSTRUMENT:ITEM_INSTRUMENT_PICCOLO]
[TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_CAULDRON],[TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_LADLE],[TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_BOWL],[TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_MORTAR],[TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_PESTLE],[TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_KNIFE_CARVING],[TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_KNIFE_SLICING],[TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_KNIFE_MEAT_CLEAVER],[TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_FORK_CARVING],[TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_NEST_BOX],[TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_JUG],[TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_LARGE_POT],[TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_HIVE],[TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_HONEYCOMB],[TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_POUCH],[TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_MINECART],[TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_WHEELBARROW]
[TOY:ITEM_TOY_PUZZLEBOX],[TOY:ITEM_TOY_BOAT],[TOY:ITEM_TOY_HAMMER],[TOY:ITEM_TOY_AXE],[TOY:ITEM_TOY_MINIFORGE]
to this:
[SHIELD:ITEM_SHIELD_SHIELD],[SHIELD:ITEM_SHIELD_BUCKLER]
[INSTRUMENT:ITEM_INSTRUMENT_FLUTE],[INSTRUMENT:ITEM_INSTRUMENT_TRUMPET],[INSTRUMENT:ITEM_INSTRUMENT_HARP],[INSTRUMENT:ITEM_INSTRUMENT_DRUM],[INSTRUMENT:ITEM_INSTRUMENT_PICCOLO]
[TOY:ITEM_TOY_PUZZLEBOX],[TOY:ITEM_TOY_BOAT],[TOY:ITEM_TOY_HAMMER],[TOY:ITEM_TOY_AXE],[TOY:ITEM_TOY_MINIFORGE]
i.e., removing the TOOL line, It'll treat the toys as tools. Further on down the list, it'll treat "ART_IMAGE,GLAZED,RINGS_HANGING,BANDS,SPIKES,ITEMSPECIFIC,THREAD,CLOTH,SEWN_IMAGE" as ethic entries.

Could that be the issue you're having? Deleting lines here isn't the best idea, but that could possibly be it... If you tell me what you need removed, I could look into it.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17