Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you like me to do after this next round of bugfixing on RandCreatures?

Extract even MORE data - I want to customize what I get.
- 50 (24.3%)
Megabeasts and semimegabeasts need more work.
- 15 (7.3%)
Why no vermin? I want to annoy the heck out of myself.
- 10 (4.9%)
Nothing swims underwater?! How could you? I want aquatic life.
- 60 (29.1%)
Let's have (rare) random creatures that breathe fire and/or poison you to death.
- 34 (16.5%)
Forget RandCreatures; work on LangCreate.
- 17 (8.3%)
Zombie's Toothbrush.
- 6 (2.9%)
Make birds more birdlike.
- 12 (5.8%)
I want something else, but I'll suggest it in-thread.
- 2 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 205

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17

Author Topic: LangCreate (v34 and v40) and RandCreatures (v34, being rewritten)  (Read 83627 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: LangCreate 1.0 and RandCreatures 0.2.0 (RandCreatures updated)
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2013, 08:00:16 am »

In the next version I'll make it possible to force all creatures to have the [TRAINABLE] tag. Then you can have the option of training everything new that comes your way.

Do any of the random creatures have that tag yet? (I've only had time to gen a new RandCreatures world, not actually play. I could just check my new raws, but I consider them to be full of spoilers ATM.)
Yeah, megabeasts are generated with it 100% of the time. All other non-sentient creatures have a 10% chance of getting it.

I wonder, if a properly full fledged civ had [TRAINABLE] you could train them as pets once captured?

I'm thinking like a dwarf converting a goblin using only food.
I actually don't know... somehow I doubt it, but I really want to find out.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 29, 2013, 03:55:22 pm »

So, this doesn't work with Adv Mode?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2013, 07:33:16 am »

It works very well with adventure mode. Try it and see. :) If you just want to gen ten or twenty creatures, it's unlikely you'll get a special megabeast or semimegabeast, and there would be few enough to roleplay your adventurer being some kind of game hunter, trying to find all the new species. Just a random thought.

PhoenixEggz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 07, 2013, 08:13:52 pm »

I love your DFlang, I have an obsession with creating languages and this is a great way to get new words randomly if you need them while creating conlangs. Even better since the words come equipped with meaning.

I might start my own creature replacement thing as well. I think it would be fun to have a world with all creatures replaced with near-equal creatures. The chance of it being completed, though, is small.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2013, 02:21:24 am »

Just downloaded this, and let me just say that you my friend, are FREAKING AWESOME I LOVE YOU!
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2013, 06:42:36 am »

I wonder, if a properly full fledged civ had [TRAINABLE] you could train them as pets once captured?

I'm thinking like a dwarf converting a goblin using only food.
I actually don't know... somehow I doubt it, but I really want to find out.

They dont. Pets have to belong to your civ, or be wild/free animals. Civ members of other civs cant become pets, period. the reason is that you cant change the civ-alignement.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 09, 2013, 05:29:04 pm »

Can some charitable soul zip a couple big creature gens for us Linux users?
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 09, 2013, 09:11:50 pm »

Certainly! Coming right up. I'll gen a 250, a 500 and a 1000 creature gen. Sound good?

Here you go.

Three sets of randomly generated creatures.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 09:26:17 pm by Reudh »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 09, 2013, 10:09:44 pm »

Perfect! This way I can pick the ones I like.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 11, 2013, 04:30:00 pm »

I panicked for a short moment today when I checked my unit list upon embark and saw four hydras present at the site.
Turns out they where not regular DF hydras, but that the language/creature generator bestowed that name on some innocent small creatures that where otherwise of little interest. phew.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #130 on: February 11, 2013, 08:56:24 pm »

So it is my understanding that this does NOT give some creatures syndromes or interactions?
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Argantyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2013, 03:37:48 pm »

So far I can use RandCreatures, but I keep hanging up on some error that crashes it. 100 and below will generate more random animals/monsters with 1 or so megabeasts.

But the instant it gens a civ, it crashes, any idea why? I may throw in another language file into the folder to see if that is what is messing civ creation up.

Edit: Language file wasn't it (Swapped the random language file with a copy of the goblin language file and renamed it) still crashes when a civ worthy race pops up, am I forgetting something?

Edit 2: I'm such a derp, didn't realize it required being installed in the same directory as the language file, works flawlessly now. Nice!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 04:09:03 pm by Argantyr »

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2013, 11:19:35 am »

Somehow I didn't receive an email notification when this topic was bumped...

Fishybang, Argantyr, thanks for the compliments. :) And Reudh - a special thanks to you for helping out with that save. lol

Lol, Bralbaard... I should probably add something in that will keep them from sharing names with standard DF creatures. >.> Fighting off hordes of mouse-sided "dragons" would be funny for a little while, but it would get old quickly...

@WastedLabor: I'm guessing that it doesn't run at all on Linux? Hrm... I'll need to look into that, if that's the case.

About the crashing: With the addition of the civ languages, it needs LANGUAGE_DWARF.txt and LANGUAGE_SYM.txt in order to run - these have to be in the same directory as everything else. As it rewrites the language file every time it gens a new worldset, replacing the language file itself won't really do much. :P Glad you got it to work, though.

Spiderking: No, creatures currently don't get any special syndromes or interactions. The main reason I'm holding back on that is because it adds a whole new level of complexity... I really need to get started on it, but I was taking a little break first. When I do get it done, expect to see things shooting webs, breathing fireballs, or stealth-disappearing like Mr Frog's seqiv - but RARELY. At least 90% of the creatures you'll encounter won't do anything special at all. I'm trying to keep from breaking regular gameplay, or forcing you to change your strategies. It's supposed to be a unique experience, not a total game-changer.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creature, Civ, and Language Generator (Now with links)
« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2013, 08:07:38 pm »

@WastedLabor: I'm guessing that it doesn't run at all on Linux? Hrm... I'll need to look into that, if that's the case.
You broke it on purpose a while ago, I think as a quick and dirty work around for locals that use "," as the decimal place character.
- The program will automatically round decimal numbers, so OS won't be an issue (unless you're using Wine - sorry, MasterMorality)
Maybe you can find a better way to do that that works in WINE.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2013, 10:07:57 pm »

Broke it on purpose? Quick and dirty? No. Tying up loose ends. The original code worked like this:

ValueC = ValueA / ValueB

which, as an example, let's say A is 200 and B is 3, leaving us with 66.666666 and so on.

I switched it to:
ValueC = round(ValueA / ValueB)

which, if we use the same values as before, rounds it to 67. It doesn't break anything, and it's actually a lot cleaner that way. I meant to do it to start out with. If you're having issues with the newer release, it probably has more of something to do with the fact that the randomly generated civilizations produce their own language raws now.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17