Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress has ruined gaming for me.  (Read 7037 times)

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress has ruined gaming for me.
« on: November 19, 2012, 01:07:18 pm »

So, I'm in a horrible situation.  Every game I try seems like a steaming pile of crap compared to DF, and I'm bored out of my mind for lack of variety in my gaming diet.  Recent titles come off as depressingly shallow compared to older games, and the only games I've truly enjoyed for more than a few days in the past few years are DF, Minecraft, Skyrim, and X3:TC/AP.  X-COM was a letdown, FTL got old after one playthrough, tried A Game of Dwarves because it was similar and while fun, it didn't have the depth to keep me playing.  SWTOR and TSW were boring after a week, and even Planetside 2 has had the shine wear off very rapidly with no metagame. 

Does anyone know of a game that has a level of complexity and replayability similar to DF?
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress has ruined gaming for me.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 01:13:01 pm »

Congrats, you're no longer bound to the AAA graphics. Rejoice and Despair!

After a good amount of Dwarf Fortress, my search lead me to Rouge-likes. Try from there and see where you end up.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 01:14:16 pm »

Congrats, you're no longer bound to the AAA graphics. Rejoice and Despair!

After a good amount of Dwarf Fortress, my search lead me to Rouge-likes. Try from there and see where you end up.

RogueBasin is one good place to wander through.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 01:14:57 pm »

I doubt it, DF has had the longest development cycle than probably any other game made.  Hence why it's so awesome.  The only games that I can think of that try to reach that level of complexity are Minecraft and Skryim, and it seems you've exhausted those.  I've heard Dishonored is fun and entertaining, but dunno about extreme complexity.

A free game I've been into recently is Bloons 5, tower defense game of monkeys vs. balloons.  Lots of replayability.  There's also Plants Verses Zombies.  Not free, but cheap now.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 01:17:28 pm »

There's always Aurora. Massive thread for it around here, somewhere. Think DF mentality applied to a sci-fi 4x.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 01:41:15 pm »

There's always Aurora. Massive thread for it around here, somewhere. Think DF mentality applied to a sci-fi 4x.
And the learning curve goes nearly backwards. At least in my expirience.

I'll agree on bloons 5. It's not very deep, but incredibly fun. (It even has a sandbox mode)
(and daily challenges)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 01:42:52 pm »

Aurora, much like DF, makes a lot of since once you figure it out.  It's less a cliff and more a steep step.  The main issue is that there's a LOT of buttons in Aurora.  If you can single down what you need, then constructing a new items of starting research becomes a piece of cake.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 01:47:46 pm »

If you like skyrim, you'll probably like morrowind. Morrowind has more atmosphere, less graphics.

Also I suggest mount and blade warband, and Europa universals 3, as you seem to like the games I like  :)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 02:15:39 pm »

I dunno, just look at all the threads in this section. Thats why it is here.
I got nothing

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 02:28:41 pm »

Played Morrowind almost exclusively for about two years, and I still consider the Raven Rock quest line in Bloodmoon the best the series has ever had.  It doesn't like my current computer though, even without mods running it's very unstable on my rig.  Incredibly deep, and still looks beautiful, but it feels really... clunky after playing Oblivion/Skryrim =/

Played all the M&B games, as well as a ton of 4x games like Star Ruler and GalCiv, but they feel way too goal-oriented for me after a while, with less opportunity for open-ended shennanigans.  Everything really boils down to "attack the enemy, just like last game" eventually.  Once you've built a 10T-size battle-carrier as big as a galactic supercluster that builds and deploys ringworlds while one-shotting stars with a giant railgun, there's not much more you can do for the lulz/evulz.  The X-series was the exception to this for a long time... then I hit That One Quest AKA The Worst Fetch Quest In The History of Gaming and it was like an enjoyment-killing brick wall. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 02:40:36 pm »

On X3 Fetch The World Quest - you actually really need a mod for that, but just the one.  Factory Cleaner compacts multiple factories into a small bundle, which saves TONS of FPS.  Also get marines.  Stealing Yaki Akuma repeatedly will net you millions and millions of credits very quickly, and allow you to stockpile IBL for your later use!

There's also a small mod that just changes the materials needed for the fetch, to make it lower.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 02:41:58 pm »

At least it only ruined gaming for you. Not only are all other games pale shadows as compared to DF but being a programmer every game I ever attempt to make will constantly be overshadowed in my mind. But yeah 4x has Aurora, if you like Minecraft and have not tried mods take a look there, and otherwise if you can't really find anything else to play and don't feel like playing more DF for a little you can try living on the forum here. It works for me in my down time between maniac frenzies of game playing.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 02:46:53 pm »

Ooh, ooh! Forum games. RTD's. They come in flavors from pretty crazy to pretty serious to hilarious.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 02:58:24 pm »

Aurora. The thread title is what it is for a reason.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 03:15:01 pm »

Lol, love DF but I do go through periods where I enjoy creeping on the forums as much as actually playing it.  !!Science!! discussions are universally amazing. 

Far as Minecraft goes, juiced another couple months out of it with the Tekkit mod pack (completely amazing, everyone should try it).  Made a scale model of a Rokh-class battleship from EVE-online in it block-by-block, complete with firing cannons... then finally abandoned it after trying to make it fly around using computercraft almost killed my brand-new PC.   

As far as the Fetch the Universe Quest in X3 goes, I don't use mods because of the *modified* tag... I've got the achievement for it on Steam and I value that more than most of the things I've done in real life, but have yet to earn the one for doing it in Dead is Dead mode, which apparently makes you shed your physical form IRL and ascend to a higher plane of existence as a being of pure energy.  X-Rebirth should be coming out around December/January by most accounts, and the new direction they're taking it in could either revitalize the franchise or end up being the Ace Combat: Assault Horizon of the X-Universe... an unspeakable travesty we shall never mention again. 

It really seems like my real problem is that the games I want to play and that fit my basic complexity criteria exist but aren't released yet.  0x10c, Star Citizen, X-Rebirth, etc.  Planetside 2 would have definitely qualified if it had the same level of depth as PS1 did, but as of the beta version last week it's a major disappointment.  Was expecting Planetside, got a Pay2Win CoD clone with 3 maps and none of the promised metagame that made the first one amazing even a decade later.  Though apparently PS1's going free to play after PS2 launches, which might bring server pops back up and give us back the massive battles we used to love back in the day, so that's worth a shot at least... unless they slash XP gain massively and make weapon unlocks $8 like the sequel.  *sigh* So jaded, I am =/

Pages: [1] 2 3