Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress has ruined gaming for me.  (Read 7035 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress has ruined gaming for me.
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2012, 05:29:13 am »

Just wondering how much Meta in Metagaming you are actually looking for from Planetside 2. I know that it doesnt have much atm but wasnt the last big patch before shutdown the start of Meta or is that starting after release...

As for not enjoying games after DF I am suprised to admit that I too am like that. Heck most MMOs cant keep my attention. My CE Guild Wars 2 stuff is reminding me that I paid alot of money for something I stopped playing a month after release...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2012, 07:45:02 am »

Crusader Kingdoms II is pretty deep (It has mods as well). I don't know about Fall from Heaven. I'm not sure I can think of anything that really comes close to DF in complexity or depth, although CKII has you basically trying to manage the political maneuverings and ambitions and relationships and war and peace and so on of a chosen individual and their successors, and effectively their entire dynasty while only ever having control over one individual at a time (and sometimes not even full control as the person may be inept or incapable or just plain hated - although some or all of these may be your fault, in some way which could have been avoidable, in theory).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2012, 08:37:01 am »

I feel the same way.

Another game that I have found fun, although I haven't played it in a few years, is Guild Gold Edition. Don't get Guild 2 as it became a bad Sims clone. You play the role of a late middle ages family.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2012, 10:53:45 am »

I'm so desperate I'm firing up Space Empires IV to try out the latest mods - LRM, Fusion, Babylon 5 and Dark Nova, and if those aren't enough good old Carrier Battles.  It's DF like in the insane micromanagement of a ton of planets and ships and combats. 

The other possibilities were gearhead (roguelike, can have a team, lots of mechs and parts to manage, not QUITE complete) but I played it recently, same with Cataclysm, and I'm waiting for the new version of Aurora to settle down a little.
Pages: 1 2 [3]