Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Star Type

G-type main-sequence star, yellow stars (Like the Sun, lifetime of ~10 bil. years)
- 3 (23.1%)
K-type main-sequence star, orange stars (Cooler than the Sun, more stable, slightly less massive, lifetime of ~20 bil. years)
- 4 (30.8%)
F-type main-sequence star, yellow-white stars (Slightly hotter than the Sun, less stable, more massive, lifetime of ~3 bil. years, very !!FUN!!)
- 5 (38.5%)
Other classes (Please specify)
- 1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28

Author Topic: Create a Planet  (Read 64277 times)

Sporemaniac777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Create a Planet
« Reply #150 on: November 21, 2012, 01:05:41 pm »

First off, I'm sorry for not updating this for quite a while. I was quite busy with school lately. Anyways...

A gigantic step forward was taken. Basic life has been created! But... Life got here by quite a few different ways. It emerged from the primordial soup, it got here by comets and last but not least, it formed deep in the oceans by the black smokers. Are these kinds of life going to coexist, or are they going to wipe each other out?
LET THE BATTLE OF THE MICROBES GODS BEGIN!
I present to you... THE TREE(s) OF LIFE! I expect them to get quite tangled up.

Anyway, to your posts... The relevant ones anyway.

Over the  millennia, asteroids and meteors hit Genesis, mostly dissolving in the atmosphere, burning themselves into dust...

But some of these intruders hit the planet and bring an alien substance with them...

Called Amino acids

(One of the ways how organic molecules were created... They just came from outer space! )

Yay! Eventually life arises from this source. I actually am a supporter of the panspermia theory. Don't worry, wo't affect the game one bit... Probably.

Do note that because that stars siphoning matter from each other will enhance their lifetime. (Mostly it means that the bigger star will survive slightly longer(but not much) while the smaller star has it life tremendously shortened).

((Also, we want stuff to be more or less stable. The axis won't be an example of that, however.))

So know that we got water, we must know that we got way to few carbon dioxide in the athmosphere to form life. Not life as we know it anyway. In order to solve that problem and start with the lifesurface I propose you the following solution:

-Volcanoes (but underwater)*. Black smokers and the whole bunch can serve as an energy source for primordial life, and will also emit plenty of gasses to fill up the athmosphere with.

*Volcanoes solve everything

Yay! After the time that passed, the primordial soup down there has given rise to life aswell! There's some competition, comet-dwellers... Anyway, who needs a stable axis anyway? Overrated. Pfft.

Lipids are hydrophobic, and would eventually find themselves together in any watery planet.  Hence the primordial soup was born...  :o

Although it doesn't make awfully much sense, you did your part for the primordial soup in the upper parts of the ocean!

Lipids are hydrophobic, and would eventually find themselves together in any watery planet.  Hence the primordial soup was born...  :o

Lipids are a rather complex, organic molecule. A glycerin and 3 aliphatic acids.

How do you synthezise them?
you're talking about triglycerin. Which is a lipid, but all lipid aren't triglycerin. Aha, fat chance. (both a quote of glados and a pun on the fact that triglycerin is actually FAT. ;D)

I want Lipids to start eating one another, with the most sucessful ones splitting into two more or less equal bubbles.  Eventually a simple and infection prion-like substance begins spreading, creating the most basics forms of life, a sef replicating bubble without focused energy (except the whole replication thing).  Isn't that the (or one) of the theories of life?
Lipids are molecules. You think about lipidic bubbles, formed by a double layer of phospholipids (just a polar head with two apolar tails. Easy to synthetise with CH4 and PO4.). These bubbles trapped RNA, which auto-replicated with some errors. Nucleic acids entered the bubble, were polymerized by RNA (acting as RNA enzym as well as a template. RNA are an essential part of the rybozomes for proteic synthesis) into a copy of itself. The copy being bigger, it can no longer leave the bubble, leading to a scission. The bubble itself increase in size by absorbing floating phospholipids.
Also prions are very small proteins in anormal configuration, able to force their normal counterpart into the anormal configuration by contact. Proteic zombies if you want.

For now, the simplest cells use RNA anyway, but eventually they are probably going to upgrade to DNA at some point. Some good points you make there though.

Spoiler: Not in any way helpful (click to show/hide)

On topic, does anybody know how this [insert term here] shall be played?  Are we collectively creating something?  How do our individual god spheres play into this?  maybe I missed this...

Your spheres? You don't have to play by them, but you can, I guess. They are just there to insert some kind of roleplay element in here  :D

The atmosphere is unstable.  Countless millenia of storms have wracked Genesis, lightning strikes fixing atmospheric nitrogen and seeding the oceans with it.  The ocean tides work to grind away at the planet's crust, releasing phosphorous, sulphur and other critical elements into the sea.

Natural clay, pitted with small holes, provides a surface.  Carbon atoms, split away from their dioxide form, merge under rare high energy conditions to form lipids.  Lipids, being naturally hydrophobic, group together to form films upon the clay.  In time these films bind together, creating bubbles.  The bubbles grow as more lipids collect on the surface, then split apart into new, smaller bubbles.

Sometimes the fixed nitrogen is subject to rare high energy conditions as well, combining with other atoms to form essential acids - amino acids.  These naturally bind together, but changes in energy state and the volatility of the environment often cause them to break apart.  Where these strings of acids - polypeptides, not even complex proteins at this stage - survive for a time, their shape changes the energy dynamic in their immediate vicinity.  Sometimes they will form a shape that encourages other polypeptides to form.  These early enzymes form, break and are never seen again.

Over a long enough timeline and with enough simultaneous repeats, unthinkably unlikely coincidences approach certainty.  Sooner or later, one of these early enzymes makes its way by simple diffusion (or perhaps by damage to the lipid barrier) into one of the soap bubbles that proliferate near the clay beds.  This sheath of lipids protects the protein from damage from the surrounding environment, but small molecules such as amino acids can still diffuse into the bubble.  They pass through the sheath, are bound into new poly-peptides.  Eventually the bubble cannot sustain everything within it.  It bursts... or it splits and starts the process anew.

Proto-cells have come into existence, simple sheaths of lipids around self-replicating enzymes.  They lack nucleotides, selectively permeable membranes or any of the other hallmarks of cellular life as we know it.  By a technical definition these cells are machines, not life.

We have entered the Protein Age, a hypothetical era before the RNA Age (which is itself a hypothetical era before life made the conversion to the more stable DNA as a coding substrate).  Proteins produce themselves or other proteins, but there is no external code which may be read or translated from (that is not itself a protein).

Edit:  The science in this is very loose and in some places downright wrong.  It is a story that gets across the broad facts, and should be treated as such.

Yay! A third source of life on this planet! The more the better! I am looking forward to this...

Planet: Genesis
Mass: 0.95 Earth masses
Diameter: 11858 km
SMA: 2.4 AU
Atmosphere: Nitrogen (97.2%), Carbon Dioxide (2%), Other gases (Argon, water vapor etc.) (0.8%), 0.9 ATM
Axis: 36°
Water covering: 60% of the surface
Geology: Active, Earth-like
Moons:
Unnamed moon 1:
                       Mass: 0.012 Earth masses
                       Diameter: 3446 km
                       SMA: 403 000 km
                       Orbital inclination: 28°
                       Atmosphere: None
                       Geology: Dead
Unnamed moon 2:
                       Mass: 0.007 Earth masses
                       Diameter: 3177 km
                       SMA: 151 000 km
                       Orbital inclination: 87°
                       Atmosphere: None
                       Geology: Volatile, Io-like

The atmosphere is starting took a little bit tike the Earth's. But one thing is missing, a quite substantial part... What could it be? I'm sure many of you know.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2012, 01:09:45 pm »

I feel somehow inadequate against the creative minds of this forum all of a sudden.  This, while I can understand it, is beyond my ability to create...  :-[  :o
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 21, 2012, 01:11:30 pm »

Certainly not oxygen. That stuff is pure poison.

We have a shortage of carbon dioxide for that anyway. So yeah, more volcanism.

((The life near the blacksmokers is quite isolated. The water around the smokers is often too cold to support life, preventing alien life from leaving it. Occasionally the warm water escaping from the smoker might last long enough for the bacteria to survive the trip to the bottom of the sea, but that's about it. The beings at the bottom of the sea will be anaerobic, feeding on the chemicals that escape the smokers))

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2012, 03:02:29 pm »

The water around the smokers is often too cold to support life
I was first shocked to read that, knowing water can reach 180°C there, but then realized you meant the water between there and the surface. Which is completely untrue IRL, but probably true for our fragile, tiny specks of life.

I support the rest of your post. No oxygen for now (it's a waste product we got used to, nothing more), more CO2 (it being food source) and black smokers life being anaerobic and chemiotrophic.

I will now steal this tree of life and add my favourites. :D *excited mode ON*

EDIT: The Cometborns, having suffered through a thousand lightyears before getting to a relative rest on this planet, earned the ability to harvest deadly radiations, and turn it into useable energy. This marvel of survival is done by them having lots of redundant RNA strings that shield the useful bits, and get broken down by the radiation, then repaired. This endless cycle produce an energy output that keep the cell alive. Cometborns turned deathly rays into feeding light.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 03:32:06 pm by kaian-a-coel »
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 21, 2012, 03:47:49 pm »

((Repairs cost energy, they don't produce it. Besides, radiation levels will be far to low for that to be feasible anyway))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 21, 2012, 04:46:07 pm »

"Say, the sun is firey right? Screw it, we don't have any gods of light; I'll take up that burden."

Grant one of the comet-borne prokaryotes photosynthesis.
Once that prokaryote becomes established, fiddle with some of the soupy prokaryotes to help them engulf smaller cells in a symbiotic fashion.

"Could be patient. Don't feel like it."
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2012, 04:49:55 pm »

"Say, the sun is firey right? Screw it, we don't have any gods of light; I'll take up that burden."

Once that prokaryote becomes established, fiddle with some of the soupy prokaryotes to help them engulf smaller cells in a symbiotic fashion.

No, don't do it.
Prevent the genocide. Kill the photosynthetics.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 21, 2012, 04:51:38 pm »

FIRE FROM THE GODS.... oh, wait GWG is the fire god....

on another note it makes some sense that the god of fire is the god of light.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 21, 2012, 05:01:12 pm »

Photosynthetics are the fasted way to get this planet lifeless again.
--> oxygen comes, kills all non photosynthetics.
-->Sunless period comes, kills all/large part of surface dwelling lifeforms (bye photosynthetics)
---> Restart: Y/N

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2012, 05:03:20 pm »

No, don't do it.
Prevent the genocide. Kill the photosynthetics.
"There's a limited supply of those chemicals. They need to photosynthesise eventually. They'll adapt."
Ressurect any photosynthetics killed by...ebbor's god.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 22, 2012, 11:04:57 am »

Oh god(s), no photosynthetics!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 22, 2012, 11:10:36 am »

Besides, we haven't even reached the stage were that is possible yet. We don't have any DNa yet, let alone a cellular core, let alone compertamentalized cells, let alone the stuff needed for photosynthesis. Any photosynthetic cell would immediatly die as free radicals tear it's fragile RNA apart.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 22, 2012, 11:13:33 am »

Wait, we aren't?
Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 22, 2012, 11:20:39 am »

For now, the simplest cells use RNA anyway, but eventually they are probably going to upgrade to DNA at some point. Some good points you make there though

Iituem's description says something similair, as do the others.

((Also, chemicals don't run out. They are created by the heat from the planet's core, and in it's current configuration I'm afraid the sun might run out faster than the heat contained within the core. ))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 22, 2012, 11:23:39 am »

Oh, and huh.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28