Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Star Type

G-type main-sequence star, yellow stars (Like the Sun, lifetime of ~10 bil. years)
- 3 (23.1%)
K-type main-sequence star, orange stars (Cooler than the Sun, more stable, slightly less massive, lifetime of ~20 bil. years)
- 4 (30.8%)
F-type main-sequence star, yellow-white stars (Slightly hotter than the Sun, less stable, more massive, lifetime of ~3 bil. years, very !!FUN!!)
- 5 (38.5%)
Other classes (Please specify)
- 1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28

Author Topic: Create a Planet  (Read 64278 times)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
Re: Create a Planet
« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2012, 03:47:37 pm »

Come to think of it, if I was the GM I'd probably be out somewhere, hoping that this is going to die quickly because this is already derailed beyond repair.

Let's erase all posts about gods and begin anew.

(I knew I shouldn't have given up to that to begin with)
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2012, 03:49:27 pm »

Come to think of it, if I was the GM I'd probably be out somewhere, hoping that this is going to die quickly because this is already derailed beyond repair.

Let's erase all posts about gods and begin anew.

(I knew I shouldn't have given up to that to begin with)
Why don't we see what the GM thinks.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2012, 04:45:46 pm »

Seriously, half of you are Chaotic Neutral. Not that I have anything against it, but I like varety, that's all.)
Only because you decided to label us that way.
Yeah. I prefer to think of myself as chaotic necktie.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2012, 04:47:00 pm »

Seriously, half of you are Chaotic Neutral. Not that I have anything against it, but I like varety, that's all.)
Only because you decided to label us that way.
Yeah. I prefer to think of myself as chaotic necktie.
I'm more Lawful Bacon myself.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2012, 05:01:33 pm »

We currently have a half molten planet without any water. A good way to have water in athmo without magicking it in is vulcanic eruptions. Hence, explosion time.

"You fools are talking about what SHOULD be done; we need to actually DO it.
Andriofraust, Litekkio, Tishka, get to work."

Azeroth kindles volcanic activity, or accelerates, to produce more gases needed for life-forms.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #125 on: November 18, 2012, 05:13:48 pm »

We currently have a half molten planet without any water. A good way to have water in athmo without magicking it in is vulcanic eruptions. Hence, explosion time.

"You fools are talking about what SHOULD be done; we need to actually DO it.
Andriofraust, Litekkio, Tishka, get to work."

Azeroth kindles volcanic activity, or accelerates, to produce more gases needed for life-forms.
These.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2012, 05:28:09 pm »

I actually kindled vulcanism already.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sporemaniac777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2012, 11:30:47 am »

There should (for Rule of Cool reasons rather than strict physics) be a steady stream of plasma being siphoned from one to the other.  When beings look up into the sky they see two blazing orbs connected by a thin string in the middle - like chained cannonballs on fire.  :B
Well, since the stars are so close together, it's entirely possible for them to transfer mass from one to another. It certainly would look cool.

But back on-topic. What's the closest the two moons ever come together?
Not close enough to knock each other out of orbit. They are quite far apart, one has an SMA of over 400K km, the other of over 100K. One is also less massive. That should be pretty stable... I think.

Yay, volcanic activity, caused a rise in atmosphere pressure and released a lot of water vapor into the atmosphere. Another 500 mil. years passed and the planet cooled down. The water condensed and formed oceans. Most of the CO2 bound to the water.  No oxygen though. We all know how oxygen is made... Don't we...? Also, no life... Yet.

i blow hard against the surface of the world, and fill the sky with air (comprised of 30.28% oxygen, 65.2% nitrogen, 1.7% argon, 0.02% carbon dioxide, and 2.4% other elements)

there shall be breath

i declare it to be so

Sorry, but I agree with 10ebbor10. Let's do stuff as we believe it actually happened.

Around 300.000 km.

Also, not really falling into each other, but one of the stars is going to siphon matter from the other. Iy won't be entirely stable/

Yeah... But do we want stuff to be stable...?

Planet: Genesis
Mass: 0.95 Earth masses
Diameter: 11858 km
SMA: 2.4 AU
Atmosphere: Nitrogen (96.2%), Carbon Dioxide (3%), Other gases (Argon, water vapor etc.) (0.8%), 0.9 ATM
Axis: 27° (Pretty sure the moons themselves will be pretty stable, but I don't really know about the axis...)
Water covering: 60% of the surface
Geology: Active, Earth-like
Moons:
Unnamed moon 1:
                       Mass: 0.012 Earth masses
                       Diameter: 3446 km
                       SMA: 403 000 km
                       Orbital inclination: 28°
                       Atmosphere: None
                       Geology: Dead
Unnamed moon 2:
                       Mass: 0.007 Earth masses
                       Diameter: 3177 km
                       SMA: 151 000 km
                       Orbital inclination: 87°
                       Atmosphere: None
                       Geology: Volatile, Io-like

Now, time to do stuff! By the way, about 1 bil. years passed since the formation of the system. Also, we are halfway through the bigger star's lifetime. Don't worry though, the will slow down now, as we'll be focusing mostly on the evolution of life, I believe. Now, let's do some other stuff!

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 19, 2012, 11:45:15 am »

Over the  millennia, asteroids and meteors hit Genesis, mostly dissolving in the atmosphere, burning themselves into dust...

But some of these intruders hit the planet and bring an alien substance with them...

Called Amino acids

(One of the ways how organic molecules were created... They just came from outer space! )

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2012, 11:46:24 am »

Do note that because that stars siphoning matter from each other will enhance their lifetime. (Mostly it means that the bigger star will survive slightly longer(but not much) while the smaller star has it life tremendously shortened).

((Also, we want stuff to be more or less stable. The axis won't be an example of that, however.))

So know that we got water, we must know that we got way to few carbon dioxide in the athmosphere to form life. Not life as we know it anyway. In order to solve that problem and start with the lifesurface I propose you the following solution:

-Volcanoes (but underwater)*. Black smokers and the whole bunch can serve as an energy source for primordial life, and will also emit plenty of gasses to fill up the athmosphere with.

*Volcanoes solve everything

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 19, 2012, 11:58:21 am »

I want Lipids to start eating one another, with the most sucessful ones splitting into two more or less equal bubbles.  Eventually a simple and infection prion-like substance begins spreading, creating the most basics forms of life, a sef replicating bubble without focused energy (except the whole replication thing).  Isn't that the (or one) of the theories of life?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 19, 2012, 12:00:14 pm »

I want Lipids to start eating one another, with the most sucessful ones splitting into two more or less equal bubbles.  Eventually a simple and infection prion-like substance begins spreading, creating the most basics forms of life, a sef replicating bubble without focused energy (except the whole replication thing).  Isn't that the (or one) of the theories of life?

Where the lipids come from?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 19, 2012, 12:11:51 pm »

Lipids are hydrophobic, and would eventually find themselves together in any watery planet.  Hence the primordial soup was born...  :o
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 19, 2012, 12:15:54 pm »

Lipids are hydrophobic, and would eventually find themselves together in any watery planet.  Hence the primordial soup was born...  :o

Lipids are a rather complex, organic molecule. A glycerin and 3 aliphatic acids.

How do you synthezise them?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 19, 2012, 12:41:33 pm »

Ohhh, Im rather not as competent as that.  I mean the term lipid as any hydrophobic molecule capable for forming a rather stable barrier that allows for an internal enviornment that differs from its external.  In nature I am sure there is one, and if not than there are natural events that may be capable of overcoming energy requirements and act as one time catalysts.  3 billion years on Earth is a long time to make things happen...  :-\
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28