Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Star Type

G-type main-sequence star, yellow stars (Like the Sun, lifetime of ~10 bil. years)
- 3 (23.1%)
K-type main-sequence star, orange stars (Cooler than the Sun, more stable, slightly less massive, lifetime of ~20 bil. years)
- 4 (30.8%)
F-type main-sequence star, yellow-white stars (Slightly hotter than the Sun, less stable, more massive, lifetime of ~3 bil. years, very !!FUN!!)
- 5 (38.5%)
Other classes (Please specify)
- 1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28

Author Topic: Create a Planet  (Read 64265 times)

Sporemaniac777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Create a Planet
« Reply #165 on: November 22, 2012, 05:45:17 pm »

Sadly, photosynthesis is impossible for now. Just like ebbor said, the simple cells cannot deal with the free radicals and other waste products from the chloroplasts would destroy the cell, without advanced mechanisms to defend it. No photosynthesis... For now.

Certainly not oxygen. That stuff is pure poison.

We have a shortage of carbon dioxide for that anyway. So yeah, more volcanism.

((The life near the blacksmokers is quite isolated. The water around the smokers is often too cold to support life, preventing alien life from leaving it. Occasionally the warm water escaping from the smoker might last long enough for the bacteria to survive the trip to the bottom of the sea, but that's about it. The beings at the bottom of the sea will be anaerobic, feeding on the chemicals that escape the smokers))

Yeah, so overrated anyway. Especially its byproduct, ozone. Overrated. Anyways, you can never have enough carbon dioxide, can ya?

I feel somehow inadequate against the creative minds of this forum all of a sudden.  This, while I can understand it, is beyond my ability to create...  :-[  :o

Don't worry, it won't stay this complicated if that's your problem. Once we get from the cell level, it'll get simpler.

The water around the smokers is often too cold to support life
I was first shocked to read that, knowing water can reach 180°C there, but then realized you meant the water between there and the surface. Which is completely untrue IRL, but probably true for our fragile, tiny specks of life.

I support the rest of your post. No oxygen for now (it's a waste product we got used to, nothing more), more CO2 (it being food source) and black smokers life being anaerobic and chemiotrophic.

I will now steal this tree of life and add my favourites. :D *excited mode ON*

EDIT: The Cometborns, having suffered through a thousand lightyears before getting to a relative rest on this planet, earned the ability to harvest deadly radiations, and turn it into useable energy. This marvel of survival is done by them having lots of redundant RNA strings that shield the useful bits, and get broken down by the radiation, then repaired. This endless cycle produce an energy output that keep the cell alive. Cometborns turned deathly rays into feeding light.

Interesting way of life you have there. I like your originality.

((Repairs cost energy, they don't produce it. Besides, radiation levels will be far to low for that to be feasible anyway))

Well, there is no ozone and basically almost no other protective layers in the atmosphere. Well, there's the magnetic field, but it can't block all of it.

"Say, the sun is firey right? Screw it, we don't have any gods of light; I'll take up that burden."

Grant one of the comet-borne prokaryotes photosynthesis.
Once that prokaryote becomes established, fiddle with some of the soupy prokaryotes to help them engulf smaller cells in a symbiotic fashion.

"Could be patient. Don't feel like it."

For reasons I stated before, that won't work until the cells get more advanced ways of dealing with the dangerous stuff coming with photosynthesis.

Wait, we aren't?

Well, we are still at the prokaryotic level. These simple cells are basically just a storage for RNA (a simple nucleus) and a membrane. Not much more, yet.

Planet: Genesis
Mass: 0.95 Earth masses
Diameter: 11858 km
SMA: 2.4 AU
Atmosphere: Nitrogen (95.2%), Carbon Dioxide (4%), Other gases (Argon, water vapor etc.) (0.8%), 1.0 ATM
Axis: 58°
Water covering: 60% of the surface, quite unstable climate
Geology: Active, Earth-like
Moons:
Unnamed moon 1:
                       Mass: 0.012 Earth masses
                       Diameter: 3446 km
                       SMA: 403 000 km
                       Orbital inclination: 28°
                       Atmosphere: None
                       Geology: Dead
Unnamed moon 2:
                       Mass: 0.007 Earth masses
                       Diameter: 3177 km
                       SMA: 151 000 km
                       Orbital inclination: 87°
                       Atmosphere: None
                       Geology: Volatile, Io-like

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 22, 2012, 05:52:45 pm »

Due the constant radiation, some of the prokaryotic cells degenrate, losing some of their RNA-Code. They are now not able to live alone, so they start to "infect" healthy prokaryotic cells with their broken code, forcing them to produce more of these broken cells.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 22, 2012, 07:10:17 pm »

Prokaryote does not imply RNA.

"I'm going a bit out of my domain again, okay?"
Spur the evolution of DNA and proteins in the black smoker microbes.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 22, 2012, 07:23:44 pm »

Prokaryote does not imply RNA.

"I'm going a bit out of my domain again, okay?"
Spur the evolution of DNA and proteins in the black smoker microbes.

Just...
Just look at sporemaniacs post.

He said the momentary prokaryotes are simple vessels for RNA.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 22, 2012, 07:34:00 pm »

I know, I was pointing out that prokaryote does not necessarily imply that they use RNA.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 22, 2012, 07:40:52 pm »

The next step:  The invention of cillia and advent of real predators who seek out prey!  Amoeba armada rise up!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 22, 2012, 07:52:08 pm »

Cilia...Amoeba...
So wrong.
I still understand what you mean, though.
Sig

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 22, 2012, 07:55:36 pm »

Derp.  The answers to life are apparently on this very pimped out page...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_amoeba_have_cilia_or_flagella
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 22, 2012, 07:56:55 pm »

The current prokaryotes are either amoeba or just go with the flow of the water...

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 23, 2012, 12:34:12 am »

"true" amoeba are eukaryots, just saying.
Also the free radicals come from O2 respiration, not photosynthesis. And a single enzym, degrading H2O2 into H2O and O2, resolve the problem quite well. Otherwise, just dump it out. For small primitive bacteria it should be fairly simple (eukaryots are 10 times bigger and have their free radicals produced deep inside, while bacterias have them on the external membrane.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 12:40:20 am by kaian-a-coel »
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 23, 2012, 07:25:01 am »

I assumed he meant that they used pseudopodia to move.

Also the free radicals come from O2 respiration, not photosynthesis. And a single enzym, degrading H2O2 into H2O and O2, resolve the problem quite well. Otherwise, just dump it out. For small primitive bacteria it should be fairly simple (eukaryots are 10 times bigger and have their free radicals produced deep inside, while bacterias have them on the external membrane.
I'm still giving them more advanced chemistry first.
Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 23, 2012, 11:19:21 am »

Photosynthesis will cause free radicals as well as O2 respiration.AFAIK. However, the problem still remains that photosynthesis is impossible without compertamentalization.

Anyway, my action. As a side effect from the now persistent virusses amongst the Deep creatures, other things started to happen. Even adult/ healthy cells started to temporaliy merge with each other, periodically sharing genetic information before parting again.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 23, 2012, 11:52:07 am »

However, the problem still remains that photosynthesis is impossible without compertamentalization.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanobacteria
I'll leave this here and watch.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 23, 2012, 11:53:34 am »

Not to mention that chloroplasts evolved from such prokaryotes...
Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 23, 2012, 12:07:46 pm »

However, the problem still remains that photosynthesis is impossible without compertamentalization.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanobacteria
I'll leave this here and watch.
Cyanobacteria do compartimentalize. They just fold up their own cellular membrame.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28