Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Star Type

G-type main-sequence star, yellow stars (Like the Sun, lifetime of ~10 bil. years)
- 3 (23.1%)
K-type main-sequence star, orange stars (Cooler than the Sun, more stable, slightly less massive, lifetime of ~20 bil. years)
- 4 (30.8%)
F-type main-sequence star, yellow-white stars (Slightly hotter than the Sun, less stable, more massive, lifetime of ~3 bil. years, very !!FUN!!)
- 5 (38.5%)
Other classes (Please specify)
- 1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28

Author Topic: Create a Planet  (Read 64293 times)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
Re: Create a Planet
« Reply #135 on: November 19, 2012, 12:42:57 pm »

Lipids are hydrophobic, and would eventually find themselves together in any watery planet.  Hence the primordial soup was born...  :o

Lipids are a rather complex, organic molecule. A glycerin and 3 aliphatic acids.

How do you synthezise them?
you're talking about triglycerin. Which is a lipid, but all lipid aren't triglycerin. Aha, fat chance. (both a quote of glados and a pun on the fact that triglycerin is actually FAT. ;D)

I want Lipids to start eating one another, with the most sucessful ones splitting into two more or less equal bubbles.  Eventually a simple and infection prion-like substance begins spreading, creating the most basics forms of life, a sef replicating bubble without focused energy (except the whole replication thing).  Isn't that the (or one) of the theories of life?
Lipids are molecules. You think about lipidic bubbles, formed by a double layer of phospholipids (just a polar head with two apolar tails. Easy to synthetise with CH4 and PO4.). These bubbles trapped RNA, which auto-replicated with some errors. Nucleic acids entered the bubble, were polymerized by RNA (acting as RNA enzym as well as a template. RNA are an essential part of the rybozomes for proteic synthesis) into a copy of itself. The copy being bigger, it can no longer leave the bubble, leading to a scission. The bubble itself increase in size by absorbing floating phospholipids.
Also prions are very small proteins in anormal configuration, able to force their normal counterpart into the anormal configuration by contact. Proteic zombies if you want.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 19, 2012, 12:48:18 pm »

They are theories that say that clay might have formed the first bubbles.

That's about all I can say. Besides, if we really need to, we can just dump some protoliving organisms on a asteroid and crash it in the planet.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 19, 2012, 12:53:42 pm »

Error is important to basic life especially.  If a perfect replicator came around back when no multicelled life existed than we wouldnt be here...  Error induces variety.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2012, 01:01:43 pm »

Error is important to basic life especially.  If a perfect replicator came around back when no multicelled life existed than we wouldnt be here...  Error induces variety.
That's why perfectly replicating nanobots are not alive, but imperfect ones are.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2012, 01:09:39 pm »

That's why perfectly replicating nanobots are not alive, but imperfect ones are.
Provided they can die, of course, but that shouldn't be a problem.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 19, 2012, 01:17:51 pm »

Provided they can die, of course, but that shouldn't be a problem.
Death appear nowhere in the scientists' definition of life.
Full Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 19, 2012, 01:28:40 pm »

Snip

Being immortal would provide problems with the adaptation part, I presume.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 19, 2012, 01:41:47 pm »

Snip

Being immortal would provide problems with the adaptation part, I presume.
Unless there is unlimited ressources (maybe), so yes.
Full Sig

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #143 on: November 19, 2012, 02:16:05 pm »

So long as their not invulnerable, it shouldn't matter.

also - Chaotic Evil? Nope. I defy alignment.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2012, 02:28:34 pm »

Spoiler: Not in any way helpful (click to show/hide)

On topic, does anybody know how this [insert term here] shall be played?  Are we collectively creating something?  How do our individual god spheres play into this?  maybe I missed this...
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 19, 2012, 02:38:31 pm »

The atmosphere is unstable.  Countless millenia of storms have wracked Genesis, lightning strikes fixing atmospheric nitrogen and seeding the oceans with it.  The ocean tides work to grind away at the planet's crust, releasing phosphorous, sulphur and other critical elements into the sea.

Natural clay, pitted with small holes, provides a surface.  Carbon atoms, split away from their dioxide form, merge under rare high energy conditions to form lipids.  Lipids, being naturally hydrophobic, group together to form films upon the clay.  In time these films bind together, creating bubbles.  The bubbles grow as more lipids collect on the surface, then split apart into new, smaller bubbles.

Sometimes the fixed nitrogen is subject to rare high energy conditions as well, combining with other atoms to form essential acids - amino acids.  These naturally bind together, but changes in energy state and the volatility of the environment often cause them to break apart.  Where these strings of acids - polypeptides, not even complex proteins at this stage - survive for a time, their shape changes the energy dynamic in their immediate vicinity.  Sometimes they will form a shape that encourages other polypeptides to form.  These early enzymes form, break and are never seen again.

Over a long enough timeline and with enough simultaneous repeats, unthinkably unlikely coincidences approach certainty.  Sooner or later, one of these early enzymes makes its way by simple diffusion (or perhaps by damage to the lipid barrier) into one of the soap bubbles that proliferate near the clay beds.  This sheath of lipids protects the protein from damage from the surrounding environment, but small molecules such as amino acids can still diffuse into the bubble.  They pass through the sheath, are bound into new poly-peptides.  Eventually the bubble cannot sustain everything within it.  It bursts... or it splits and starts the process anew.

Proto-cells have come into existence, simple sheaths of lipids around self-replicating enzymes.  They lack nucleotides, selectively permeable membranes or any of the other hallmarks of cellular life as we know it.  By a technical definition these cells are machines, not life.

We have entered the Protein Age, a hypothetical era before the RNA Age (which is itself a hypothetical era before life made the conversion to the more stable DNA as a coding substrate).  Proteins produce themselves or other proteins, but there is no external code which may be read or translated from (that is not itself a protein).

Edit:  The science in this is very loose and in some places downright wrong.  It is a story that gets across the broad facts, and should be treated as such.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 02:41:56 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #146 on: November 19, 2012, 03:04:30 pm »

What kind pf powers do our gods have? What can we do?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 19, 2012, 03:21:14 pm »

We have entered the Protein Age, a hypothetical era before the RNA Age (which is itself a hypothetical era before life made the conversion to the more stable DNA as a coding substrate).  Proteins produce themselves or other proteins, but there is no external code which may be read or translated from (that is not itself a protein).

Edit:  The science in this is very loose and in some places downright wrong.  It is a story that gets across the broad facts, and should be treated as such.
Indeed science is loose, and it is debated, but I subscribe to the theory that says that RNA age came before the protein age.
Full Sig

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 19, 2012, 04:20:49 pm »

What kind pf powers do our gods have? What can we do?
This. We obviosly have rule of cool on our side but how much can we play with things in the name of magic?
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 19, 2012, 06:13:20 pm »

Indeed science is loose, and it is debated, but I subscribe to the theory that says that RNA age came before the protein age.
I agree. It makes more sense, especially given the various areas RNA is used.
Back on track.

"I think that since I've* kindled the black smokers, there's not a lot else I can do...for now."
*Technically not, but as the god of fire I should have.
Spend the time shaping my palace.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28