Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Star Type

G-type main-sequence star, yellow stars (Like the Sun, lifetime of ~10 bil. years)
- 3 (23.1%)
K-type main-sequence star, orange stars (Cooler than the Sun, more stable, slightly less massive, lifetime of ~20 bil. years)
- 4 (30.8%)
F-type main-sequence star, yellow-white stars (Slightly hotter than the Sun, less stable, more massive, lifetime of ~3 bil. years, very !!FUN!!)
- 5 (38.5%)
Other classes (Please specify)
- 1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28

Author Topic: Create a Planet  (Read 64179 times)

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Create a Planet
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 02:22:18 pm »

I Herein Take Upon Myself The Mantle Of Tishka
I Am Lord Of Darkness And Death

All Things Die
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 02:23:22 pm »

All Things Die

:-\ I already took those spheres
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 02:30:56 pm »

All Things Die

:-\ I already took those spheres
oops i didn't see you there my apologies hahaha

sorry

i guess i shall be the god of winds and air
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2012, 02:38:12 pm »

I shall be Logos, god of, guess what, logic.  :P
Ancient Greek pun. I like it.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Sporemaniac777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 03:48:09 pm »

So... I guess we have got a whole pantheon! There were some of you mentioning that a dual star would be nice. I agree. Most star systems are binary anyway, so let us go for a compromise. A binary star system, one star is a long-living K-Type star, the other a less stable F-Type star. For such a system, according to Universe Sandbox, our planet must be about 2-2.5 AU away from the stars to support liquid water. Now we know what stars are forming in the middle of the proto-planetary disk. The matter is clustering up into larger entities. The clusters of matter are becoming the planets. Our planet is a stellar planet, a rocky planet. Located in the goldilocks zone, it is perfect for supporting liquid water, one of the best dissolvents known, perfect for life as we, here on Earth, know it. But it doesn't have to be based on carbon... Carbon seems to be the most favorable element to form a basis for life, though, but possible substitutes include, phosphorous, sillicon or nitrogen. There are other unsolved questions though. How many significant planets are going to be there? What types of planets will be there? How massive will they be? Will there be a belt of material that didn't form into planets? So many questions... Please specify what you want the system to look like, I'm sure we can come to a compromise, this time, without a poll. If your specific request didn't get count in, or got outvoted by others, don't worry! This will be like in DF. Very !!FUN!!, and if we fail, we start again! Remember, Losing is fun!

The Pantheon:
Andriofraust, god of water, rain, ice and snow
Izrador, god of death, cold and darkness
Azeroth, god of flames, dragons and trolls
Litekkio, god of change and trickery
Logos, god of logic
Tishka, god of winds and air

Let's go crazy: no star? (Turns out starless planets are pretty common, just astonishly hard to spot. Of course having a temperature nearing absolute zero and no light at all might be some kind of problem, but also fun.)
Well, might get to that at some point aswell, but for now we'll stick to something basic. Also, I doubt that any complex life could evolve on a rogue planet... Maybe it could be a run just about keeping the planet whole, who knows?

Also: Wow, I honestly didn't expect this to start this huge! Thank you for your support, guys!

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2012, 03:53:33 pm »

I want an asterid belt.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2012, 04:00:09 pm »

I'd like to have some asteroid belt.

I want an asterid belt.
How about having a belt with a highly exentric orbit that crosses with out planets orbit. Yearly asteroid showers are nice.

I want some gasgiants and some nice, but strange moons for our planet. As in 90 degree angled orbit, which will cause floods moving from South to North and North to South. Also, twice a year you get a rapid series of daily eclipses, compared with freak tides.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2012, 04:00:33 pm »

Io, Io.

A large nebula of matter didn't manage to cluster together into rocks.

It forms a blanket like celestial body, 1,4 AU away from the twin stars. It blocks the light path between the our planet and the sun every 4th solar year ( the time the rocky planets takes to revolve around the twin suns) for 0,5 solar years.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2012, 04:04:39 pm »

That thing is dense. Really, more like the density of a planet. It should glob into one.

Also, in 0.5 year the temperature would certainly drop well below freezing, unless our planet produces more geothermal heat than normal. Which would cause it to cook over the rest of the time.

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2012, 04:06:39 pm »

I'd like to have some asteroid belt.

I want an asterid belt.
How about having a belt with a highly exentric orbit that crosses with out planets orbit. Yearly asteroid showers are nice.
I need my death realm in those asteroids. And then the asteroids showers shall be on Sanheim!

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2012, 04:07:39 pm »

That thing is dense. Really, more like the density of a planet. It should glob into one.

Also, in 0.5 year the temperature would certainly drop well below freezing, unless our planet produces more geothermal heat than normal. Which would cause it to cook over the rest of the time.

Maybe it's magnetical charged enough to not form a body?
And it's kinda my plan that it makes every 4th year a new ice time.  :P

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2012, 04:13:27 pm »

Okay, so I'll have a take at the planetary system:

- 0.6AU: Dwarf Rocky Planet. orbiting closely to the K star (directly around it, not around the couple). 0.65g, 0.008atm. Mostly carbon under high pressure. Graphite plains, solid diamond mountains, pitch black lava...

- 1.2 AU: Asteroid Belt, remnants torn apart by tidal forces from the stars.

- 2.4 AU: Us.

- 4.8 AU: Generic Rocky Planet. 1.6g, 1.1atm. Lots of ice, mostly CO2 atmosphere. Too cold for liquid water, sadly.
          -Moon 1: 2.5km asteroid
          -Moon 2: 0.3km asteroid
          -Moon 3: 0.1km asteroid

- 9.6 AU: Generic Red and white Gas Giant. Neptun-sized. Mostly H2 and He. At least 6 notable moons. Small, but noticeable white rings.

- 19.2 AU: Generic Blue Gas Giant. Saturn-sized. H2, He and CH4. Fairly noticeable orange rings (nothing like saturn though). At least 3 notable moons, probably more.

- 38.4 AU: Generic Dwarf Rocky Planet. 0.8g, 0atm. Completely and utterly frozen. At least 1 notable moon, probably more. Also Asteroid Belt with several planetoids.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2012, 04:17:35 pm »

We should name our planet Genesis.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2012, 04:20:00 pm »

Maybe it's magnetical charged enough to not form a body?
And it's kinda my plan that it makes every 4th year a new ice time.  :P
It won't be an ice time. It'd be far worse. The planet would become a barren, frozen rock, without any chances of survival of live except inside the deepest ocean layers.

If you wan't to go for an ice age a partial occlusion instead of a complete one. What if we replace the dark cloud with something that's already in the system. The planet, probably has a fairly long rotational period, and every so often one of the suns might obstruct the other for an extended period of time. If the weakest sun obstructs the strongest, the planet would enter a short, but non destructive iceage. Otherwise, it will enter a mild iceage.

(the suns will probably need to be way to close to each other for this to happen but.)

Okay, so I'll have a take at the planetary system:

- 0.6AU: Dwarf Rocky Planet. orbiting closely to the K star (directly around it, not around the couple). 0.65g, 0.008atm. Mostly carbon under high pressure. Graphite plains, solid diamond mountains, pitch black lava...

- 1.2-3.6 AU: Asteroid Belt, remnants torn apart by tidal forces from the stars.In order to have the afforementioned crossing, the orbit needs to be very excentric.

- 2.4 AU: Us.I advise adding a moon or two. They are nice for tidal forces, and if added in the previously suggested orbit, will give some nice effects. You can even sync them up with the destructive ice age thing.

- 4.8 AU: Generic Rocky Planet. 1.6g, 1.1atm. Lots of ice, mostly CO2 atmosphere. Too cold for liquid water, sadly.
          -Moon 1: 2.5km asteroid
          -Moon 2: 0.3km asteroid
          -Moon 3: 0.1km asteroid

- 9.6 AU: Generic Red and white Gas Giant. Neptun-sized. Mostly H2 and He. At least 6 notable moons. Small, but noticeable white rings.

- 19.2 AU: Generic Blue Gas Giant. Saturn-sized. H2, He and CH4. Fairly noticeable orange rings (nothing like saturn though). At least 3 notable moons, probably more.

- 38.4 AU: Generic Dwarf Rocky Planet. 0.8g, 0atm. Completely and utterly frozen. At least 1 notable moon, probably more. Also Asteroid Belt with several planetoids.

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2012, 04:20:34 pm »

And which one is it? (And Genesis looks ok to me)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28