Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Star Type

G-type main-sequence star, yellow stars (Like the Sun, lifetime of ~10 bil. years)
- 3 (23.1%)
K-type main-sequence star, orange stars (Cooler than the Sun, more stable, slightly less massive, lifetime of ~20 bil. years)
- 4 (30.8%)
F-type main-sequence star, yellow-white stars (Slightly hotter than the Sun, less stable, more massive, lifetime of ~3 bil. years, very !!FUN!!)
- 5 (38.5%)
Other classes (Please specify)
- 1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28

Author Topic: Create a Planet  (Read 64123 times)

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
Re: Create a Planet
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2012, 04:26:49 pm »

Well, scrap the whole cloud jenkins. Was a bad idea in the first place. Tried to bring up something exotic. Hrn.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2012, 04:34:00 pm »

Well, I didnt really like it either.

For us, of course we need one or two moon(s), but I left the description up to you for now. It was more a description of the rest of the system (and you can add things too).
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2012, 04:43:11 pm »

Hmm...

Can rocky planets support planetary rings?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 04:44:43 pm by Dragor23 »

Sporemaniac777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2012, 04:44:26 pm »

Io, Io.

A large nebula of matter didn't manage to cluster together into rocks.

It forms a blanket like celestial body, 1,4 AU away from the twin stars. It blocks the light path between the our planet and the sun every 4th solar year ( the time the rocky planets takes to revolve around the twin suns) for 0,5 solar years.

Well, I doubt that asteroid belts are dense enough to blanket the light from a star... I mean, look at the biggest body of the asteroid belt in our Solar system, Ceres. It makes up one third of the asteroid belt's mass, and it has only the mass of 0.013 Moons. Asteroid belts have an extremely low denstity.

I'd like to have some asteroid belt.

I want an asterid belt.
How about having a belt with a highly exentric orbit that crosses with out planets orbit. Yearly asteroid showers are nice.

I want some gasgiants and some nice, but strange moons for our planet. As in 90 degree angled orbit, which will cause floods moving from South to North and North to South. Also, twice a year you get a rapid series of daily eclipses, compared with freak tides.

I like both of your ideas... But how would those two moons be formed?

That thing is dense. Really, more like the density of a planet. It should glob into one.

Also, in 0.5 year the temperature would certainly drop well below freezing, unless our planet produces more geothermal heat than normal. Which would cause it to cook over the rest of the time.

Maybe it's magnetical charged enough to not form a body?
And it's kinda my plan that it makes every 4th year a new ice time.  :P

Well... magnets, when close together, orient themselves to make it possible to combine the magnetic fields. Doubt that that would work... If something should cover the suns completely for a time of the year, a gas giant would be an option.

That thing is dense. Really, more like the density of a planet. It should glob into one.

Also, in 0.5 year the temperature would certainly drop well below freezing, unless our planet produces more geothermal heat than normal. Which would cause it to cook over the rest of the time.

Maybe it's magnetical charged enough to not form a body?
And it's kinda my plan that it makes every 4th year a new ice time.  :P
It won't be an ice time. It'd be far worse. The planet would become a barren, frozen rock, without any chances of survival of live except inside the deepest ocean layers.

If you wan't to go for an ice age a partial occlusion instead of a complete one. What if we replace the dark cloud with something that's already in the system. The planet, probably has a fairly long rotational period, and every so often one of the suns might obstruct the other for an extended period of time. If the weakest sun obstructs the strongest, the planet would enter a short, but non destructive iceage. Otherwise, it will enter a mild iceage.

(the suns will probably need to be way to close to each other for this to happen but.)

Okay, so I'll have a take at the planetary system:

- 0.6AU: Dwarf Rocky Planet. orbiting closely to the K star (directly around it, not around the couple). 0.65g, 0.008atm. Mostly carbon under high pressure. Graphite plains, solid diamond mountains, pitch black lava...

- 1.2-3.6 AU: Asteroid Belt, remnants torn apart by tidal forces from the stars.In order to have the afforementioned crossing, the orbit needs to be very excentric.

- 2.4 AU: Us.I advise adding a moon or two. They are nice for tidal forces, and if added in the previously suggested orbit, will give some nice effects. You can even sync them up with the destructive ice age thing.

- 4.8 AU: Generic Rocky Planet. 1.6g, 1.1atm. Lots of ice, mostly CO2 atmosphere. Too cold for liquid water, sadly.
          -Moon 1: 2.5km asteroid
          -Moon 2: 0.3km asteroid
          -Moon 3: 0.1km asteroid

- 9.6 AU: Generic Red and white Gas Giant. Neptun-sized. Mostly H2 and He. At least 6 notable moons. Small, but noticeable white rings.

- 19.2 AU: Generic Blue Gas Giant. Saturn-sized. H2, He and CH4. Fairly noticeable orange rings (nothing like saturn though). At least 3 notable moons, probably more.

- 38.4 AU: Generic Dwarf Rocky Planet. 0.8g, 0atm. Completely and utterly frozen. At least 1 notable moon, probably more. Also Asteroid Belt with several planetoids.

I like the solar system model, but the diamond planet couldn't orbit "directly around" the K star. The stars orbit around each other quite closely.

Well, scrap the whole cloud jenkins. Was a bad idea in the first place. Tried to bring up something exotic. Hrn.

Oh well, we can still have the eccentric belt, which the planet will pass through twice a year. That sounds quite exotic to me.

Hmm...

Can rocky planets supports planetary rings?

Sure, why not?

We also have a suggestion for a name for our planet! Feel free to post new ones. We still need to name the stars and the other planets though

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2012, 04:46:35 pm »

Posting to watch
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2012, 04:49:14 pm »

Aenenu!

I've always wondered about life in a system with a planet large enough to generate its own radiation, even if weak.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2012, 04:52:32 pm »

Aenenu!

I've always wondered about life in a system with a planet large enough to generate its own radiation, even if weak.

Ehm, terrestrial radiation is present on earth.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2012, 04:53:11 pm »

I like the solar system model, but the diamond planet couldn't orbit "directly around" the K star. The stars orbit around each other quite closely.
Depend on how close they are. Twin stars can be several AU apart (I think alpha centauri A and B are like 5 AU away from each other). Then again, there is the problem of having our planet at 2.4AU... So you must be right. Still, I'd like to keep it. :D

We also have a suggestion for a name for our planet! Feel free to post new ones. We still need to name the stars and the other planets though
I thought we should wait to have a sentient species and name the celestial bodies accordingly.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2012, 04:55:35 pm »

I thought we should wait to have a sentient species and name the celestial bodies accordingly.
[/quote]

Just for the sake of calling our planet something, so we can refer to the name instead of "our rocky planet" or "us"

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2012, 04:59:29 pm »

We named the planet Genesis.

I like the suggested system description thing, but with two moo s orbiting perpendicular to each other. Make one of then heavily volcanic.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sporemaniac777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2012, 05:05:56 pm »

Also, I almost forgot about the size and mass of our planet. After this is sorted out, we can start with the terrestrial development!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2012, 05:08:36 pm »

Moons in weird orientations would probably be formed by a colision with a body from outside the system, since it has to impact at the correct angle to get the moons to orbit in such a weird angle.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2012, 05:14:44 pm »

Also, I almost forgot about the size and mass of our planet. After this is sorted out, we can start with the terrestrial development!
How about 0.85 Terran masses? Slightly lower gravity=Cooler stuff
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2012, 05:17:12 pm »

How about 0.85 Terran masses? Slightly lower gravity=Cooler stuff
I'd go for slightly higher gravity (needed for a stable large orbit) but high athmospherical pressure, allowing things to litterally swim in it.

Sporemaniac777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2012, 05:23:30 pm »

Moons in weird orientations would probably be formed by a colision with a body from outside the system, since it has to impact at the correct angle to get the moons to orbit in such a weird angle.

Problem is, that collisions at that angle would signifigantly affect the axial tilt of the planet. If the moons were orbiting at an angle close to 90°, they would also keep the planet's axis in that tilt. Such a tilt would make the northern half of the planet covered by ice for one half of the year and the southern half for the other half. Unless, the moons would actually be captured planets, smaller than ours.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28