Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 43

Author Topic: "Why don't women like nice guys?"  (Read 43753 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: "Why don't women like nice guys?"
« Reply #405 on: November 16, 2012, 02:09:53 pm »

I just have a two-axis scale, with each axis being level of attraction to a particular gender.
Mine goes up to 11!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 16, 2012, 02:15:27 pm »

I have a three dimensional scale.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 16, 2012, 02:18:00 pm »

I have a three dimensional scale.
Dislike, hate, and loathing? ;D
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 16, 2012, 02:19:24 pm »

Please keep out of my stuff.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 16, 2012, 06:34:48 pm »

I get what you're saying... I suppose it's a bit strange that I'd comfort a dying person, despite the knowledge that it might not mean much to the world for very long. It's sort of a murky territory of my personality which I don't really understand well myself. I think, in part, I'd want to be there because I feel it's important that someone be with them during their last moments, lest they disappear into obscurity. Every individual acts as part of a whole... and I think, in part, I'd like to be a part of the legacy that followed them.
Oh right, I had another thought on the empathy thing from the last page.  For me empathy isn't actually entirely rational or even voluntary.  I can rationalize it and explain why its outcomes are good for society as a whole, but ultimately it comes down to feeling the pain of others.  This makes it hard for me to avoid helping someone in distress or pain even if I wanted to.

Thus in the case of wanting to comfort a dying person it could be this "feeling what it would be like to be alone when dying" thing kicking in.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 16, 2012, 06:42:31 pm »

It also calls into question where trans individuals fit in.

Since transsexuality is not a "-sexuality" in the same sense for example "heterosexuality" or "homosexuality" is, it isn't relevant to such a scale at all. To be clearer, the "-sexuality" of transexuality could be exchanged with a "-genderism" (transgenderism would mean roughly the same), while the one on bisexuality can be exchanged with a "-philia" (biphilia would mean the same), but you can't do the opposite - transphilia or bigenderism would not remotely mean or fit what it is supposed to enconcept.

I think it just reveals the unnecessary focus on the gender of the person being measured when I can flip straight from a perfect 0 to a perfect 6 with no change in who I am attracted to.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 16, 2012, 06:46:52 pm »

It also calls into question where trans individuals fit in.

Since transsexuality is not a "-sexuality" in the same sense for example "heterosexuality" or "homosexuality" is, it isn't relevant to such a scale at all. To be clearer, the "-sexuality" of transexuality could be exchanged with a "-genderism" (transgenderism would mean roughly the same), while the one on bisexuality can be exchanged with a "-philia" (biphilia would mean the same), but you can't do the opposite - transphilia or bigenderism would not remotely mean or fit what it is supposed to enconcept.

I think it just reveals the unnecessary focus on the gender of the person being measured when I can flip straight from a perfect 0 to a perfect 6 with no change in who I am attracted to.
But that doesn't even make sense.
One would be exclusively one sex and one exclusively the other. How could they be the same?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 16, 2012, 06:51:30 pm »

Penguin is MtF trans. So, she "started out" straight but after figuring out her identity that flipped to homosexual.

Anyway I initially brought up transexuality in relation to being attracted to a trans individual. Not all straight men are attracted to MtF transwomen, especially pre-op.

I personally don't care what they have between their legs myself, but that's not the same for everyone.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 06:53:14 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 16, 2012, 06:55:11 pm »

Oh, the person being measured as in the one the scale is being applied to. Okay, that makes more sense.
It could be fixed pretty quickly by changing the scale from "Hetero - Homo" to "Male - Female" then right?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 16, 2012, 07:04:36 pm »

Not really, because again, attraction to a sex vs. attraction to a gender (+ desired combinations of the above--remember, genitalia are a sliding scale, too!) gives a two-dimensional graph, at the very least.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 16, 2012, 07:33:08 pm »

That is very true.
Love, scriver~

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #416 on: November 16, 2012, 07:41:45 pm »

And you can split it also down to romantic and sexual attraction. Perfectly possible to have one and not the other. Asexuals can still have romantic attraction, and "Sexuals" can be genuinely Aromantic. And of course you get everything in between.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 17, 2012, 11:15:41 am »

It's probably been said before, but dating is a numbers game.

The reason jerks and assholes always seem to get the girls is because they've waded through the ocean of 'no's' to that one 'yes'. It's simple math. There's roughly 3.5 billion women on earth. Alot of them want to say yes, I assure you, but they can't answer a question that hasn't been asked.

Persistence and confidence is all it takes. Don't take rejection too harshly, because there will always be more fish in the sea.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 20, 2012, 10:17:44 pm »

I feel like everybody who labels themselves a "nice guy" are using the label to hide a lack of confidence and self respect. I used to do that, and to an extent still do ( and probably always will), but I've been valuing things sort of differently as of late and it really helps me make decisions to do what I want to do, even if it's rationalization of awful actions (which is a lot of the time, honestly).

The way I've been looking at is that I'm going to have to initiate 95% of the time, because if I didn't I obviously didn't want to do it enough. There was a girl who really liked me and tried to initiate numerous times, and I blew her off because I didn't really like her. The opportunity to have a real relationship was right there, completely tangible, yet completely undesirable on my part. If I wasn't interested enough in her to actually try to start something, the relationship wouldn't have gotten far because I wouldn't have cared enough to keep it up or would find myself regretting being with someone I didn't like.

The other thing I've been thinking of: Rejection doesn't mean anything, because there's no tangible loss. It's not as if the person you were talking to will never talk to you again, and, if you were "friend zoned", you're hopefully still friends. It might be uncomfortable the next time you talk, but it'll eventually be pushed to the back of their mind or you can bring it up and make the point that you don't want it to ruin your friendship. If you really liked each other before, you will now, even if the other knows you, at one point, harbored some romantic affection for them.

It's sort of like this: You're at a roulette table and the wheel's going, and you're offered a free bet. There's an ever fluctuating chance of winning, but you don't lose anything if you act. Indecision will only make you feel like you didn't lose, and is purely a comfort to people who were to afraid to try. This isn't to say you shouldn't mull it over and look what's still on the table to bet on, and by all means do so to increase your chances of winning, but you have to take the chance to win.

(Disclaimer: I'm in highschool and have very little, if any life experience. I've also been operating under the pretense I'll never see more than a few of these people again, and I can do anything I want socially other than completely vilify myself. I am at a table with a blind dealer, to extend my roulette metaphor.)

EDIT: This didn't make it in there but seriously, LordBucket usually gives out good advice, if only to try if you're in any sort of schooling situation where in all likelyhood the people you're surrounded by won't pop up again or matter in the long run. It's really fun to see how it works out if you have an interest in "active group psychology" (doing things to see what other people will do in that situation).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 10:20:32 pm by blackmagechill »

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 29, 2012, 06:23:31 pm »

I'm really sorry for reviving this, and it might end badly but I stumbled on this video by chance, it's relevant, and I would like this boards opinion on it.

Look out! It's a Nice Guy! DESTROY HIM!!11!

by someone named girlwriteswhat
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 43