Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 43

Author Topic: "Why don't women like nice guys?"  (Read 43754 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: "Why don't women like nice guys?"
« Reply #390 on: November 16, 2012, 05:50:21 am »

The difference are that you edited a negative out of his first quote and in his second quote he was talking about a videogame.

Wheras you said, with no negative in front of it, and referring to the real world, that it is female to be punched in the face.

If you just used a gender stereotyping view of relationships that would be ok but you're trying to explain the entire world with a stupid pseudo-scientific analogy.  Either provide some evidence that these fundamental forces/ energies exist or stop doing it.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 16, 2012, 06:25:18 am »

the female potential to be punched in the face

Oh, that's a dirty shot. Focusing our attack on one flaw and ignoring the rest of the argument. We don't do that while debating.

I think he is just saying, no matter how masculine a man can become, he will still have femininity in him. Imagine a homo relationship between the one who punches and the one who got punched. One will be clearly more masculine than the other. That's how I understood it.

Not that I agree with any ideas I have seen here, but still.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 16, 2012, 06:31:31 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You clarified pretty much everything, thank you.
The "personal bias" showing up is, in fact, personal bias. Or rather, personal preference. That's why I put that last part into spoilers and warned in squared brackets to avoid confusion (I tend to make horrible word choices when voicing my thoughts).
Those are simply the kind of relationship I desire, I didn't mean to say other people can't or shouldn't desire otherwise.
I've just never felt comfortable (I should have used this expression rather than "it feels wrong to me") being strongly on the receiving or giving part.

In romantic relationships most of the time it's expected for one part to be masculine and the other one feminine.
In friendships it's more common (at least in my experience) for M/F roles to be much less present.
Thus the reason I'm much more comfortable with friendships than with romantic relationships.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 06:33:08 am by wagawaga »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 16, 2012, 07:05:34 am »

So it turns out heteronormative sexual dimorphism makes me feel actually physically ill. Whodathunk?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 16, 2012, 07:31:11 am »

So it turns out heteronormative sexual dimorphism makes me feel actually physically ill. Whodathunk?
I don't know what this means. Google is confused. Something about phenotypical differences and heterosexuality.

Spoiler: Instead, I have this. (click to show/hide)
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 16, 2012, 07:33:03 am »

I basically smashed a bunch of words together to make my own phrase, but by that I meant applying heteronormative gender roles (there being a "man" and a "woman" in a relationship, regardless of their actual sex) to everyone. Dimorphism is perhaps a bad word, but I meant it to mean "two-sided".
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 16, 2012, 07:34:34 am »

I basically smashed a bunch of words together to make my own phrase, but by that I meant applying heteronormative gender roles (there being a "man" and a "woman" in a relationship, regardless of their actual sex) to everyone. Dimorphism is perhaps a bad word, but I meant it to mean "two-sided".
Okay then, but I still want you to tell me where you think you are on my graph. I'm probably a one. Maybe, 0.8-1.2.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 16, 2012, 07:35:58 am »

~4.

The kinsey scale is totally broken and not very useful, by the way. It's not a sliding scale in reality. You don't necessarily become less attracted to one gender by being more attracted to the other.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 16, 2012, 07:37:17 am »

~4.

The kinsey scale is totally broken and not very useful, by the way. It's not a sliding scale in reality. You don't necessarily become less attracted to one gender by being more attracted to the other.
Ehh, but still. It's sciency. And how many pther Graphs have you seen on the subject? Besides, it's a attempt to bring coherence to a tough subject.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 16, 2012, 08:37:24 am »

I just have a two-axis scale, with each axis being level of attraction to a particular gender.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 16, 2012, 08:41:03 am »

Which leaves out the difference between sexual attraction and romantic attraction.

It also calls into question where trans individuals fit in.

And on a potentially-humorous-potentially-horrifying note, it also leaves out non-human attraction (such as toward automobiles. Seriously).

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 16, 2012, 08:45:34 am »

I have an intense romantic attraction to my Vespa

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 16, 2012, 08:55:02 am »

I think he is just saying, no matter how masculine a man can become, he will still have femininity in him. Imagine a homo
relationship between the one who punches and the one who got punched. One will be clearly more masculine than the other. That's how I understood it.

Tai chi tui shou exercises would provide a much better example, but I don't really expect anyone here to have any clue what that is, and youtube videos are unlikely to adequately convey the idea.

It probably doesn't matter. Those who want to understand, will. Those who want to ridicule, will. Everybody gets what they want.

You clarified pretty much everything, thank you.

You're welcome. Thank you for understanding.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 16, 2012, 09:06:21 am »

It also calls into question where trans individuals fit in.

Since transsexuality is not a "-sexuality" in the same sense for example "heterosexuality" or "homosexuality" is, it isn't relevant to such a scale at all. To be clearer, the "-sexuality" of transexuality could be exchanged with a "-genderism" (transgenderism would mean roughly the same), while the one on bisexuality can be exchanged with a "-philia" (biphilia would mean the same), but you can't do the opposite - transphilia or bigenderism would not remotely mean or fit what it is supposed to enconcept.
Love, scriver~

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 16, 2012, 09:26:39 am »

Lordbucket, I think part of the issue is not that the core concept you are communicating seems rather... generalist, and mundane, and doesn't reflect reality as I've experienced it. Or that it comes to seemingly contradictory conclusions (you say men should take action, but that that being man or woman doesn't determine the balance of masculine/feminine, so why would a Nice person exhibiting more feminine attributes simply not be best served by finding a more masculine-focused woman?)

It's that you seem to have the ability to cast rather simple concepts in the most pretentious and offensive way possible. It would be if I had a discussion about crime by casting the various factors as the result of inherently African or European energies. I could. I could even do so in a way that, ignoring the language, would actually be roughly consistent description of reality.

But it would be stupid, and people would treat me like a dick, because words matter, and I'd be communicating far more than the idea within the "model". Like you are - you aren't just communicating your model, you're communicating a whole lot more, and all the non-model bits are not only extraneous, but actively damaging to your credibility.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 43