Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 42

Author Topic: CraftedDreams - A 2-D Succession Fort  (Read 47174 times)

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
Re: CraftedDreams - A 2-D Succession Fort
« Reply #420 on: January 04, 2013, 06:22:36 pm »

I guess I should have mentioned that tiny fact about glowing pits... Anyway, I seem to be losing dwarves way too fast. So, if we don't burn horribly in demonic hellfire, can I get SanDiego IV? I no longer care about job, just make it somewhere safe not immediately lethal.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 05, 2013, 09:17:48 pm »

Do we have a policy on mining out adamantine? Remember in this version, mining out adamantine can result in the fortress being too-deep'd (and end-game state that is literally an end-game state). Additionally, the monarch can mandate mining out adamantine...

Supposedly, one of Quietust's optional enhancers allowed you to edit out the "dug to deep" ending, hopefully I put it in correctly, and it won't come up, but that's if we survive, I won't re-dorf anyone until we survive this, in case we survive at all, but thanks Quietust for the info on only 10 of them, that means we're half-way through this nightmare, and we might make it out alive, after all. Also, I'm choosing to not re-dorf myself, I didn't really want one to begin with in this fort.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 09:34:39 pm by mastahcheese »
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 06, 2013, 12:09:37 pm »

OK. There's no way we can expand the map beyond the final chasm either, right? It would be interesting if we had a way to do so.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #423 on: January 06, 2013, 12:46:34 pm »

There is no way to expand the map beyond the final chasm.

However, once I release another DFHack-23a build it'll be possible to extend it upwards by adding new Z-levels. Special commands are needed for adding stairs and ramps, but they appear to work properly.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 12:49:30 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 06, 2013, 02:45:18 pm »

There is no way to expand the map beyond the final chasm.

However, once I release another DFHack-23a build it'll be possible to extend it upwards by adding new Z-levels. Special commands are needed for adding stairs and ramps, but they appear to work properly.

You mean we could generate extra z-levels in 2D DF to make it 3D? What about constructions?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #425 on: January 06, 2013, 05:38:43 pm »

You mean we could generate extra z-levels in 2D DF to make it 3D? What about constructions?
Yes - I've done some preliminary testing with it and it seems to work fine. I even went through the ordeal of decompiling 23a's map generation code so that I could replicate its logic for inserting stone clusters, mineral veins, and gems.

There's no constructions, though - that'd have to be done by editing map tiles to insert unmined walls (which can already be done using the "tiletypes" command).
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 06, 2013, 07:36:06 pm »

OK, so the reason we can extend the map up but not beyond the chasm is because the generation code for higher Z-levels is taken from the main map generation code, right? And the map generation code doesn't allow the map to extend beyond the chasm... or is there a bigger problem with that?

How will the hack deal with the regions above the cave river and other areas that are supposed to be "open space"? What about underneath the cave river?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #427 on: January 06, 2013, 09:18:27 pm »

OK, so the reason we can extend the map up but not beyond the chasm is because the generation code for higher Z-levels is taken from the main map generation code, right?
Technically, it would be possible to extend the map beyond the final chasm, but what would you expect to find there besides plain layer stone? The way the game was designed, there's supposed to be nothing at all beyond that chasm (since that's where the Demon comes from when you get too-deeped).

And the map generation code doesn't allow the map to extend beyond the chasm... or is there a bigger problem with that?
Adding new Z-levels is easy because I can just follow the same logic the game uses when filling in the geology so it's not just filled with generic layer stone.

How will the hack deal with the regions above the cave river and other areas that are supposed to be "open space"? What about underneath the cave river?
Regions above the cave river, chasm, and magma flow will be open space and should behave accordingly, though they do not reveal correctly when you mine stuff out (the logic it uses doesn't look across Z-levels), so you'd have to either use revflood or map it out from above as well.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 09:20:25 pm by Quietust »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 06, 2013, 09:34:05 pm »

I think when you break open the final chasm, you get a message that your miner has broken through to an expansive cave system. It doesn't seem to get any more specific than that, and I was thinking a less abstract visualisation would be like the caverns of DF2010 and DF2012... except it would have the demon boss in there, and would have more adamantine. Possibly, it could have more of the demons as from the glowing pits, which would make the area especially fun. Not that anyone would try to hack that in.

Would the higher z-levels spawn monsters from the cave river, caverns, or magma river?

Also, would the ability to spawn extra z-levels help with making more than however many z-levels available on a 40d port of DFhack? I haven't played that but I am aware its an issue.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #429 on: January 07, 2013, 07:24:13 am »

Higher Z-levels would not spawn river/chasm/magma creatures because the features would still only be present on the main Z-level.

Also, this would only be useful in 40d and later for adding extra levels of sky (in fact, there's work being done for 0.34.11 which does exactly this) - while it is possible to insert new Z-levels at the bottom of the map, it would require shifting everything on the map upwards (units, items, buildings, jobs, projectiles, stone/gem clusters, engravings, vermin, drink areas, river/chasm/magma border tiles, waterfalls, caveins, campfires, contaminants, webs, fires, effects, etc. in 23a; 40d and later drop some of those but add even more others), and missing even one thing could easily result in disaster.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:08:15 am by Quietust »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 12, 2013, 08:32:00 pm »

This has gotten annoyingly sane looking.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 12, 2013, 08:54:58 pm »

This has gotten annoyingly sane looking.

Its kind of sick coming from me, but if its annoying people enough we can see whether LightningFalcon is OK to start his turn and start over from that year.

I'd hardly call the situation before mastahcheese's disappearance "sane" either. It sounded like the fortress was about to fall.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 12, 2013, 10:46:22 pm »

Yeah, I think you guys might want to just skip my turn and reload, now that I'm dealing with this problem in the fort, i just haven't wanted to get back on it, and it would just ruin the fun for everyone after this, so I think we should just say that this was an amusing experience, at least from my view point, and get back to reality in the fort.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 12, 2013, 10:56:56 pm »

Ok, will download later tonight/tommorow morning, since I have unlimited internet then. 
Any immidiate pointers so I don't get invaded by demons?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 12, 2013, 10:58:37 pm »

dont dig the god stone.
was its discovery even mentioned?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 42