Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 42

Author Topic: CraftedDreams - A 2-D Succession Fort  (Read 47175 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: CraftedDreams - A 2-D Succession Fort
« Reply #405 on: January 02, 2013, 12:24:21 am »

So, we have floodgates, bridges a god damned lava spewing device and there are several levers of indeterminate purpose. Yeah, there is NO WAY this is going to end poorly.

We only have one doomsday device that we know about so far, and only about half-a-dozen levers to use it, what could go wrong?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 02, 2013, 03:50:30 am »

@cheese:

The OP speaketh the truth! We are to build a second doomsday device, to ensure hilarious self-inflicted destruction! Extra credit will be given if our currently-operating WMD is accidentally borked in the process of constructing the second, again if said borking results in the original WMD unleashing surprise burndeath upon our own dwarves on its next deployment, and yet again if, after all that carnage, the second WMD turns out to be completely nonfunctioning anyways.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 02, 2013, 07:31:57 pm »

So... We're to make a second, non-fuctioning cannon just so we have an excuse to make the first go haywire?
The Derail Thread

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 02, 2013, 07:41:05 pm »

So... We're to make a second, non-fuctioning cannon just so we have an excuse to make the first go haywire?

Actually, the second planned cannon is supposed to be in the south, to flood the world with magma faster. There's a second barrel for the Lance of Armok, the "emergency coolant release barrel", which will flood the world with water, without rendering the main gun unusable.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 03, 2013, 05:19:47 pm »

Ok, well I have about zero experience with anything involving mechanisms more complicated than what it take to farm and create basic traps, nothing at all like a megaproject.
So should I let someone else make the second Lance, or try to duct tape it together myself?

Also, sorry for taking forever for updates, I get about ten minutes a day to reply to comments, but practically no time for actual play, but I'm trying my best.
The Derail Thread

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 03, 2013, 06:42:36 pm »

Recommend you let someone else build it.

Just so people are informed, building a second lance right next to the first isn't going to help much with flooding the region faster. It doesn't increase the speed of the lava spreading, and they will be flooding the region from roughly the same spot.

I've noticed this version is quite slow indeed. The FPS doesn't seem to decay as fast as on the new version, but it sticks around 50 or so and doesn't get much better than that, even on new forts.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #411 on: January 03, 2013, 07:30:31 pm »

Framerate in this version tends to start at 60 due to it having VSYNC permanently enabled - if you turn it off in your video drivers (NVIDIA drivers have this, and I'm assuming ATI drivers have something similar), framerates should properly max out at 100 (or whatever your FPS_CAP is set to).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 03, 2013, 08:29:50 pm »

13th Slate

Due to the insane traffic in the very small hallway leading into the area of the cave river, (Seriously, it takes like half a day just to push your way through) I've ordered for some of the walls to be torn down to expand it to have two lanes.
Why no body thought to do this before puzzles me.
The doors have been removed and will be reinstalled when the area is dug out, and the hall shall be re-smoothed.

The Gold artifact armor stand has been dropped by it's creator, she just stared at it for a long while, muttered something, and dropped it on the floor and walked away.  I also found out that the name of the artifact is the same name as it's creator, which is not suprizing.

The artifact has been set up in the chasm barracks, and an archery target is under contruction in there as well.

Update: The mayor just mandated for three Moonstone items to be made. Do we have any Moonstone?

16th Slate

A two lane hall is not enough, I'm having the hall be expanded to an expansive four lanes, no bedrooms will have to be changed for this, and the only real difference is that the old jeweler's shop will have to be torn down, but since we have a more secure one deeper in the fort, this is not a problem.

Also I found out that we already had archery targets in the barracks, my mistake.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:57:34 pm by mastahcheese »
The Derail Thread

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 03, 2013, 09:12:55 pm »

Moonstone is white stone, and you can order the masons to use only white stone. You can also use stockpiles to store only moonstone around a specific workshop (mason's shop, craftdwarf's shop, mechanic's shop), and order items to be made from stone in there.

Alternatively you can have your miners dig out moonstone, since merely digging out moonstone boulders counts as producing the items. You'll need to dig out quite a few tiles though since the drop mechanism for stone is not 100%, even for legendary miners (except ore, which moonstone is not).

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 03, 2013, 09:17:18 pm »

21st Slate

Who designed this place? I've tried to find the stills to produce some drinks, and three times i've found them, but in three different places!
At least I won't have to worry about not making booze fast enough, but still, shouldn't they be centralized?
Also, I set Scruffy to make mechanisms on repeat a good while ago and just now remembered after he made a couple masterpieces. At least we have a lot of trading material now.

Moonstone is white stone, and you can order the masons to use only white stone. You can also use stockpiles to store only moonstone around a specific workshop (mason's shop, craftdwarf's shop, mechanic's shop), and order items to be made from stone in there.

Alternatively you can have your miners dig out moonstone, since merely digging out moonstone boulders counts as producing the items. You'll need to dig out quite a few tiles though since the drop mechanism for stone is not 100%, even for legendary miners (except ore, which moonstone is not).

Yeah, I knew how to just use light stone, now we have marble coffins because they just won't use any moonstone!
I did not know about the mining thing, however, I'll have to do that. Thanks.
The Derail Thread

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 03, 2013, 09:28:14 pm »

About the designs...

I didn't want to expand the hallway outwards as it would involve damaging some of the rooms. The doors on the barracks served well against goblin kidnappers, and many goblins were wiped out within the barracks when the doors were locked. After being unable to find the still nearest the gate, and not liking the stills in the river area (because floods, rain, and water destroy seeds in this version), I added some to what was likely intended to be a new barracks.

That's why things are in a mess.

<material> items just requires the creation of an object of that material. I think mandates will only either ask for a specific item of any material (why we have ratman and goblin bone greaves around) or any item of a specific material.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 03, 2013, 09:50:20 pm »

Ok, that explains a lot.

25th Slate

LightingFalcon stumbled upon some eerie glowing pits during some exploratory mining. Further investigation is underway.

26th Slate

OH NO......

A spirit of fire has manifested itself from within CaptainArchmage's private tomb. there are nine people in here engraving, including Peragarrett and myself.

Update:A second one has appeared just outside of the room.
Update:and a third one.
Update:There are now five, and a dog is dead.
Update:Six now, and a mason is dead, also I'm on fire.
Update:Seven, and Peragarrett and another mason have burned to death.
Update:Eight, and another mason has died, along with my own dwarf.
Update:Another mason is dead,and a statue has been toppled.
Update:The other statue has been toppled, the coffin that made up CaptainArchmage's tomb has been destroyed, and a dog and a cat have been thrown into the lava. They have made it to the Magma River.

27th Slate

Another dog and two of our marksdwarves are dead, I fear this might be the end.

Update: Two of our sworddwarves are dead.
Update: Another Marksdwarf and three dogs have died.
Update: a miner and another dog have died, also, they have kicked in a section of wall that was near the magma river.

28th Slate

An axedwarf was killed, and his squad of "The Deep Oars" was destroyed, "The Slippery Irons" was slain with the death of it's last sword dwarf, and two more dogs have died.
Our population is now down to 60, and we have only 44 animals left.
Numbers are dwindiling fast.

Update: A craftsdwarf was killed, and to add on top of all our other problems, a ratman just sprung from ambush.
Update: More ratmen are crawling from the chasm, another mason is dead, and now the monster from the deep have reached the chasm, lighting the ratmen on fire. Also the Trade Minister has prohibited boxes and bags from being sold.

1st Felsite

A farmer bled to death, and then, from the hills, the Berite Tosid Olonegen has arrived with migrants, so we have a new noble, now, to go along with all of our chaos.

Update: Splint has now fallen.
Update: a puppy, foal, and bull have all died.
Update: A baby and a speardwarf have been killed, and I can now see many ratmen corpses.

2nd Felsite

Perhaps not all is lost, although a sworddwarf and two horses have recently joined the list of the deceased, so have the underworld monsters, our dwarves have begun pushing back toward the former tomb, the smoke is clearing, and although there have been casualties, it seems we may have won this round.

3rd Felsite

It seems the battle is still not yet over. Another mason died, and Pitchblende burned up from being on fire.
We have slain six of their number, yet two still survive that we know of.  The new migrants have just reached the gate, and it has begun raining.

Update: A mason has burned to death, as has Aseaheru.
Update: Another mason and a carpenter have fallen, and the previous overseer, CaptainArchmage, whose tomb was where this all began, has sucumbed to the Deep.
Update: A miner has died, and the Broker's mandate has ended with his death.
Update: Two peasants, a carpenter, and a cow have died.
Update: An axedwarf, and three more civilians have perished.

4th Felsite

A miner, a marksdwarf, a farmer, and two calves have been incinerated.

Perhaps these are the mysterious creatures that Mr Frog had been hearing whispers from, the creatures of the deep from just beyond our walls, until now.

Update: The second I unpaused after writing that, Mr Frog bled to death.
Update: A mule has died, and the Mayor mandates for one item to be made of Red Spinel.
Update: A mason has died, miasma is creeping near the river for some reason, and a kitten has been struck down.
Update: Our population is now down to 51 with the death of SanDiego's third dwarf, there are still two living monsters, and seven ratmen.
Update: A mason has died. The ratmen are starting to wreck havoc amongst the populous, and one ratman has become enraged.
Update: A farmer, a carpenter, and a craftsdwarf have fallen, and a child is throwing a tantrum. There is an almost non-stop cloud of smoke from the tomb beyond the magma river, all the way to the cave river where it's starting to blend with the miasma cloud.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:16:20 pm by mastahcheese »
The Derail Thread

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 04, 2013, 12:09:44 am »

Gaah, my dorf died? Poop. Time to come up with a new character. Assuming we even survive to my turn, of course -- it sounds pretty bleak from where I'm sitting...

Spoiler: Re: THEM (click to show/hide)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #418 on: January 04, 2013, 09:47:55 am »

Congratulations - you've discovered HFS; in this version, HFS shows up before the adamantine rather than after it.

From my analysis of the code, you should get exactly 10 assorted demons (frog demons, tentacle demons, and spirits of fire) - if you manage to kill all of them (and survive the tantrum spiral triggered by the dwarves they killed), you should be safe (even if you discover more pits, no more demons will appear).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 04, 2013, 12:35:11 pm »

This is becoming like MysticMongol's turn from Boatmurdered. Except worse. We may even have to savescum if we follow the procedure to revert to a previous save if the fortress is completely wrecked.

Do we have a policy on mining out adamantine? Remember in this version, mining out adamantine can result in the fortress being too-deep'd (and end-game state that is literally an end-game state). Additionally, the monarch can mandate mining out adamantine...
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 42