Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 608 609 [610] 611 612 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 556783 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #9135 on: March 05, 2014, 01:40:21 pm »

In the library of the Red Tower of Power...

Niklas decides that he needs to master the ways of an expert enunciator - there can be no mastery of magic without mastery of one's own linguistic apparatus, obviously! So he opens up the One-Stop Guide to Supreme Enunciation and commences the learning.

He is a bit disappointed when the book doesn't really turn out to be filled with vocal secrets that would let him master the ways of pronouncing things in no time at all - instead, it seems to be a whole lot of exercises, with pronunciation guidelines and number of repetitions written out for each. Apparently flawless diction is hard work! Who knew?

He concludes that it will probably be quite a while before he's mastered the whole thing if he tries to get through it right now, and now that he's got a mortal body with physiological needs he's not sure he's got that kind of time - then again, maybe it'll be really useful later. Oh, the dilemmas of autodidactics!

At the harbor of Mothdale...

As the Second Shank slowly sinks into the Doom Strait, Morton tries to gather all this precious information about the who, the what, the where and the why that he appears to be missing about Kevin and his giant worm.

"Good jester Kevin, is everything alright? Do you perhaps know what's going on? And, ah, oh dear. You appear to have a, er, giant worm behind you. I quite hope its rather friendly..." he says, slowly reaching for the stick from the Tree of Hate - however, the attempt causes him to fall over, given how he used that arm to support himself previously, which

Unbeknownst to Morton, though, Sigmund is quite annoyed how the single person able to identify him without too much fuss just hopped away like the insensitive bugger he is. So he resorts to signs, wiggling his body in a negatory manner, then pointing his maw at a cobblestone, then burping loudly in the direction of the walruses. It's all very strange and confusing to both Morton and Kevin, not to mention kind of disgusting, so Kevin chooses to not acknowledge that and instead convey his speechlessness to Morton in the best possible way - dance!

[Kevin's interpretive dance roll: 2]

And though he dances most interestingly, Kevin gets the feeling he is not getting the main point across to Morton. Perhaps his dance requires a bit too much imagination to successfully divulge any information out of. Or maybe he's just not very good at it. It's difficult to say, really, and not just because he's mute. It's also because Mark appears to be hopping back to the ship, followed by three dolphins.

[Mark's escape roll: 3]
[Screechy's pursuit roll: 5]
[Beakley's pursuit roll: 1]
[McStrange's pursuit roll: 3]

He is a good fifty meters away from the harbor, however, when one of the dolphins - one that seems to be wielding his missing leg in its mouth - catches up to him!

[Screechy vs. Mark: 5+1+1 vs. 2+3-1]

The dolphin's head jerks to the side, and Mark's leg is momentarily reunited with the rest of his body as it strikes him square on the shoulder!

[Mark's balance roll: 6]

Mark, though he seems a little distraught at the abuse targeted at him, just keeps hopping away as the strange dolphin draws near!

[McStrange vs. Mark: 2+1 vs. 6+2]
[Counterattack: Mark vs. McStrange: 3+1 vs. 3+1]

However, the aquatic creature's attempts to bite any more of Mark's limbs off are for naught, as Mark just pushes it away, propelling himself forward at the same time.

The others wonder what the dolphins' deal might be, attacking Mark like that. Also of interest is the question of whether they should assist the fellow.

In a place of blinding white...

Scott, deprived of much-needed emotional release at the expense of other people's suffering, decides to just rant instead.

"Darkness? Are you addled? I am not evil...I am disabled! You try staying rational after half the trials I have been through! Try being raised as a shambling abomination by your pervert of a lover! Try being enslaved by some probable half-demon princling thing! Try being slowly maimed and mangled by various evil entities and becoming nothing but an incorporeal head!" he says, groans in frustration and heads off in a random direction.

"I will try that, Jeremy, but maybe right now we should focus on getting out of here! Also, you're going in the wrong direction, J! The way out is the other way!" the voice says as he heads off. Hm.

At the engineers' graveyard of the City of the Dead...

Darren is shocked at his own emergent preference of metallic, monstrous insects over women - he guesses he has been disappointed less by the former, but still! He looks for some loose objects to build a construct out of - strangely, though, there aren't any around. Only thing that is around seems to be the dirt that the insects are excavating - Darren guesses he'll have to work with that, then.

[Darren's Animate Construct roll: 5]

Immediately, he forms a humanoid shape with his telekinesis - all this floating around and talking sure hasn't hurt his abilities none. However, an insect immediately takes notice of the telekinetic construction, and ambles over to poke at it ponderously, as if deciding on whether extermination is desirable when the ground itself suddenly starts to move.

Darren briefly considers making another construct, but then he realizes that it would probably take a lot of concentration to suddenly telekinetically shape another body while keeping another one together with nothing more than practiced willpower.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9136 on: March 05, 2014, 01:44:58 pm »

Huh. I'll read this later.

Read the next book. Nonlinear Linguistics: Intoduction Etc.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9137 on: March 05, 2014, 01:48:46 pm »

Enough of all this. Get a cobblestone in my mouth, by my own means, and the fire it at the dolphins. Target whoever is more distracted or not expecting it.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9138 on: March 05, 2014, 03:42:42 pm »

Scott shall head the other way.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9139 on: March 05, 2014, 04:55:31 pm »

Get to the boata

Action below
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 12:29:34 am by killerhellhound »
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9140 on: March 05, 2014, 05:05:53 pm »

Get to the boata
((it is sinking))

((Gentlemen, I think that we can win this, but it is going to be difficult. Kevin has to tank and keep them busy while Sigmund burps stuff at them, with Mark helping to finish them off.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9141 on: March 05, 2014, 05:40:36 pm »

((I find it incredibly funny that by being the most useless member of the group, I'm now in a far less dangerous situation than you guys.))
Sig! Onol

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9142 on: March 05, 2014, 05:47:30 pm »

((I find it incredibly funny that by being the most useless member of the group, I'm now in a far less dangerous situation than you guys.))
((You got horrendous amounts of luck))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #9143 on: March 05, 2014, 08:48:10 pm »

[I'm honestly not sure we can win this. Mark is hopping into a sinking ship and going to be assaulted by walruses, Morton can't use his hand without falling down, thus can't be active and mobile at the same time, and we don't know the force of your rock burst.

We'll be fighting three dolphins with a plus one to everything (and one has a weapon that gives a further plus one) while one of us is a worm, a defenseless desk, and missing a leg. Kevin's the only one in fighting shape. Discretion might be the better part of valor here, but the thing is Morton probably has a -2 to fleeing due to his prior -1 and now missing half of himself. So pretending to be a broken desk might actually be the best thing.

Fleeing is always a, sometimes wise, option. They have the favorable ground and have us at a disadvantage, and rule one of being at a disadvantage is gaining an advantage. You don't stick around in ambushes just like you don't fight a superior force head on.

So my vote is for fleeing here, or taking cover, or doing something that would put them at a disadvantage. Problem is, I can't think of an advantage beyond surprising them, or locking them away somewhere.]
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 08:51:36 pm by Xanmyral »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9144 on: March 05, 2014, 08:54:04 pm »

((So, what's an uncomfortable position for a dolphin which is OK outside water?. We need the Captain so hard here.))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9145 on: March 05, 2014, 09:10:42 pm »

Spoiler: Tactical Talking (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9146 on: March 05, 2014, 09:58:15 pm »

((Why don't you try summoning one of those theoretical Northern bears Xanmyral and I speculated about?))
Sig! Onol

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9147 on: March 05, 2014, 09:59:03 pm »

((alright what do you guys agree on I probably can lose them in the city or we can fight ))

Mark heads for his friends instead of the sinking boat Turning and fighting the dolphins once he reaches them
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 12:28:48 am by killerhellhound »
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9148 on: March 05, 2014, 10:07:08 pm »

Spoiler: Fight or Flee plan (click to show/hide)
Morton, seeing the dolphins being oddly aggressive to Mark, and the strange worm's attempt to aid Mark, prompted the half-desk into action. Whispering a sorry to each flask, the desk takes his flasks and lobs them, hoping to cover the ground around Mark, as well as between the skeleton and the dolphins with broken glass. More flasks can be found later, but a compatriot's death is (most likely) forever!

That should hinder those aggressive animals.
[I suppose we can always try to flee if the attack fails.]
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:17:20 pm by Xanmyral »

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9149 on: March 06, 2014, 12:29:08 am »

Above action edited
My Sig

Pages: 1 ... 608 609 [610] 611 612 ... 719