Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 556162 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #4605 on: May 11, 2013, 04:08:05 am »

[Before dropping from exhaustion, I would like to make one declaration: The deity never specified humans. Hurrah for loop holes.]

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: May 11, 2013, 04:14:34 am »

[Before dropping from exhaustion, I would like to make one declaration: The deity never specified humans. Hurrah for loop holes.]

Yes, because it's extremely easy to find a virgin animal that isn't a human.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: May 11, 2013, 10:39:05 am »

[I NEED AN ADULT! :0 God is molesting me!]

"I just want my husband back."
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: May 11, 2013, 10:43:26 am »

Sigmund said hello to the artiste and added:

-Nothing new around here, but I'm searching information about magic in general for now.

He then notices Mark

-Wait, is that the tree-headed fellow?

Sigmund tries to figure out what is different in Mark and tell it to the Artiste

((Yeah, I want to do a roll for this))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: May 11, 2013, 11:20:57 am »

In a temple of Narcillicus...

Freshly handled in a most suggestive manner by a divine being, Scott is quite terribly disturbed.

"I just want my husband back," he mutters. A tender, hushed whisper passes over his mind like an echo from afar.

~Love demands sacrifice, dear Scott,~ it says, making Scott shiver instinctively, ~love demands sacrifice...~

In the home of the Artiste...

Sigmund, finding the Artiste ever-sociable, engages him in dialogue.

"Nothing new around here, but I'm searching information about magic in general for now."

"Oh, good, good. Just remember, if you get magic, for the love of all that is decent, don't pick necromancy."

"Wait, is that the tree-headed fellow?"

"Why, yes. I'm not entirely sure what he's doing, but it's presumably something important."

Sigmund examines the metal miscreant with the foliage-covered head. Well, he's certainly trying to communicate something important.

"I dare say he is trying to communicate something important!"

"Indeed! But what?"

"Something is presumably different about him."

"Well, that's all fine and good, but I don't really see why he has to try and tell me about it. It's probably not even anything too exciting."

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: May 11, 2013, 11:28:55 am »

"What is it you want?"
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: May 11, 2013, 12:32:11 pm »

"Realm of Dreams?" Morton tries to see if that name recalls any information, but finds nothing. "Well, this realm must be important if we want to get there. Does it take you to a place of wonders, hence the name, or something more literal? I guess it must be dangerous if people have died just by being near the portal." Morton continues to question.

[I'm never known for my good ideas while on the verge of passing out due to sleep deprivation, but it was just something I noticed.]

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: May 11, 2013, 01:05:04 pm »

Sigmund kept the conversation with the Artiste going:

-Why is he there if he wants to tell something anyway? Wouldn't it be easier to just come here?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: May 11, 2013, 02:33:09 pm »

Scott, more confused than usual, asks yet more of Velusius.

"What is it you want?" are the words he mouths at the altar.

Suddenly, it's like a metal bear trap has snapped shut on his soul, Scott yelps and falls over in pain.

[Will roll: 6]

Though the pain is in a whole new league compared to any Scott has experienced before, he steadfastly powers through it. Whether it's the power of love or some other form of witchcraft, it is difficult to say.

~Ah, you survived. Good. Let that be a lesson - I do not like to repeat myself. It ruins the dramatic effect.~

In the home of the Artiste...

Morton tries to recall anything he might have ever heard in relation to this Realm of Dreams. He isn't entirely successful.

"Realm of Dreams? "Well, this realm must be important if we want to get there. Does it take you to a place of wonders, hence the name, or something more literal? I guess it must be dangerous if people have died just by being near the portal."

Erin seems to consider the question for a moment.

"Ya know, I'm actually not sure what the Realm of Dreams actually is. Some say it's heaven, some say it's a land of unseen wonders, some say it's something fiendish and alien to humans. The most popular idea is that wishes come true there, and lots o' people take trips on the incredibly dangerous Sea of Death to get there based on the rumor. None that I know of have come back. Whether they actually reached it or they were merely eaten by the sea monsters the Sea of Death is famous for, it's impossible to say. The Sea of Death is the Sea of Death, after all."

Meanwhile, downstairs Sigmund is trying to figure out what sort of silly business Mark is up to.

"Why is he there if he wants to tell something anyway? Wouldn't it be easier to just come here?"

"Well, I did tell him to stay at a distance of at least ten meters from me. So there's that. Couldn't have him covering me or my minions in deadly spores and whatnot."

"He doesn't look very infectious now."

"Actually, I do suppose you're right. He looks fairly clean, actually."

The Artiste points at Mark, raising his voice.

"You can consider the restraining order lifted until such a point when you have deadly things living on you again, Mark!"

Mark does a little happy dance at this declaration, running inside quickly before his master changes his mind.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: May 11, 2013, 03:13:33 pm »

"O-oh dear, sea monsters? We may have to deal with sea monsters? Er, what do you think are the chances we'll have a nice and uneventful trip to this realm? I'd rather not like dying for a second time." Morton asked, hoping beyond hope it was a high chance.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: May 11, 2013, 04:02:58 pm »

Cowed, scott will sniff.

"I would very much like to see my beau in this life, not the next."
:c

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: May 11, 2013, 04:25:56 pm »

Sigmund remembered something about the conversation Morton was having with Erin. As he was already talking with the Artiste, he made a good use of the situation and asked:

-I hear Erin saying something about you planning to go to the Sea of Death because of some place there related to dreams, or something simmilar, I can't recall correctly what I heard. So, why would someone ever want to go there?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: May 11, 2013, 04:53:12 pm »

Well, since yelling at it didn't work, I'll go gather some ritual components.

Niklas shall go out and attempt to cature:
1 human, any age
3 cats
2 birds
1 dog
He shall bring these back to the house.

(Did the diety specify what type of virgin? Virgin of battle, virgin of faith...)
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: May 11, 2013, 04:59:38 pm »

[No, just virgin. Concerning us, I'm sure most people he finds are virgins of death, heh.]

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: May 12, 2013, 02:09:23 am »

On the top floor of the Artiste's house...

Morton's spirits sink a tad bit at the mention of ravenous beasts of the unfathomable depths out to devour hapless sailors.

"O-oh dear, sea monsters? We may have to deal with sea monsters? Er, what do you think are the chances we'll have a nice and uneventful trip to this realm? I'd rather not like dying for a second time."

Erin thinks for a moment.

"An uneventful trip, y'say? Well..."

She lifts up her hand and brings the tips of her index finger and thumb close together, leaving a tiny space between them. Closing one eye and inspecting the space, then narrowing it a little bit, she nods, then turns back to Morton.

"Yeah, the chances are 'bout that great."

Oh dear. Oh my.

As they speak, they notice that Niklas is quite absent all of a sudden. Where might he have gone?

The answer, naturally, is hunting. The chef starts up a mental list and begins searching the area. First, a human.

Ooh, there's a particularly hairy and large one over there!

[Capture roll: 6]

He confidently strides up to the man.

"You may have already won 500 gold coins! Follow me to take part in a fair competition for untold riches!"

The man grumbles, then looks at Niklas questioningly. However, when Niklas gestures excitedly, it seems to be convinced. Step one: complete!

Now to find some cats. This is remarkably easy - there must be a crazy cat-person living nearby, clearly. Now to capture these kitties!

[Capture roll: 3]

Niklas dives right at them!

[Nonlethal Subdual: Niklas vs. Cat 1: 4 vs. 2+1-1]

He falls right onto the cat and knocks it out, then goes for the next cat!

[Cat 2 escape roll: 2]
[Cat 3 escape roll: 1]

Fortunately, one of the cats runs right at him!

[Nonlethal Subdual: Niklas vs. Cat 3: 5 vs. 6+1]

However, little thing dodges him easily! Dang.

[Cat 2 escape roll: 6]
[Cat 3 escape roll: 4]
[Niklas pursuit roll: 4-1]

Unfortunately for him, one of the cats gives him the slip! The other one's a bit slower, though!

[Cat 3 escape roll: 1]
[Niklas pursuit roll: 4-1]

The silly beast runs right back again. If ever there was a case for cats lacking intelligence, this cat is certainly it.

[Nonlethal Subdual: Niklas vs. Cat 3: 1 vs. 6+1]

However, it appears that it was a bit too early to make such generalizations, as the cat jumps right on his face!

[Counterattack: Cat 3 vs. Niklas: 4+1 vs. 4]

It then scratches at his face in a nasty fashion before dismounting from the chef and resuming its escape.

[Cat 3 escape roll: 3]
[Niklas pursuit roll: 2-1]

It appears to be a bit too fast for Niklas, running away much faster than he can pursue!

[Cat 3 escape roll: 5]
[Niklas pursuit roll: 2-1]

He is quickly left in the dust by the agile, impertinent creature. Damn it. Well, at least he has one cat and a large man.

Scott is both cowed and bullied by such treatment, frowning as he lies on the ground.

"I would very much like to see my beau in this life, not the next."

As he speaks, Velusius doesn't reply. Huh. What's his problem?

[Scott dodge roll: 4-1-1]

His thoughts are interrupted by the bone vial sailing through the air and embedding itself in his throat! Dude, not cool!

~Nobody likes a whiner, Scott. The gods especially. Now do what you're told!~

On the ground floor of the Artiste's home...

Sigmund always making sure to eavesdrop on other people's conversations, asks the Artiste more about certain offhand comments.

"I heard Erin saying something about you planning to go to the Sea of Death because of some place there related to dreams, or something similar, I can't recall correctly what I heard. So, why would someone ever want to go there?"

"Well, we're going to Horizon Isle first of all. It's in the middle of the Sea of Death, but with you competent lot with me, I am confident we can survive."

He smiles at Sigmund and takes another sip of tea, taking a moment to enjoy it to its fullest.

"Of course, the reason we're there is for the portal to the Realm of Dreams, but first comes the settlement of the Isle. I'm going to be staying there for a bit, after all. But more on that later."
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 719