Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 556224 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #4575 on: May 09, 2013, 01:53:45 pm »

Ah, but seeing a mammoth strangling itself with its own fur is something everyone should experience.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: May 09, 2013, 02:52:26 pm »

In a deep and rather inescapable well...

Mark, stuck in this terrible situation, tries to think of an avenue of escape. This well can't be completely inescapable, can it?

Actually, it most certainly can't be! After all, he has metal hands and feet. And with metal hands and feet, anything is possible!

[Climbing roll: 3+1+1]

He presses one hand and foot to one side of the well, the other hand and foot to the opposite side, then climbs like a champ, getting out of the well post-haste!

One thing's for damn sure, he's never doing that again! Unless he's in a hurry, that is.

In the kitchen of the Artiste...

Morton, regarding the kitchen in silent horror and disapproval, pulls out his dusting rag. However, he puts it right back, feeling that the rag is a bit too young and innocent to meet an end like this.

"Oh dear... Such a mess. Seems Niklas has been busy."

Morton looks for some flint and steel to make fire in this place. He doesn't find any. What he does find, however, is some sort of strange device. Twisting the knob on it, he sees that it can produce sparks! How strange, he thinks. These magical technologies, how do they work? Probably best not to ask. He heads outside and looks for some handy stones.

Fortunately, all of them prove rather easy to find, even the large, flat one he requires. Fetching some wood from the nearby woodpile and some flammable grass remnants from the ground, the butler starts a nice fire with the spark-thing. Handy little contraption, that. Once the fire is ready, he sets the stone over it, calming the fire down, though some help from the side in the form of dirt is required. Soon enough the stone is brought to a nice level of heat - nice enough to make some fine tea! He pours some of the crystal-clear spring water into the pot and begins the Making of the Tea.

[Teamaking roll: 4+1]

After some arcane manipulations that only Morton himself knows how to perform, the tea is ready, and it smells rather amazing. Tastes wonderful as well. Yet another job well done.

At the entrance to the defiled kitchen of the Artiste...

Sigmund, coming to grips with the gravity of his predicament (something that seems to happen rather often as a whole), continues his dialogue.

"Does that mean that I'm forced to serve you for my whole existence? Even after the death of any of us?"

"Now you've got it! Very good. That is, unless I choose to let you go. Which I might do if I succeed at my goal."

Niklas, listening and nodding along wisely with the conversation, adds his own question to the lingual fray.

"Speaking of which, do you know magic? I've been thinking of becoming a cleaver mage."

"Tell me that not every kind of magic gets it's power from torturing souls. If so, I'm interested too. Also, I see that in this team there is currently an excess of that kind of magic. I would like to become a mage if I'm ever able to do so, but I don't know how dangerous can magic be for the caster. Is it really a big trouble?"

"To be honest, I don't know any magic and I'm not really familiar with the theory of it all. I can do spacewarping magic pretty well, but that's mostly going off the instinct of the guy whose body this is. Otherwise, I have no clue about how magic works. Something about foci if what the rest say is correct. Awfully strange and complicated is the impression I've gotten from what they told me."

"I had a shaman in a village I lived in once. He was more crazy than me. Used hair magic, so he had hair that was over 40 feet long. I asked him once why he used hair magic and he said that the hair was his 'focus' or something like that. He really liked his hair. I really like my cleaver. I think we can make this work."

"I think I could not imagine how could it be a normal day your village. And I think that I don't want to know either."

"Ah, but seeing a mammoth strangling itself with its own fur is something everyone should experience."

"Regardless, if you want to know magic, ask one of the geniuses up top. You know, the people who have actually studied magic for an appreciable length of time, and didn't just steal the mind of someone rather competent at that sort of thing. Sure, I could fish out the information you're looking for from the mind of my body, but I don't feel like wading through all the sexual fantasies on the way to magical knowledge."

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: May 09, 2013, 03:17:59 pm »

Sigmund thanked the Artiste about the information and went upstairs to look for one of the mages. Maybe the one that did not use soul slavery in her magic would be willing to help him. He begun by introducing himself:

-Hello, I think that we haven't been introduced in the bes way. I'm Sigmund. And you name was?

[After the response]

-So, the Artiste told me that you and the others are mages, aren't you? I guess that it would be difficult to learn that profession, am I right?

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: May 09, 2013, 03:23:54 pm »

Scott shall stay prostrate and respectful, relaxing himself for the gods ministrations good or ill. Howeve he will seek to divine the emotion behind the breeze.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: May 09, 2013, 03:26:44 pm »

Morton smiled a wide smile, his joyous masterpiece complete! Morton pockets the wonderful fire-starting device, and checks to see how much of the spring water he has left, and stashes it and the rest of the tea making supplies back in his pack. Morton carefully picked up the pot, with the aid of his dusting rag to ward off heat, and made his way back into the kitchen as careful as he could to avoid spilling any of the wonderful tea. Once there, he'll try to locate the cleanest pitcher and glasses he could, as well as a platter for them, and sets about first pouring the tea into the pitcher, then from the pitcher into the glasses. If any of the ambrosial tea remains in the pot, he'll leave it where it is to deal with later.

Morton then leaves the kitchen, without the platter or tea for now, and approaches Niklas. "Excuse me, head chief Niklas, could I perhaps see one of your well-kept knives for a moment? I'd like to cut some lemons for the tea, and I promise to return it, on my honor."

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: May 09, 2013, 06:02:36 pm »

mark after a good fliping off of the well heads back home to make sure he is not left behind if they leave for a boat
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: May 09, 2013, 07:03:05 pm »

Handing Morton one of the knives, Niklas goes upstairs and saks one of the mages how this magic thing works.
Sig! Onol

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: May 09, 2013, 10:55:51 pm »

Morton thanks Niklas and returns to the kitchen to try and retrieve good lemons. If none is found, then he will try to find limes. If those aren't found, he'll sigh and go about distributing the tea. If lemons are found, slice them into wedges and put one on each glass, same if limes are found. Then go distribute the tea.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: May 10, 2013, 12:51:51 am »

In the home of the Artiste...

Sigmund, after thanking the Artiste, goes upstairs to question the other mages, followed closely by Niklas. Sigmund goes up to the red-robed woman.

"Hello, I think that we haven't been introduced in the best way. I'm Sigmund. And you name was?"

"Erin. Pleased to meet you, Sigmund."

"So, the Artiste told me that you and the others are mages, aren't you? I guess that it would be difficult to learn that profession, am I right?"

"Well, there're exactly two tricks to it. First is making a focus - it's better to cast magic from a focus ya made yerself, ya know. Second is learning a technique - usually harder and more time consuming than making a focus. When you've got both, you're a master mage. Me, I'm still in the middle of developing a technique. More difficult than it sounds, but certainly possible."

Niklas, rather than pester Erin, walks to the golden-robed man.

"I have a question."

"Yes?"

"How does magic work?"

"Willpower and focus, mostly. Both a magical focus and mental focus. The magical focus is a translator, weaving your thoughts into reality, within reason, of course. A focus can be anything, but there's two main things to keep in mind - it should be something you have a kinship with, an important object of some sort or at least something you made yourself, and that the closer you are to it mentally and emotionally, the better it is. I know of a mage who chose his cat as his focus."

"What happened to this man?"

"He is the chief member of the Black Circle of Magic. Currently 167 years old and healthy, I believe, mostly due to life magic - that's what his cat does, by the way. Life magic. The cat's 129 years old and still a right bastard from what I hear. Can only get along with her master, much to the chagrin of the other members of the Circle. It's apparently really difficult to make something living your focus, though."

As the undead's brains swell with knowledge, Kevin plots in the shadows. This next thing he will do will be hilarious. So hilarious, you don't even know!

In a temple of Narcillicus...

Scott, not entirely satisfied by Narcillicus' response, tries to genuflect harder. Wonder what that breeze means.

For a moment, the repeating pattern of breezes stops. There is complete silence for a bit. Then the breezes return.

Outside the home of the Artiste...

Morton, picking up the teapot carefully with his dusting rag, checks how much spring water he has left, finding that it is about half a bucket. With that, he goes back into the kitchen and looks for a pitcher and some glasses.

Luckily, one of the cupboards is both made of solid steel and airtight, and it just so happens to contain a whole lot of glasses and even a few pitchers that have entirely escaped the existential horror of being trapped in a room with Niklas. He pours his tea into the pitcher, then into the glasses. There's still about half a pitcher of tea left in the pot, so he just puts the pot in the cupboard, relying on its safety.

After that, the apostle of the tea leaf quickly walks to Niklas and asks politely for one of his knives, receiving one in due time. Now it is time for the last touches. But for this, he will need lemons. Or limes, he supposes. He fishes around in the pile of food for a while, but finds nothing of the sort. He finds only unidentifiable goo. Ew.

It burns a little, actually. Maybe he should wash that hand.

At a well in Shriekpot...

After flipping off the well-slash-deathtrap, Mark makes his way out of the town, running back to the Artiste's home. He runs up the gangplank.

Dang, the Artiste is right there. Mark feels compelled to run back to a distance of 10 meters from the guy.

Man, magical restraining orders are a pain.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 12:53:23 am by Harry Baldman »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: May 10, 2013, 01:17:12 am »

So how would I make a focus?
Sig! Onol

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: May 10, 2013, 01:59:58 am »

Scott begins to repeat a mantra of his promises, his body, the land and its people...All for Narcillicus.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: May 10, 2013, 04:11:39 am »

wave at the Artiste and try to attract his attention by banging my arms together (metal bones for the win)
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: May 10, 2013, 04:44:09 am »

Once everyone gathers around for tea, Kevin starts his peformance.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: May 10, 2013, 08:28:06 am »

(roll a one roll a one roll a one please)
My Sig

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: May 10, 2013, 08:34:53 am »

(roll a one roll a one roll a one please)
((I have a +1 to comedy rolls.))

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 719