Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Star Citizen- epic space sim from creator of WingCommander  (Read 23334 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen- epic space sim from creator of WingCommander
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 11:29:33 am »

Well as always Dunamisdeos you really shouldn't give out cash to a game that isn't released yet unless you have to.

What they tell you now is sort of a mission statement. They may or may not succeed.

I get more annoyed when they intentionally mislead us.

The two I can think of is "Dead Island" which was pretty much MADE OF LIES! and Black and White 2s release video of LIES!

At least Fable and Spore didn't pretend it was anything else when it was released. Heck Spore wasn't their fault it was the communites and they went out of their way to release all the info, in fact too much info, about it.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 11:31:36 am »

I think he meant that we should not overhype/ be extremely enthousiastic about this game, or other similair promising but complex games, because they might fail, with Spore being an example of that.

No that is certainly not what he said. Given that he clarified.

We get enough "Easy money" games that are mediocre but popular that often hook themselves onto a product for popularity but rarely live up to that legacy.

Would it be sooo bad if this game tried to be great then failed?
yes. yes it would. it'd be like spore all over again.

He didn't say anything about a game trying to hype itself as great. He clarified and it is about a game trying to be great.

Mind you I blame the Spore community for hyping themselves about Spore... As I said before, they put out enough information before Spore was released that you knew it wasn't going to be anywhere close to the 2005 video.

The problem was that anytime someone went into a Spore forum and went "What is Spore going to be like" they would shill the 2005 video...

I don't remember the Spore team at any time prior to release saying "yeah that 2005 video? it's basically all lies and this game will be fairly different and way more shallow than that!"

Infact I remember them still hyping it up right upto release?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 11:35:45 am »

I don't remember the Spore team at any time prior to release saying "yeah that 2005 video? it's basically all lies and this game will be fairly different and way more shallow than that!"

Infact I remember them still hyping it up right upto release?

Ohh but you see you are mistaken. They said their video was lies during the 2005 video. Hense the "Held up by staples and clue" (or whatever two materials they said)

They also entirely contradict the video in the gameplay video after 2005 and every single video after that.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 11:39:51 am »

I threw coin at this.

I want shooty space fun so fucking hard it's unreal. And as such, I think €37, while not exactly much, is enough to say, "oh, hell, this shit is awesome".

Like any crowdsourced thing, I'm only paying money I'd be willing to donate or spend anyway.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 01:42:02 pm »

Spore was not direct lies, from my remembrance. It was however, deliberately over hyped. Spore was not some kind of universe spanning mega life sim. It was a creature creator. The five ages or whatever you call them (cell, space etc.) were more akin to a collection of flash games than something i would expect form a professional developer. The creature mode was the only one that felt like any attention had been given to it. Peter Molyneux is not an expert game developer, he is an expert marketer and nothing more.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 01:49:28 pm »

Please recall these games, set in order of descending dissapointment:

Spore - Peter Molyneux. Good game, did not deliver 50% of the promised gameplay.

Will Wright. Must give credit where it's due.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 02:13:58 pm »

My rant is shamed by my mistypes.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 07:37:29 pm »

Quote.

Remember that there is a finite number of options you can cram into one game and be for the better for it.
For example let's take a space game where you can fly a fighter, command a cruiser, trade and engage into planetary or inter planetary politics.

However if you just want to be a fighter pilot on "Carrier Vessel X" and don't give a bent cent about politics, commanding capships or interplanetary commerce then you're missing on 1/4'rth of the game and chancess are the game is due to being spread too thin will be mediocre in everything anyway.

Take Derek Smart and his Battlecruiser 3000 ad.
You fly a cool ship.
You can mine.
You can trade.
The learning curve is higher than Eve and DF combined.
You have a set of fighters on board.
You can fly the said fighters.
You can fly inside the planets atmosphere bombard structures from orbit (and get fired upon by planetary defences).
You will probably quit the game before doing half of the things it allows you to do because the interface will make you give up.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 08:01:56 pm »

Spore was not direct lies, from my remembrance. It was however, deliberately over hyped. Spore was not some kind of universe spanning mega life sim. It was a creature creator. The five ages or whatever you call them (cell, space etc.) were more akin to a collection of flash games than something i would expect form a professional developer. The creature mode was the only one that felt like any attention had been given to it. Peter Molyneux is not an expert game developer, he is an expert marketer and nothing more.
Will Wright was interested in making another SimCity, something schools could comfortably install on their library computers and kids could still enjoy. A large portion of the game's realism and detail was gutted or otherwise skipped over in development because Maxis/EA wanted a game that appealed to the main audience of the Sims. Will Wright is very much an expert, but you can't blame an entire game's failure on one designer, especially not one produced by EA.

OP: Holy BS:G, in a good way. I mean, it's probably not going to have remotely as nice cinematics for gameplay, but the trailer alone made me nostalgic for the series. I guess my question in retrospect would be why they didn't hire this guy to make an actual BSG game, instead of their god-awful browser-MMO.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 08:44:02 pm »

Freelancer - a space sim that did not support joysticks. T_T
That game was my first space fighter type game, and my favorite... I got along fine when using the mouse, it still felt natural...
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012, 08:49:14 pm »

Since this is Roberts that brought us Wing Commander i do have high hopes for this game. Its ambitious as hell but from what i can see he would be recycling the SP world for the mmo then just do a few rewrites to make it open world (im going off of the old Freelancer open world servers). 2 years is alot of wait but then again people payed into wasteland 2 even though thats not coming out till next year.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 01:42:07 am »

I actually do prefer games that are playable by keyboard and mouse these days. Mostly because I don't want to drop $40-$60 on a peripheral that will collect dust 90% of the time, due to the extreme lack of ANY sort of flight / space simulator in the past five years outside a few indie / small studio projects.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2012, 03:43:46 am »

I want more Bioshock, a game that broke the mold in storytelling. I want more Final Fantasy VII, which broke the mold in graphics of it's era, yet didn't sacrifice expected gameplay. I want Assassin's Creed, that broke the mold in gameplay without sacrificing storyteling.

I swear I am the only one who doesn't like those games (Well except bioshock, which was pretty good. Never understood why people consider it "art" though, considering it was a relatively straight-forward shooter with some upgrading and a general absence of any particularly interesting game mechanics). I do agree with what you were meaning though. I want change.

I think calling them "Greedy fucks" based on the prediction that they will fail is a bit harsh. They have not done anything yet to warrent such insults.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2012, 04:06:01 am »

Spore - [snip] Good game
...really? ...how? How can someone consider the stripped-down kindergarten-level lacking-anything-beyond-pretty-colours toy that is Spore a good game, especially after you saw what it could have been? Why are you so sure SC won't go the way of Spore? Sure, they don't have a publisher. This means they can just say 'Hey, this realistic planet depiction/procedural generation of the universe/ship physics simulation/whatever is too complex. Let's just strip it away and leave two screens with three buttons in its place!' and there won't be anything anybody will be able to do about it.

Seriously, imagine it. They get their millions and we get a Generic Space Combat Simulator 304 after several years of waiting. Is it possible? Entirely, even likely. Do people overlook this possibility? Verily.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2012, 04:32:15 am »

Spore - [snip] Good game
...really? ...how? How can someone consider the stripped-down kindergarten-level lacking-anything-beyond-pretty-colours toy that is Spore a good game, especially after you saw what it could have been? Why are you so sure SC won't go the way of Spore? Sure, they don't have a publisher. This means they can just say 'Hey, this realistic planet depiction/procedural generation of the universe/ship physics simulation/whatever is too complex. Let's just strip it away and leave two screens with three buttons in its place!' and there won't be anything anybody will be able to do about it.

Seriously, imagine it. They get their millions and we get a Generic Space Combat Simulator 304 after several years of waiting. Is it possible? Entirely, even likely. Do people overlook this possibility? Verily.

I dont understand people like. Would you like a game to be as most generic as possible? Because a game that has ambition like spore sucked, so every other game will be the same? Would you not like more to support games that are ambition, than to support average games? Without risk there is no reword. If people never support any ambition game out there, high chances are, that we will never get one.

When ever I see something like this, I will support it, because benefits of having are much bigger, than falling. If we get that game, we gonna enjoy it for years, and if not? How many games did you bought that were lacking, average and bad? This game has a name behind it that always made good games and has ambition, it doesn't have a publisher, so it will not change for the sake for bigger auditorium. If you are a gamer, and you like space sim games, I dont se a reason why would you not supported something like this at least with 10$.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10