Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Star Citizen- epic space sim from creator of WingCommander  (Read 23329 times)

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen- epic space sim from creator of WingCommander
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2012, 02:37:52 am »

Looks like they started a kickstarter too: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen
Damn it, was going to put that up, but didn't have time >_<
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2012, 04:24:05 pm »

It looks like the kickstarter isn't currently being added to the total from the RSI site (since they'd reached $1 million BEFORE the Kickstarter was going). So at this point the total is going to pass 1.5 million today. Also, an interview up with Roberts on the website of Chairman for Life the Mittani: http://themittani.com/features/exclusive-interview-star-citizens-chris-roberts
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 04:55:45 pm by Tilla »

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2012, 02:51:23 am »

Update:

Attention pilots! As of this afternoon, Star Citizen is the #2 best crowd-funded computer game project of all time. We have one more week to aim for that top spot! Here's Commander Roberts with your mission briefing:

http://player.vimeo.com/video/53293424

I am currently pledging $125 but will increase to $250. That's the most I have pledged for a crowd-funded game. That's how awesome I think this project is!
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2012, 03:55:00 pm »

I am probably going to throw some moneys at this. I can't really complain about the state of things if I don't do something to try and change it.

Sort of like complaining about politics without voting.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2012, 09:01:57 pm »

Anyway.

This is part of the Wing Commander universe? I mean, too many coincidences to be "inspired". Vega sector? Bengal-class Carrier? Those attacking ships in the video looked waay too much like Kilrathi (specifically Drakhri).

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2012, 04:22:29 am »

Anyway.

This is part of the Wing Commander universe? I mean, too many coincidences to be "inspired". Vega sector? Bengal-class Carrier? Those attacking ships in the video looked waay too much like Kilrathi (specifically Drakhri).

Yes it is!
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2012, 06:19:48 am »

Holy cow, Buri! That's a ton of money!

I've been wondering whether or not to fund... it looks epic, sure enough, but the gameplay videos looked pretty meh to me :\ All the ideas seem kickass, but ultimately useless if core gameplay sucks.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2012, 06:47:46 am »

Holy cow, Buri! That's a ton of money!

I've been wondering whether or not to fund... it looks epic, sure enough, but the gameplay videos looked pretty meh to me :\ All the ideas seem kickass, but ultimately useless if core gameplay sucks.
Same here. I became sceptic with KS projects, and now I wonder every time if promises will be kept.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2012, 07:22:54 am »

Well, there are two types of KS projects. There's the totally indie gamers who are producing a game for the first time, and they tend to be overly ambitious, and then there's the people who have been in AAA gamedev for a while and are just sad that they can't get their dream projects funded. I want to believe these guys know what it costs to produce a game, and they know what they're doing.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2012, 04:33:12 pm »

Right now the problem is that a lot of these projects have been funded not long ago, and we haven't had time yet to see any of them finished...

Hopefully, once they start rolling out, we'll be a bit more optimistic.

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2012, 03:13:17 pm »

The kickstarter campaign will end in 2 days and so far they have gathered 4.2 million. And considering the final money rushes that usually happens on the last day, getting to the 4.5 mark is looking increasingly likely. Which means we get:
- All the goals on the kickstarter page.
- More flight controll support.
- Destroyer ships.
- Another base type, a Vanduul trading post.
- And finally a new alien race, the Kr'tak

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2012, 09:23:04 pm »

I'll admit, I'm pretty impressed and it's going to be nice to look forward to this game down the road.  Two years down the road, but still.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2012, 11:10:47 pm »

Yes this is a calculated risk and I am concerned about the hype generated but I am willing to take the risk to get a game like this built.

To me this is like X-Universe MMO and that's my dream game (can't afford EVE's monthly subs).

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2012, 05:32:14 am »

We have passed the 4.5 mark! Yay! 

And its 1 day and 8 hours left before the campaign is finished so getting to the 5 milion mark is looking increasingly possible.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2012, 07:36:29 am »

My IL-2 Sturmovik squadron came from Star Wars Galaxies space pvp, and they convinced me to get in on this. I went for the lowest tier, but we'll see how that goes :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10