Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: Minecraft TerraFirmaCraft: Bronze, knapping, red steel, potatoes, support beams!  (Read 47782 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Charcoal pits take 18 in-game hours.  You need about a 5x5 plot.  Fill it with logs except for the center.  Fill the second layer the same.  Light a firepit in the bottom center.  Add logs to the top center.  Throw dirt onto all of it.  Wait until it collapses.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had it collapse, but all that was there was the dug up dirt blocks, no charcoal. I'll keep trying, but it makes me sad that I can't really do much until I figure out why I'm getting this result.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

I'm hoping to get on some time today. I've no experience with TFC so should I play SSP for a while first or can I just jump in?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile

I'm hoping to get on some time today. I've no experience with TFC so should I play SSP for a while first or can I just jump in?

Just jump in, someone would be able to help you along.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile

I had it collapse, but all that was there was the dug up dirt blocks, no charcoal. I'll keep trying, but it makes me sad that I can't really do much until I figure out why I'm getting this result.
The charcoal falls as "dust", layered on top of the dirt/whatever the foundation is. It should hold up dirt above it.

EDIT: Also, it's invisible.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's invisible if you only use 1 log per pile.  Use 16 per pile and the charcoal stack can be as tall as the log piles.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, thank you muchly. I stopped stacking multiples since I seemed to always be setting up on caverns and they tended to cave in below all of my stuff, so I started singling it because effort is lame.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can set a foundation of stone before you set the log piles on top, greatly reduces the cave-in chances.  Of course it's unlikely to put a charcoal pit right above a bit of hollow earth, but whatever.

Keep in mind that tree type matters, though.  Different logs burn different ways, and produce different amounts of charcoal.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So turns out that Hiok is a griefer of sorts...
1: Was going though our chests without saying he was in the area...
2: Attacked (granted it was ok to a degree I mean don't mind)...
3: Hid by Digging into the walls of the outpost...
4: When found, he logged off and on to avoid combat and do sneak attacks...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's at least one on every server..  ::)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

I came on here to ask about Hiok. I'm at the settlement south of the spawn and he's been going through chests and using resources. He says he lives here but is that true?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not sure, he did ask at some point, I was not sure what to answer.
I think I told him to ask someone else tough?
Maybe I might have said something that was misunderstood?

edit: Maybe we should check the chat log or something.

azurelao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

playing this solo so far.

is there a good way to find more ore? i got my first pick, and have been looking for more ore in the ground because i dont want to have to pick up 200+ rocks just to get 1/16 of an ingot.

but i cant seem to find any ore, despite mining a frickton of stone

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You need to make a prospector's pick, which will tell you if ore is in an area within a somethingXsomething radius. You'll still need to find it after that, but it will cut your search down considerably. I've looked in MCedit, and I think sometimes there are huge tracts of land completely barren of any ore.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

People have deconstructed maps and determined that ores generate most commonly down to Y level 60. Above that are small deposits of tin and copper, at that level are star clusters of most other ores. Below that near bedrock there will sometimes be large deposits of ores, but good luck boring through that much stone.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17