Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: The Dynasties of Cairnwood Crossing -Beginning of Turn 4  (Read 14672 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: The Dynasties of Cairnwood Crossing -Beginning of Turn 3
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2012, 09:35:34 am »

I think he was saying that if certain genetic traits made what's-his-name a better carpenter, his kids would be better carpenters.

You can't deny the potential environmental factors, though. Nature versus nurture, you know.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2012, 12:40:32 pm »

While many well reasoned arguments have been made here, the final ruling is your child does not inherit any "world class" abilities from parents. Your children may learn jobs/traits from parents while they are waiting to become useful adults, but may not make profit until they become "adult" in game terms.  The productivity boost of having a helper is offset by failures of the child. In the medieval world and even up until 100 years ago , labor is cheap but raw materials are very expensive - so botching a job in the normal learning process is costly monetarily. This is also reflected in the "Going off to apprentice in anything costs 1gp " rule.

The only job they can make money at is farming/livestock tending.

And , finally. One final note for players. I will make every effort to keep the game updated and relevant, and answer questions as they come along, but turns may not always happen at a rapid pace. When I first started this game, I had 4 days with nothing scheduled on the evenings but sometimes things come up. I'll be writing up the turn tomorrow as I get more time to sit down and concentrate on the game. You should expect to see it around 6PM EST.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 12:48:23 pm by Mullet Master »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2012, 12:48:36 pm »

Sounds fair.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2012, 05:41:49 pm »

With the dawn of the new century , and the chaos surrounding the war, the town of Cairnwood crossing is rapidly changing....
Conditions are as follows :
Food prices are very high due to the war consuming a lot of food.

House Wolfclaw

Nikita and Volk work hard in the fields for a few years - Volk single handedly feeds the family while her mother strains to clear land for an orchard.
Volk leaves for an apprenticeship with a blacksmith

Volk leaves to be an apprentice to a blacksmith. Volk takes to the woods, logging as Nikita stays at home to farm the fields. The people of the town wonder why Dmitri is logging instead of building houses or furniture, but after a while people just shrug.

The Inn makes a modest income throughout the years, but since Nikita and Dmitri were working full time at other jobs they could not fully profit with it. Oftentimes, travelers would come in,stay  the night, and leave without paying since the the family wasn't able to be around most of the day.

Dmitri and Nikita make a very risky decision - to have a child with Nikita being 47 years old. The danger of this is told to Nikita many times, but she doesn't listen. She dies during the pregnancy due to complications. Under the hot August sun of 1507, Nikita is buried in a small plot behind the family house.

Volk returns home missing a mother, and having to go back to the fields to keep her and her father fed.

House Kappel

Lucas returns to Cairnwood and starts his congregation. Initially, only ten people come to church, and for years, it is just a small congregation. As Nirur pulls away from the family business and rests in his house. Lucas becomes more prominent throughout the town and more people filter in. When the congregation reaches 50 people, a representative from the Church of Bethelos visits one Sunday and officially authorizes the church. This is very exciting for Lucas, but it also comes at a price. The offerings by the church mostly have to be returned to the head of the church, and what little is left over is used in providing Lucas a meager salary and upkeep of the building.

On a beautiful October day, Lucas marries Uta, a midwife in the village, and the Kappel dynasty is continued. Nirur and Petra leave to their cottage to live the rest of their days with each other, comfortable and watching their grandchildren grow up.

Financially, house Kappel has struggled to keep up with their investments. The pottery shop was very expensive, and demand for pottery in town just isn't high enough. Food is expensive, and Lucas' ever expanding family had to put plans on hold a while to farm when the money ran out. Even though members of the church has helped Lucas and his siblings, thhe family is financially in trouble. House Kappel tried to provide gold for the town to keep a sheriff, but did not manage to get enough money.

Spoiler: Nirur-House Kappel (click to show/hide)

House Fenix

Leon has a plan for his children's future. He starts building workshops for them - getting them ready to go out on their own. One by one, they come back from their apprenticeship, and Leon grins and shows them their new workplace. The children go to work, and money absolutely streams into the family. There's always a rush of activity around House Fenix - trees are being cut down, furniture is being loaded into ox carts,and beautiful dresses are being made.

Through life experience alone, Leon has learned to become a carpenter, after building many buildings.

In 1510 Leon has a grand party at the Inn to announce that Damion and Chrissy are now moving out to start their own families. Many people from the village turn up, marveling that it has only been 30 years since Leon was a peasant and now his children are starting out middle class!

Overall, Leon and Alexandria are satisfied with their life, and finances look great.

Spoiler: "mesor-House Fenix" (click to show/hide)

House Draco
It is big news around the town - House Draco will build many new buildings in the upcoming years! Everyone has doubts, but one by one , the buildings go up as Magnum looks out from the porch of his newly made house. Magnum is one of the first teamsters in town, using his two large oxen to do anything that is required.  He helps the villagers plow fields, pull stumps. It's almost too easy of work, he gets home early and his back doesn't hurt that much.

Speciosam continues weaving, becoming better and better at it. She has moved from the basics of blankets and rugs into fine cotton cloth, as well as flax and hemp cloth. She proudly gazes on her creations throughout town, including her finest work, a beautiful tapestry depicting the royal colors of Bethelos - naturally hanging in the Burgomeisters office. On a few occasions, she even makes some lengths of rope to help out Magnum with his cattle. Things are looking up, and profits are greatly expanding. On one night, after much wine and celebration, the couple decide to have another child. Just like House Wolfclaw, this is ill advised for such an old woman, and now another tragedy strikes. Speciosam dies during childbirth in the middle of the winter, 1506.

Magnum sends his only daughter off to school and returns to farming, solemnly working the fields day and night. He speaks to almost noone for years, only having brief conversations with his son.

Fillium works hard through the years, trying to please his brooding and distant father. Although he has physical difficulties with some of the work, he finds a niche in making nails for all the new construction going on around town. Day in and day out, he makes nails, brackets, and other small items. The money isn't great, but he is definitely keeping ahead.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 06:07:20 pm by Mullet Master »

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dynasties of Cairnwood Crossing -Beginning of Turn 4
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2012, 05:43:38 pm »

Please do not make any turns until I explain a few new concepts- such as labor, the growing town, etc.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2012, 06:27:47 pm »

I take it the child died as well?
Also, when was it mentioned that childbirth in the 40s would cause issues? I was wondering when menopause would kick in, but had no idea it would be fatal...
Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2012, 06:34:38 pm »

It historical.
Back then once women reached that age more often then not if you were lower or middle class you were generally fairly frail from the strain of 30+ years of constant physical labor.

Hence why I've made less money but been giving periodic rest breaks to my family.
It counters the extreme amount of work our family has to do.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2012, 06:41:29 pm »

Ah, okay. I did not know that.
I wish you would have made that more clear, though...RIP Speciosam.
Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2012, 06:42:16 pm »

Id suggest nobody try to have kids above the age of 35.

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2012, 06:50:56 pm »

I take it the child died as well?
Also, when was it mentioned that childbirth in the 40s would cause issues? I was wondering when menopause would kick in, but had no idea it would be fatal...

Yep, child died too.

In the first post , it says
Have baby - Matriarch only, takes 1 year. Remember the year - having many children is dangerous and taxing on resources. You can have children up to age 35.
Now, I was pretty generous with a few families and let them have kids a year or two past 35, but  this rule has not changed. A woman trying to have a baby today would find it very difficult at age of 47, and it would be very dangerous. In medieval times, it is estimated 1/5 pregnancies ended in the death of the mother.
http://historymedren.about.com/od/medievalchildren/a/child_entry.htm

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2012, 07:05:42 pm »

In the first post , it says
Have baby - Matriarch only, takes 1 year. Remember the year - having many children is dangerous and taxing on resources. You can have children up to age 35.
Wasn't there originally...Yeah, okay, my bad. Next time I do something against some rule like that, can you remind me of the rule before doing the turn?

A woman trying to have a baby today would find it very difficult at age of 47, and it would be very dangerous.
I did not know that. About the worst I expected was discovering that Speciosam had entered menopause.
Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2012, 07:07:09 pm »

It would be a little unfair though if he tells you so that you can go back and change it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2012, 07:14:08 pm »

Not if he only does it to remind me of a rule I missed, and does it for everyone.
Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2012, 07:18:05 pm »

But making mistakes is a part of life so it does add a bit of realism to it if you forget something and then it puts you at risk.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2012, 07:27:44 pm »

Hey, presumably Magnum and the rest of House Draco were aware that having babies past the age of 35 would be bad, and if not they might have considered the warnings of the others. I hadn't noticed the rule so I had no idea that anything bad could happen; it came out of the blue.

I'm just asking that if some action I posted would have some really bad effect due to a rule I could have missed, say if it had been changed since the game started getting all of its rules, Mullet Master gve me and others making some such mistake a little warning saying, "Hey, X will happen if you do Y. Want to change your action?" Otherwise, it seems like Mullet Master wants me to reread the rules before I do every turn in case something's changed or been forgotten that could kill someone or do something else bad.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13