Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: The Dynasties of Cairnwood Crossing -Beginning of Turn 4  (Read 14651 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: The Dynasties of Cairnwood Crossing -Beginning of Turn 4
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2012, 08:35:44 pm »

"I also believe self-sufficiency would be a good idea, but could we not also send some people to the mine as well? I would have gone in my youth...I suppose for similar reasons to why I eventually came here.
I would be willing to contribute to the mine. If we all contribute equal shares to build the mine from our own pockets, we could take 25 or 30% of the mine's profits and split them up evenly without being seen as rude, no? That offer should appeal to the more mercantile of you.
I do not like the idea of all the refugees being indebted to one of us. Let us divide the responsibilities among ourselves."
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2012, 08:38:47 pm »

I will stick to the housing aspect of it and claim no profits from the mines. I have no interest in mining or metal work in any case. But I would be glad to have a partner in housing the refugees if anybody else has any interest in it. Two families could build say 30 houses and house all of the refugees then we split the rent's from these refugees 50/50."

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2012, 08:42:58 pm »

(( I am going to give Tsuchigumo550 a chance to speak, but it looks like we have 3 votes for #1 but leaving the farmers free men))

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2012, 08:45:14 pm »

"You'll make a lot of people quite annoyed with you if you hire people to build houses and immediately start charging them so much in rent.

I, er, Kappel, has no opinion on Fenix's mining plans."

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2012, 08:47:11 pm »

(( Can we have the next part of the meeting then as well so we can move on? We can still consider his thoughts on part one when he comes on.
 ))

I will not begin to charge them until the third year once they have time to get everything running. I can stay afloat without working for a time and with the added income from my land and family. If nobody cares to help I will take 2/3 of the profit and then the final 1/3 will be donated to the town.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2012, 08:47:44 pm »

Metal is the basis of modern labor. What are the plows we farm with made of? Metal. What are the weapons we defend our homes made of? Metal. What do we cut down trees with? Metal. You can't escape it, we'll need metal somehow or another. We may as well get the metal ourselves rather than buying it from other lands.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2012, 08:52:53 pm »

I agree with this but if the town starves metal will do little good. Better to ensure the town will thrive first. We can use the additional man power and money from the new residents and farming to get the mine up and running.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2012, 08:55:01 pm »

I never said all should go to the mines, just some. Do we even have enough land to give every family enough? And what if some do not know farming but are strong? Should we force them to learn how to farm just because we do?
Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2012, 08:59:12 pm »

That is why I voted to make them free men as well. They work on the farm until we produce enough food to sustain our rising numbers. Then they are free to make whatever choice they would.

But whatever you all decide one thing remains the same, we need to house them and that is what I will be doing. I will take 2/3 of the profit I make from housing them for myself and the final 1/3 will go to the town itself to be spent on whatever this council should decide we need.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 14, 2012, 09:01:31 pm »

"No, mining some is a good idea, I mean that Kappel can't affor-- doesn't wish to buy a share of the mine.

Many of the refugees will need hope after losing everything. The church isn't big enough for everyone. I propose an expansion, after everyone is fed."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2012, 09:02:32 pm »

I will house whomever wishes to be housed on my property, and I will also provide work to do and pay them for it. Unless you were hoping for a monopoly...?
Kappel, if you don't want a share of the mine don't join. Anyone else who does, speak up.
Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2012, 09:05:48 pm »

I would prefer to cover housing them myself, I have no desire to work outside of construction and carpentry and so housing is going to be my main purpose in this town for the future. Your interests are some what more diverse then that but by all means hire them if they seek work.

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2012, 09:08:58 pm »

Council Meeting Talking Point #2 :

"Gentlemen, the next order of business is building our new government center. Before this war... abruptly ended, we were going to build a decent sized town hall. We have a set of plans drawn up by the King's own architects. We need to figure out a way to build this , at least to establish ourselves as a functioning government to any passerby.

Vote on an option :

#1 : Completion by 1514 will require 20 gold from the city council members coffers to hire builders and purchase materials from the BBS. The gold will be due immediately.
#2 : Completion by 1518 will require 10 gold from the city council's coffers to hire builders. The stone will be quarried locally by refugees and many local businesses will supply other materials. The gold will be due immediately.
#3 : Completion by 1525 will require no gold as it will be completely funded by projected tax revenues.

Regardless of individual contributions, the building will forever remain under ownership of the city government.

Council Meeting Talking Point #3 :

We must figure out how to deal with poverty among refugees in the upcoming years.
We can...
1) Build large bunkhouses to keep people out of the weather until they can afford a house on their own.
2) Loan money to immigrants to have houses built.
3) Ignore the populace, allow the construction of shantytowns. Spend the money on additional guards. This will boost the sovereignty of our town as well as keep crime lower.

Our town coffers only has enough gold for one such option, so it has to be the best one.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2012, 09:13:48 pm »

I believe that a town hall is secondary to our other concerns. I, for one, do not have coin to spare if I wish to fund housing, employment, and a mine.
As to the housing issue, I suggest we allocate some funds to build a barracks of sorts. Anyone who does or cannot work may live there and be given food enough to live, and do basic maintenance around Cairnwood. Others will be housed in houses of their own or ones the landowners set up. Any additions to my plan?
Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2012, 09:17:20 pm »

"I think we all agree the town hall should be built by tax revenues. It is hardly important at this point in time.

I would be willing to construct bunk houses myself for the refugees, but I will need to know how many and how much it will cost so I can decide how much labor I would need.
"
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13