Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Dishonored :(  (Read 28721 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dishonored :(
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2012, 10:32:30 pm »

And I'm allready rather annoyed that I can't break lights. Isn't this a stealth game? :(

Isn't breaking lights a good way to let people know you're there? :P

That's almost as bad as shooting security cameras to avoid detection. (okay, not /quite/ as bad)

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2012, 12:24:22 am »

And I'm allready rather annoyed that I can't break lights. Isn't this a stealth game? :(

That's almost as bad as shooting security cameras to avoid detection. (okay, not /quite/ as bad)

This is something that has always confused me about stealth games. It seems the only time you would want to shoot lights/cameras is after you have been detected, to make pinpointing your location harder. If you havn't been discovered yet, it would seem counter productive to announce your existance to the thing you are trying to avoid.

Then again, most NPC's in stealth games suffer from severe amnesia. Don't know why they keep hiring them.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2012, 12:54:09 am »

Because HR has amnesia too.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2012, 01:06:14 am »

Lights being shot out worked in Thief, I guess because we can sorta believe that that guards just thought that torch went out or something on it's own. Though you might think it would be their job to re-light them, they are a primary tool of keeping watch after all, right?
I got nothing

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2012, 04:52:54 am »

Lights being shot out worked in Thief, I guess because we can sorta believe that that guards just thought that torch went out or something on it's own. Though you might think it would be their job to re-light them, they are a primary tool of keeping watch after all, right?
The fully lit torch suddenly went out and there's a mysterious puddle of water around it. Though I guess that's on par with dragging away dead people, leaving trails of blood and no one ever taking notice of the blood nor the person missing. Stealth game tropes, I guess.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2012, 04:57:33 am »

I've been watching this game for a year or two now, it looks pretty good. I'm stuck between playing more Dark Souls or buying this now.
*Groan*
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2012, 08:41:59 am »

Well yes, but so is knocking out each guard one by one and dragging their unconscious bodies to the pantry.

The game isn't "sneak through these rooms and leave no trace of your passage" it's "assassinate this guy." People are going to know you've been there. :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2012, 09:21:09 am »

I've been watching this game for a year or two now, it looks pretty good. I'm stuck between playing more Dark Souls or buying this now.
*Groan*

I think one of them will piss you off significantly less than the other. Don't get Dark Souls unless you're ready to feed it your RAEG.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2012, 09:53:03 am »

Ur logic is invalid. Buy both.  8)
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2012, 10:00:34 am »

More guys, more.  He already has Dark Souls :)
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2012, 11:37:23 am »

Well yes, but so is knocking out each guard one by one and dragging their unconscious bodies to the pantry.
The game isn't "sneak through these rooms and leave no trace of your passage" it's "assassinate this guy." People are going to know you've been there. :P

No, no, that one makes sense. If you knock out the patrolling guards, who's left to notice? Only people who stumble across signs that someone's been knocked out, of course! (hence the dragging)

The real problem here is that "knocking people unconcscious" isn't exactly a reliable thing.

Anyway, I can see knocking out lights as a combat/escape tactic though, so that would be cool - maybe knock out some lights in an area where people aren't likely to react, and then flee through that area when you're making your escape, or something like that, so they don't know which you left through.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2012, 12:01:56 pm »

So what kind of price point does the game have?
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2012, 01:23:17 pm »

$59.99 USD. At $30 or so I would have pre-ordered, even with all the pre-order shenanigans. At $60 though I can wait for a sale.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2012, 01:38:16 pm »

I know nothing of Dishono(u)red, but I got to ask. Does this game feel like a Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, but with guns and steampunk? Because I found that I couldn't replay that game more than once and since this game was made by the same team ... I don't know. This game just doesn't thrill me, while XCOM has me shivering like a junkie without having even played the game yet.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2012, 04:30:18 pm »

Decided to have my mother pick it up for me.
(I would have gone myself, but seeing as it's illegal for me to drive at the moment, yeah.)
Anyway, sure.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13