Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Dishonored :(  (Read 28693 times)

Theoboldi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dishonored :(
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2012, 01:31:54 pm »

Hi guys, just barging in here with a technical problem. I just bought dishonored and immidiatly tried to install it. However, steam is telling me that it isn't realeased yet for some unthinkable reason. I'm rather confused right now, since it was released today, otherwise I wouldn't be holding my copy of the game in my hands right now. Will it be unlocked at some specific time?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 01:42:58 pm by Theoboldi »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2012, 01:43:20 pm »

Close and restart Steam.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Theoboldi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2012, 01:55:42 pm »

And that worked for some reason. Oh well, at least it's installing now. Now I only have to wait for 2 hours or so, and then I'll be able to play. Hooray.

Edit: In retrospect, restarting steam is the first thing I should have tried. Oh well, lesson learned.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 02:06:02 pm by Theoboldi »

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2012, 09:40:19 pm »

You're supposed to be able to play through this game without alerting or killing anyone. You know, unlike in MGS and Skyrim where combat is mandatory? It even has different endings based on how aggressive you've played. Like you could easily go through the prison slaughtering everyone, but that's not really the point of the game. Much like killing everyone on the map in Hitman Blood Money is not the right way to play that (even though that was easy as hell to do even on the highest difficulty level).

On a different note, this is one of those games where normal is the new easy (much like with Deus Ex HR). Play on hard for a challenge.

Skyrim as an example is irrelevant to the stealth element- I referenced that on the topic of the AI; in Skyrim, alert enemies will at least path away from you when you try to pick them off from above. I would have expected the same, if not better, from a game that places such an emphasis on stealth.

My point was that, while different endings based on stealth rating is good incentive, that alone does not (for me, at least) make the gameplay as fulfilling as, for instance, that of the original Tenchu, wherein having three or more guards alerted to your presence could mean a quick death without considerable luck and skill on your part.

All said, I think that Dishonored is a damned good title, but prefer to praise on exception. :P
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2012, 09:56:11 pm »

So I played through the game, I went for a pacifist, stealth, "don't kill anyone and try to avoid knocking out as many people as possible run". In some ways this was rather boring, especially since sneaking past everyone in the game is pretty laughably easy with a bit of patience and a lot of blinking. But I went with it anyway.

Overall I found the game to be pretty enjoyable, I loved the slightly goofy, grimdark industrial atmosphere of it all, and it was pretty fun in gameplay too, although the plot was a bit predictable.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2012, 08:02:32 pm »

Does Corvo's head always detach itself from his body when he dies? because the camera rolls like a bouncy ball if you get killed.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Theoboldi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2012, 08:25:16 pm »

I gotta say, the only real problem I have so far with the game is that whenever I try to pick up the bonecharms in one area, there always happens to be one behind a door for which I only later get a key. I'm only on the second mission, but it's already getting rather annoying.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 08:28:16 pm by Theoboldi »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2012, 08:28:16 pm »

I gotta say, the only real problem I have so far witht he game is that whenever I try to pick up the bonecharms in one area, there always happens to be one behind a door for which I only later get a key. I'm only on the second mission, but it's already getting rather annoying.
Did you check all of the nearby npcs? Sometimes in stealth games, if you can't find something either theres a hidden way to get somewhere, or you need to knockout/loot (or kill/loot) more guards until you find the requisite key(s).
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Theoboldi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2012, 08:29:08 pm »

I know that. I'm only saying that it's annoying. I never know which ones I can't get yet before I try to get them.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2012, 08:54:01 pm »

For the record, some areas/bonecharms/loot seem to be available only if you have a certain skill (not include the ones the game starts you with) or favor a particular playstyle (stealth vs brutality).
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2012, 08:55:34 pm »

Just gave it a little try, passed the first level on hard trying not to kill anyone. My surprise when my i see the debriefieng that 2 soldiers died even tough i used a non-lethal aproach. Looking back i know why, after knocking them uncouncious one fell on water and the other fell from a high place, i restarted the level and ill know take care to carry them to a soft warm place when they are knocked out xD.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2012, 03:21:58 pm »

Don't forget to make leave them warm milk and pastries for when they regain consciousness, just to be sure they won't die.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2012, 06:27:22 pm »

If you're having a hard time finding small items, Level 2 Dark Eye [or whatever it's called] will highlight all lootable objects. Through walls.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2012, 07:27:19 pm »

I caved in and got this. I've only gotten past the first assassination, but man is this my kind of game! So far I'm loving the setting, it seems incredibly fleshed out for a game like this. I also love the exploration aspect.

The actual gameplay is pretty good so far, combat is swift and brutal, playing on hard and I think I'd be burning through a lot of consumables if I were to play violently. It's pretty difficult to survive when enemies gang up on you. Stealth gameplay is fairly standard, sneak around, don't get into the guards (narrow) view cones etc. Apart from the setting, the powers you get is where it shines, I really like the blink system they've got going since it makes moving around the level trying to get ahold of as much loot as possible really fun. It really facilitates creative exploration.

I'm not going to regret buying this, at least, that's for sure.

Spoiler: slight spoilers (click to show/hide)
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2012, 07:30:44 pm »

About the Outsider:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13