Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Dishonored :(  (Read 28687 times)

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: DishonoUred
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2012, 07:53:33 am »

[FYI]
The word 'honour' is based on the French 'honneur', which is itself based on the latin 'honor'. It seems like the 'u' appeared in some derived forms of 'honor' when it got into the Old French. Note that in French, 'déshonoré' doesn't take a 'u' too.

To conclude, the word is correct with or without a 'u'.
[/FYI]
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2012, 09:20:14 am »

Woohoo 1 hour/3GB to go, cant wait to get fiber upgrade next year.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2012, 09:32:32 am »

For those complaining about length: Portal was a 2-6 hour game, and worth a hell of a lot more than 100% of the 50-60 dollar games released that year.

Quality, not quantity, in my opinion.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 11:43:47 am »

[FYI]
The word 'honour' is based on the French 'honneur', which is itself based on the latin 'honor'. It seems like the 'u' appeared in some derived forms of 'honor' when it got into the Old French. Note that in French, 'déshonoré' doesn't take a 'u' too.

[/FYI]
I assume they're using the U because you use a U in the British spelling, and it's set in a fantasy version of Victorian England.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2012, 12:35:23 pm »

It still needs to be uncapitalized, it's bugging me.

So has anyone actually played the game yet? I've honestly been looking forward to this for a while, everything I've heard about it describes the effort put in as a kind of artistic mastery, creating an amazing world and mood. Really thematic.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2012, 12:39:14 pm »

I for one thing all digraphs/diphthongs/whateverthefucks should be made into a single glyph, even if that means adding new letters.

I laf at ü & ür U
Shoes...

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2012, 12:40:26 pm »

I picked it up but I have a lot of work to do, I'm playing later today.

Also that U in there managed to trick the search engine to where I foolishly posted a new thread... >.>

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2012, 01:04:15 pm »

What do people think of the graphics? I know that's a loaded question around here, but in all the videos I've seen I can't get over how washed out and flat so many of the textures look. It's not consistent, but when someone walks up to a door for instance the quality of the texture is noticably poor. I saw this many months ago on youtube trailers and many people wrote it off as just bad compression or what have you. But after watching most of Total Biscuit's review, I find myself wondering how/why the textures look so shabby. At least in comparison to most 1st person action games out there.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2012, 01:21:45 pm »

[FYI]

[/FYI]
honor, honor-is, neuter. Is it wrong that my mind instantly thinks that when you mention a latin word? I'm not even sure if its right.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2012, 01:29:46 pm »

Also that U in there managed to trick the search engine to where I foolishly posted a new thread... >.>
More reason to uncapitalize the silly thing.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2012, 02:45:35 pm »

The capital isn't the problem, its that there was a U in there in the first place, since he was looking for Dishonored instead of Dishonoured.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2012, 02:51:30 pm »

I for one thing all digraphs/diphthongs/whateverthefucks should be made into a single glyph, even if that means adding new letters.

I laf at ü & ür U
Trouble is that English has a lot of different inflections for the same letters in different words, and sometimes even for just the same word. Not to mention all the different ways different dialects pronounce words and letters.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2012, 02:53:24 pm »

Oh bloody hell, I try and make a really crap joke and everyone gets all linguistic up in ma thread >:(
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
Re: Dishonored :(
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2012, 03:12:11 pm »

There is no u.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Dishonored :(
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2012, 03:14:10 pm »

All unnecessary vowels must die D:<

Kidding, kidding.  Seriously it doesn't matter.  Two different releases, two different English speaking cultures with different rules that like to antagonize each other.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13