Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 91

Author Topic: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC  (Read 441250 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC
« Reply #705 on: March 04, 2016, 09:35:42 am »

I may have missed it here, but what's up with the derelict building on your farm plot?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: March 04, 2016, 09:36:06 am »

I may have missed it here, but what's up with the derelict building on your farm plot?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lucidvizion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: March 04, 2016, 11:25:17 am »

Not everyone can leave things running like that in the long term. Imagine a house with small children running around. The baby cries, the toddler screams, and you aren't going to have time to play again for at least a few days. You might be surprised how common a situation this is. It's not always feasible to just leave it running. And really, the idea that the only solution to the lack of basic functionality is to leave everything running until you have time to come back is just kind of ridiculous. I'm really extremely surprised and disappointed to see that a developer who put so much thought and effort into the little things somehow managed to miss such a major issue. Gamers aren't all teenagers these days. People have things to do. It is never a good idea to punish the player for having a life, unless the only players you want are the ones who have no life. And that's a much smaller demographic than most people might think.

Sounds fair enough.  I just figured that (at bare minimum) it was a better option than quitting without saving. 

I am sad to see that you feel personally slighted by indie developers making business decisions like this though.  To him it was more like "do I eat bread and water rations for another X months writing save anywhere code or do I try to finally get a paycheck after years of working on a single product".  That kind of time is worth tens of thousands of dollars to someone that could just quit making games and get a job in private industry.

It's perfectly reasonable to be upset when devs don't include a feature that's very important to being able to play the game.  Everyone understands there are tradeoffs involved in development.  We can still be sad and upset that things we really want/need to enjoy a game aren't included. 

There's no need to dismiss what someone else is saying by implying that they're overly-sensitive and ignorant (which is what you're doing).

That is not at all what I meant, but thanks for your input.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: March 04, 2016, 01:20:59 pm »

So, GeDoSaTo is pretty cool, and also made me realize how completely run down and shoddy my farm looks.  :P

Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: March 04, 2016, 01:43:24 pm »

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: March 04, 2016, 01:59:34 pm »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: March 04, 2016, 03:16:49 pm »

So, GeDoSaTo is pretty cool, and also made me realize how completely run down and shoddy my farm looks.  :P

Cute!  :D
Oh so that's how you take huge screenshots, hmmm.

Here's mine on Year 2 Fall 23. This made me realize really how lazy I am...haven't finished upgrade half the fences, and haven't patched up the missing pathways (or even finished them, for that matter)..didn't place all the lamp posts.. so I guess I have some fixing to do.. I didn't even notice there was a mushroom there, what the..
Damn, why did I take this screenshot?  :'(
PS: Beware of minor spoilers like repaired buildings, decoration, rarecrows, upgrades, and all that.

Spoiler: Harvest Moon Farm (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 03:21:09 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #712 on: March 04, 2016, 03:32:23 pm »

You are thinking you are being lazy? My farm is not even half of that.  :'( How did you take the huge screenshot? Manually and stiched in photoshop?

Anyone figured out the secret of making animals preggo?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 03:33:59 pm by Djohaal »
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: March 04, 2016, 03:49:55 pm »

I googled the software variablenonsense mentioned and ended up finding this very handy guide. You basically install it, change like 3 lines of configuration, and it allows you to play the game on huge resolutions while the software downsamples it to fit your screen.

The dev said he's gonna try to code and release the 1.05 update today with the scale/zoom feature, so maybe (depending on how much we'll be able to zoom out), it won't be necessary.

I still have no idea how to make animals pregnant, it seems to be just a rare random occurance that happens as long as you have space in your barn.
I don't really plan on having more animals (and going through the winter will cost me like 35k in hay already), so I guess I'll never see the miracle of digital pixelated animal birth.

EDIT: My god my typos are insane today
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: March 04, 2016, 04:03:49 pm »

Nice farms guys.

I wish I had planned mine out before I started building stuff, mine looks pretty haphazard. I think a big part of my grass problem is I didn't leave enough room for a big pasture where my animals are.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: March 04, 2016, 04:19:12 pm »

Oh! Sorry about not posting the guide, but yeah, it's really easy to use. You have to crop the big image afterwards but it takes a nice image of the farm!

I hope the zoom works well, I'd like to zoom out a bit, though I'm pretty comfortable playing how it is normally.

I need to figure out where to put my barn before I build any more ...

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: March 04, 2016, 04:24:52 pm »

Aside from less trees and grass, my farm is not much different from day one. I only recently built walls and a coop in early winter year 1.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 04:26:34 pm by BigD145 »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: March 04, 2016, 05:07:13 pm »

Wiles and BigD145 post your farms dammit. For some reason I spend a lot of time looking at large farm screenshots, it looks so good.  :P
A friend that's playing too said "Nice farm, all you have to do now is make it look good". I'd get mad if that wasn't true.

I wish I had planned mine out before I started building stuff, mine looks pretty haphazard. I think a big part of my grass problem is I didn't leave enough room for a big pasture where my animals are.

Haphazard makes interesting designs sometimes. I'm kinda glad I had to build around the buildings I placed in the wrong place, otherwise I'd just build it like I used to build in Sim City and Factorio..always rectangles..always grey..always boring. It takes me a load of effort to make something that looks less squary.

But can't you extend the pasture somehow by changing the layout? I was having a lot of trouble with grass until I made the 3 pastures (Coop, Stable, Barn..don't ask me why I had a pasture for the horse) into one. I also find it funny how in front of my barn there's usually a clearing on the grass. I keep replanting it, but the barn animals go through all the grass there in a few days, then they start heading towards the chickens..which is probably scary for the chickens.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: March 04, 2016, 05:41:09 pm »

I just hit lv 80 in the mines and ...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: March 04, 2016, 05:57:08 pm »

My Farm at the start of Year 2
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 91