Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 91

Author Topic: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC  (Read 441248 times)

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC
« Reply #690 on: March 04, 2016, 01:58:37 am »

You know, I find it really hard to play without feeling that I'm doing something wrong. That I'm spending too much time slowly doing something when I could be doing something much faster.
It's actually kind of ruining the game for me. Even though the game hasn't said so, it feels like I have to juggle all the 'professions' (farming, mining, fishing, etc.) or suffer in the long run. And doing that just isn't fun.

Am I wrong here? I heard something about a possible time limit, and the way you get occasional cutscenes hinting at an overarching story also makes me antsy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, I redact my statement about clay. Apparently I just misplaced a big pile of it into the wrong chest. Whoops.
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 04, 2016, 02:01:14 am »

You know, I find it really hard to play without feeling that I'm doing something wrong. That I'm spending too much time slowly doing something when I could be doing something much faster.
It's actually kind of ruining the game for me. Even though the game hasn't said so, it feels like I have to juggle all the 'professions' (farming, mining, fishing, etc.) or suffer in the long run. And doing that just isn't fun.

Am I wrong here? I heard something about a possible time limit, and the way you get occasional cutscenes hinting at an overarching story also makes me antsy.
Every game that you play has a time limit. Same with the choice to play a game at all, instead of reading a book or catching a fish or making love. The time limit becomes ever more obvious as we all inch closer to the cold spectre of death.

I guess just play the game once focusing on farming, try again to push the cave, try another that's a hand-to-mouth everyman with no need to max out anything. When presented with the opportunity to try out several lives, it makes sense to try them.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Trevasaurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 04, 2016, 02:02:49 am »

I know what you mean. Im so used to playing rts or arpgs that revolve around min/maxing that its hard to switch off that part of my brain but I am loving the slow pace of building my own farm. Ive been purposefully avoiding reading anything about the game and I am really enjoying the discovery process as I slowly unlock different parts of the farm or the explore new parts of the town. I recommend trying to turn off the parts of your brain that want to play this game the "right" way and just enjoy the journey. So far it has been a very pleasant experience.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 04, 2016, 02:10:21 am »

Generally speaking, if you want to completely "restore" the entire the town, taking up all of the professions is the most direct means of doing so. However, if you were to focus, for instance, solely on farming and make enough wealth doing so, you could get around most obstacles by simply buying the basic ingredients, resources, etc. necessary to progress.

Even certain exceptionally rare or style-exclusive items can be purchased from the gypsy at times, when she appears west of Marnie's house.

And yeah, the game goes on indefinitely, so there's no real rush. Play however you most enjoy, and ignore the elements that don't appeal to you. Designing and upgraded your farm alone is a pretty fun, full-bodied experience.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 04, 2016, 02:29:35 am »

spoiler question about the scoring thing

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 04, 2016, 02:36:12 am »

As far as I know we don't know much about great honors other than that restoring the community center is one and getting married is another.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 04, 2016, 02:44:10 am »

I'm like ~30 days away from discovering that..got all the skill maxed and still no rabbit foot to finish the community center, and I'm going to the gypsy store every single time.
After I did much gifting I started getting bored, so now I'll just see if I can get enough iridium, let the kids grow, but otherwise I'll just kill things until the time runs up. I don't feel like bringing everyone in town to 10 hearts or other goals like that, I've achieved all my personal goals except for the iridium tools which seem pretty 'hard' (cave generator hates me) to obtain.
Every other achievement I'm happy to obtain after the limit, but I'm curious to see the 'ending' first.  :P

E: Oh god, I got a Rabbits Foot! :D Finally, damn.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 03:02:32 am by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: March 04, 2016, 02:58:14 am »

FYI, folks, a great recipe for when you get your first kegs set up, is Crystal Fruit Wine- something like 650g a pop, and it's a fairly common winter forageable.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: March 04, 2016, 03:00:01 am »

So, I can't decide if I'm good at fishing, awful at slingshot, or if the two fair booths just have that different of a payout.

I got ... 14 tokens for playing the slingshot game.

I get 200-250~ per round of fishing.  :P
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: March 04, 2016, 03:04:59 am »

So, I can't decide if I'm good at fishing, awful at slingshot, or if the two fair booths just have that different of a payout.

I got ... 14 tokens for playing the slingshot game.

I get 200-250~ per round of fishing.  :P

I'd say you're a decent slinger. Never earned a single token. My brain, just doesn't cooperate with that mechanic.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: March 04, 2016, 03:13:50 am »

-end-game-fatigue-

Yeah I'm worryed about rushing through the game to fast as well, I really should supress my factorio/hardcore instincts for this one.

Since ya'll posting, my farm start of spring year 2:

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: March 04, 2016, 03:18:51 am »

So, has anyone else experimented with placing different items outside the farm? Tree taps and crab pots stick around for certain, but I'm wondering if décor works the same, and even lasts through the seasons- if so, Stardew has the same neat feature of Animal Crossing, in that you can effectively customize the entire town- place paths and fences, set a chair or two down by the pier...

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 04, 2016, 03:57:34 am »

You can slap honey/bee hives - which are stupid cost-effective anwhere.

The game checks if a npc walks along the path and if he/she does, destroys the object, otherwise it can stay there forever. You can add furnances near the blacksmith, bees on the way to the shop, chests around the map, a junk-recycler next to your fishing spot

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: March 04, 2016, 04:08:54 am »

-end-game-fatigue-

Yeah I'm worryed about rushing through the game to fast as well, I really should supress my factorio/hardcore instincts for this one.

Since ya'll posting, my farm start of spring year 2:

Hahaha, once you play Factorio that's it my friend. You're done.
I managed to supress it all the way to the first winter..then I did a bit of Factorio-like thinking and on Spring I was already getting good money even without focusing on high-profit crops.
But playing the game completely blind was a great experience. I have a bit of criticism for the end-game and certain details, but it's all good.

And my design is a bit similar to yours, I think. But I have a hard time doing things in an organic way, so things always end up in a lazy-functional way.
I used the planner tool to help me, though (and there's already an updated version of the planner).
I did it like this only because I already had the barn/coop/stable built, and I really didn't want to demolish them just to do a layout from scratch.  ::)
And it seems like tomorrow we may be getting a zoom feature, so screenshots will look even better.

Here's my take on the end-game (there's no actual spoilers, but I myself just like to read opinions, during blind playthroughs, after I already played through something):
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 04:11:51 am by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: March 04, 2016, 04:16:23 am »

FUCK WALLEYES!!!
Seriously, I couldn't have been in any better condition for them to be caught, BUT NOOOOOOoooOOOOOO!!!
Year 2, Come be nicer to me...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 07:45:48 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 91