Shipbuilding only
Smithing only
Mining and shipbuilding
Mining and smithing
Shipbuilding and smithing
All of the above
None of the above

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 45

Author Topic: Feudalism Rethought  (Read 40516 times)

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Feudalism Rethought
« Reply #570 on: October 22, 2012, 10:52:46 pm »

Plus this system is more accurate for the time period.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: October 22, 2012, 10:56:43 pm »

You may wanna up that to 100 gold marks per month at least.
1 gold mark will not get you anywhere.

I'd said a gold mark per person a month, so 100 in total.

Actually, looking at the relative costs of the coinage, we either have to make copper coins worth less or increase the cost of food per person, because 2 copper coins to the silver mark is a horrible exchange rate. The King must be adulterating the coinage or something.
Or the GM is making up the relative coin values as he goes along.
If we assume that mesor's values are reasonable, that means that a person needs the monetary equivalent of almost three units of steel to buy food for a year. And that peasants would probably have stacks of silver in their storerooms. Are gold and silver that common?

In any case, why not just metric the marks? 10/10/10/10?
Because that leads to horrible math if the pennies are a silver/copper alloy. I suppose our copper works just as well.

Newest coinage values:
1 aluminum denier = 10 gold crowns* = 100 silver marks = 1,000 copper pennies
Copper is turned into coinage at a rate of 1 unit->1,000 coins, everything else is 1->500.
The king buys a unit of gold or silver for 400 crowns or marks. Copper is bought at 750 pennies or 75 marks per unit. Only licensed smiths can mint royal coins, and only when allowed to make a certain amount. Individual fiefs may mint their own coinage, but don't expect the king or rival fiefs to accept it. Ideally, peasants' transactions would be measured in pennies, let me know of any factors which would force you to sell peasants' goods for several marks.
*A name I just thought of and will change back to marks if there are any objections, I just thought that different names for different levels of currency made sense.

Any changes in price per unit of metal or fuel? And what are new prices for food?

Ninja'd:
Which part, the part where a peasant needs silver to pay for bread?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: October 22, 2012, 10:59:32 pm »

I meant the system in general.
They did not use the metric system in this time period.
But gold and silver coins and that kind of thing was used in some places.

The metal will stay the same, weapons and armor were expensive in this period so I set the prices to match that.
Fuel I may have to lower though.

Although a gold mark for some basic food for a month is probably over the top.
But would it not be simpler to price food in units rather then in months?
Since 1 unit feeds 1 person for 1 year it would make things so much simpler.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 11:01:22 pm by mesor »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: October 22, 2012, 11:14:19 pm »

I thought the units were how many people could be fed by this much work, but I like your interpretation better.
The metricized coin values are for simplicity of bookkeeping.

So.

How much for one unit of food (one person for one year)?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: October 22, 2012, 11:16:44 pm »

Hah so I was looking at food wrong anyway.
But I just took that it needed 15000 units of food to feed my 15000 people to mean 1 unit fed 1 person per year.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: October 22, 2012, 11:23:25 pm »

'Sokay.

Let's have some prices!
Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: October 22, 2012, 11:27:34 pm »

I lowered my fuel to 5 silver per unit of fuel but my metal is staying expensive if it's being brought with money alone but I'll value other things myself rather then by set values.
Horses in particular are going to be worth a lot to my people.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: October 22, 2012, 11:35:58 pm »

If we assume that mesor's values are reasonable, that means that a person needs the monetary equivalent of almost three units of steel to buy food for a year. And that peasants would probably have stacks of silver in their storerooms. Are gold and silver that common?

No, but you're assuming that everybody is paid in cold, hard cash. In reality the farmers (ie the vast majority of the population) wouldn't need to purchase any food for themselves, and most labourers would receive food and board which would reduce their pay to a couple pennies a day.

Ninja'd:
Which part, the part where a peasant needs silver to pay for bread?

I've done the math, and it all works out. Historically your average person in the 1400s needs about 3~4 pennies a day to live on. That's about 90~120 pennies for a month (or a gold crown by your system) and 1095~1460 a year, or an aluminum denier and a half. You have to remember that the costs of items were much different in the Middle Ages. Food is much more expensive, but on the other hand goods are cheaper (though still not terribly affordable). If you're still worried, then increase the difference in coinage some more. A pound was worth 240 pennies, while our gold crowns are worth only 100.

How much for one unit of food (one person for one year)?

At least 10 gold crowns a unit. It's probably close to 15 though.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: October 22, 2012, 11:39:35 pm »

Well if you sold food at that price nobody but me can afford to buy it for more then a few hundred people.
Hell I have my own mine and I can't afford that price to cover the food I need to import and the smaller players will starve to death because no way could they afford that much money.

You may need to forget realistic prices because at this point it would bankrupt everybody.

If you look at Armok he needs 750 units of food on top of what he makes thats 11250 crowns at 15 crowns per unit.
I could not afford that in a year and I need far more then that.
Even 10 crowns would bankrupt anybody.

In this case we may need to look at whats affordable over whats realistic.

I've cut my metal prices way down to be more affordable.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 11:48:03 pm by mesor »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: October 22, 2012, 11:52:11 pm »

Well if you sold food at that price nobody but me can afford to buy it for more then a few hundred people.
Hell I have my own mine and I can't afford that price.

Well that's what the math turns out to be. At least thousand pennies to feed one person for a year. It doesn''t help that our currency is still pretty undervalued. An English pound would be worth 240 pennies, or currently about a fourth of an aluminium denier, which is supposed to be our super-coinage. As I've said before, the king must be adulterating the coinage.

Mind you, if you want to improve the value of the coinage while still keep the decimal neatness, then add in a silver penny between the silver mark and copper penny. That way a gold crown becomes worth as much as an aluminium denier is now, and everything makes more sense. And if you want to keep the names of the coins different, then change the copper penny to the copper farthing while you're at it. Sure, it doesn't make sense for a farthing to be worth a tenth of a penny, but at least the rest of the system is economically sounder.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: October 23, 2012, 12:01:28 am »

That would work but it still complicates things a bit more and it is a game it does not have to be entirely realistic.
It just needs a rough monetary system.
2-3 gold per unit would be enough in any case just to give a basic value for food since I doubt it'll be bought in coins half the time.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: October 23, 2012, 12:07:10 am »

That would work but it still complicates things a bit more and it is a game it does not have to be entirely realistic.

I don't see what's so complicated about adding another type of coin. We are basing this off of the metric system, so it's practically designed for this kind of thing.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: October 23, 2012, 12:08:58 am »

In theory but then you've got to make all the coins, keep track of it all, multiply the price up for more then one object.

It's generally easier to just lower the prices.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: October 23, 2012, 12:10:47 am »

Every turn is a month.
So if a unit of food was 1 per year, you'd need to buy them every 12 turns.

Which brings down the price considerably.

Yeah, if you just throw bronze, electrum or bullion coins in, it could help. or putting in wood/nickel or platinum coins.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: October 23, 2012, 12:11:55 am »

He calculated the price again based on it being a year.
It's the same price.

But I could not be bothered to keep track of all those different coins and prices for everything every turn it would take way longer then it's worth to do it.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 45