Shipbuilding only
Smithing only
Mining and shipbuilding
Mining and smithing
Shipbuilding and smithing
All of the above
None of the above

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 45

Author Topic: Feudalism Rethought  (Read 40514 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Feudalism Rethought
« Reply #555 on: October 22, 2012, 09:57:02 pm »

Hey, if you want a max of 30% that's fine. Coins are a convenient way to do trade. Oh, you need food and have wood but everyone who has food doesn't want wood? You can sell wood to the mining nations and buy food from the farming ones. The goal is to make this kind of thing easier.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: October 22, 2012, 09:59:48 pm »

Pieces of Eight? You are rather piratey, my friend...
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: October 22, 2012, 10:01:15 pm »

Thats pretty much gonna be my approach.
I have fuel which others will need for smithing and smelting unless they devote a lot of people to wood cutting.
I have iron and steel which not many others have.
I have gold and silver which not many others have.

But I lack horses , food , ships , magic and that kinda thing so they will be valuable to my people.
In addition to which I'd be willing to trade materials to hire men or to bank favors for future use or to make treaties with people.

I'll offer more then enough ways that everybody will be able to get materials they need from me fairly coins just won't be all that valuable to a people that has a gold and silver mine for obvious reasons.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: October 22, 2012, 10:04:57 pm »

Anyone else have price estimates on big exports?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: October 22, 2012, 10:17:04 pm »

How will this be handled though?
At the moment you have a stock of gold and silver from trading with me.
I have a stock from my mines.
And we have what 2 other people with access to any of this in mines?
So how will other people get the coin to buy anything?
You mentioned knights and mercenaries would receive some money from the king but that will still leave several players with no source of money besides from trading for it and how much will they receive from the king?
Without knowing it's hard to work out a reasonable price.

I really have no idea.
I doubt I'm actually going to use coins all that much I'll probably just stick to I have this to offer and you have this I want as much as I can.

But giving it a rough estimate from what a single unit can be used to make.

1 unit of iron would be something like 1.1 gold marks.
1 unit of steel would be worth something like 1.6 gold marks.
1 unit of fuel would be worth 5 silver marks.
Or I'll sell ready made weapons and armor but prices will vary case to case.

They are expensive for the obvious reason that they are materials for war and so I'm not going to sell them so cheaply that people can buy enough to upgrade whole armies equipment in a few years.
Plus it'll have to be worth it for me to sell it at all when I could use it to upgrade my own men.
3 units of iron is needed to make 2 units of steel so for obvious reasons it will cost more to buy the 3 units of iron then to just buy 2 unit of steel to prevent people just buying iron in bulk then forging steel themselves unless bought in bulk and that will only happen if something more then coins is offered that is valuable to me.

But this is assuming you can find some way to convince a nation with its own gold and silver mines to accept coins in payment.
( I will be role playing it so stories of woe could potentially influence my choice as could arrogance or over confidence. )

I will also be more then happy to lend gold or silver to other nations assuming you have some method of guaranteeing repayment in some form.
It does not have to be repaid in coins and I'd also be more then willing to pay in advance for certain materials or other objects of value that would then be deliver over time. Although I would of course not pay the full sum up front unless it is with a nation or group I know can be trusted from experience.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 11:47:42 pm by mesor »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: October 22, 2012, 10:19:36 pm »

Easiest way for me to figure it:

I'll pay more than standard for wood.
I'll pay less than standard for everything else.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: October 22, 2012, 10:20:40 pm »

Knightly orders would be paid a monthly sum for a certain number of men to be "on call." Mercenary groups would be paid by the job. Exact numbers need to wait for more prices to be made up.

Oh, and for the next good...agricultural and other food-producing fiefs, how much would you sell enough food to feed, oh, 100 people for a month for?
Sig

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: October 22, 2012, 10:25:30 pm »

Knightly orders would be paid a monthly sum for a certain number of men to be "on call." Mercenary groups would be paid by the job. Exact numbers need to wait for more prices to be made up.

Oh, and for the next good...agricultural and other food-producing fiefs, how much would you sell enough food to feed, oh, 100 people for a month for?

I'd say... a gold mark a person a month? I can't remember the exact numbers off of the top of my head (it's been a while), but just remember that food is expensive and labour is cheap.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: October 22, 2012, 10:26:45 pm »

You may wanna up that to 100 gold marks per month at least.
1 gold mark will not get you anywhere.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: October 22, 2012, 10:26:55 pm »

Double what my own citizens pay for it?
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: October 22, 2012, 10:28:48 pm »

Well on that note my people will likely pay above the asking price for food when I need it to foster a good relationship between my nation and those providing me the food I need.
In money, metals or wood or if it a large enough quantity maybe even assistance with battles or some other diplomatic issues.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: October 22, 2012, 10:31:05 pm »

You may wanna up that to 100 gold marks per month at least.
1 gold mark will not get you anywhere.

I'd said a gold mark per person a month, so 100 in total.

Actually, looking at the relative costs of the coinage, we either have to make copper coins worth less or increase the cost of food per person, because 2 copper coins to the silver mark is a horrible exchange rate. The King must be adulterating the coinage or something.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: October 22, 2012, 10:31:17 pm »

I'm a bit iffy about paying mesor to maintain a standing army which is double the size of my population...
Or feeding them, anyway, regardless of allegiances.

In any case, why not just metric the marks? 10/10/10/10?

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: October 22, 2012, 10:42:00 pm »

Sorry missed the per person bit.

Who's paying me to maintain it?
I can maintain it now if needs be I can swap men around to up my food production to become self sufficient I just decided to leave it lower so I'd have to trade for food.
And my standing army is the largest in the entire game anyway but I'll be obeying the king so unless you piss off him or me your safe.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: October 22, 2012, 10:46:13 pm »

In any case, why not just metric the marks? 10/10/10/10?

Because this is the Middle Ages, and that would make too much sense.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 45