Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do you play DF at work?  (Read 2212 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do you play DF at work?
« on: September 26, 2012, 08:54:31 am »

Considering how most people couldn't recognize DF for being a game, do you guys ever openly/semi-openly play DF while at work?

I work in QA at a software company, but even though most people here still won't recognize DF as a game I can't find the guts to play it, even when there's nothing to do and I'm just wasting time on the internet.
Feeling down? Click Here!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Do you play DF at work?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 09:08:32 am »

I could probably get away with it, but I haven't taken the risk yet.  I screw around on the internet enough that I could have built some pretty impressive forts by now, but I'm not willing to risk my luck by actively playing a game.  :)

Work has been pretty slow for me lately though...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 09:13:31 am »

Considering my work is at home, yes, yes i do play it at work. :P
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 09:16:33 am »

I play in class, but then again I also have headphones on in class half the time too.  Stupid gosh darn class...
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 09:18:38 am »

I used to play it a lot at my last job, and it turned out there were a couple of other dwarves there (although they weren't bay12 members at the time) but then it was a games studio.
I dare say I could play it here but I really need to put a few hours aside to get back into the game as it's been through a number of updates in the last year that I need to catch up on, and I don't get that kind of time here.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 09:29:53 am »

No, but I Forumise extensively, in-between all other tasks and distractions I have.

My colleagues would recognise DF (because they've seen it played[1], not because they're players themselves), and like to try to annoy/taunt me with calls of "Killed any Dwarves, lately?" (regardless of what's on my various screens), knowing full well that this isn't what I do.

They also tend to shout out "Boss Key!  Boss Key!" when I'm Alt-Tabbing between Windows.   Yeah, they know better than that. (I'm not saying I don't have a Boss Key set up, but really an Alt-Tab is overwhelmingly just an Alt-Tab[2], and they know it.)

[1] I've used DF Worldgenning, as well as other things, to stress-test machines (not so much as an actual stress-testing program, but it's an effective-enough thing for the purposes I put it to, and one from which I've gotten some playable customised world-saves for home afterwards) and occasionally tried to introduce others to the game during slack time, but without any success.

[2] Which, into OpenOffice especially, annoyingly tends to kick-start the auto-save, meaning I have to wait several seconds before I can add the data into the document that I've just Alt-Tabbed into to add.  Grrrr.[/bugbear]

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 10:13:55 am »

I wish. But I know that if I really could do it, I wouldn't work at all! LOL
It was hard enough to work when everything was allowed. At first, I used to irc and forum-play a little. Now IT are stalking me and they even blocked b12 forums along with obvious blocks, like youtube and facebook and most game-related websites as of now (I think they unblock it all for the breaks). I've downloaded it and read a bit of legends but I could't actually play it. But then, my work involves a lot of people and they watch my screen all the time (probably the reason why b12 forums just got blocked) so I won't screw with it. >:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 10:17:20 am by Wellincolin »
"The WereAss collides with The Ostrich Cock!
The Ostrich Cock is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Ostrich Cock is no longer stunned.
The Ostrich Cock stands up."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 10:58:29 am »

Playing it right now! :P 8)
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 07:45:39 pm »

I used to take my laptop in to work and play it when I got an hour for lunch, now I have a different job and I dont get so long for lunch anymore :(

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 03:35:43 pm »

I play it in school sometimes. Most teachers don't recognize it as a game. Most teachers at my school don't even care, because all my friends play minecraft during class.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 03:52:32 pm »

Nah. I don't have a job that allows downloading and all that stuff, or bringing in personal computers/laptops/anything like that, to work.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 04:17:35 pm »

I'm a pastry cook. If my boss sees my in front of a computer instead of baking, he will know I'm not working :p

I had office jobs before. I never played on the computer there though.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 04:48:19 pm »

Does school count is work if so... every day Iam on a computer, which on average is every other day. I also play minecraft.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 04:52:57 pm by Sprin »
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 10:00:36 am »

I'll spin up a huge world with very long history on my netbook while I'm at work.
It takes about 8 hours, and doesn't need to be monitored, so its perfect.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 11:32:15 am »

Why bother going to work or class if you're going to play DF?
Pages: [1] 2