Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 107

Author Topic: Prison Architect - Version 2.0 Release | It's over! *weeping*  (Read 244515 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Prison HYPHEN Architect
« Reply #285 on: October 01, 2012, 09:30:17 am »

I think later you'll have plenty to do with your existing prisoners, what with gang dynamics and all, you won't want for overcrowding, you'll be busy enough dealing with shivs and drug lords already in place.
And also shived drug lords and drug lords with shivs?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #286 on: October 01, 2012, 09:30:41 am »

So I hope all those save file configuration options get put up front when we start a sandbox game.
What savegame customizations are these now? I'd quite like if I could slow down the prisoner input a bit until I get a handle on the game.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 01, 2012, 09:52:10 am »

So I hope all those save file configuration options get put up front when we start a sandbox game.
What savegame customizations are these now? I'd quite like if I could slow down the prisoner input a bit until I get a handle on the game.

There are settings eerily similar to the DF.ini, right at the top of your Prison Architect save file. You can disable prisoner intake entirely, turn off flooding, fire, turn off water and power requirements, and one or two other things as well.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #288 on: October 01, 2012, 09:55:50 am »

Can you, say, turn off prisoner intake and run the game for a few days and then turn it on? Given 3 days to prepare I'd be on much better footing.

Or can you turn off prisoner intake after you've already gotten some prisoners?

The scramble is fun, but I need to learn and experiment.

beefy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 01, 2012, 10:12:18 am »

I just played the intro mission. Just... wow. I liked it. Good way to get the players interested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 01, 2012, 10:23:44 am »

Can you, say, turn off prisoner intake and run the game for a few days and then turn it on? Given 3 days to prepare I'd be on much better footing.

Both work. When you turn it off it seems to simply nuke the "X hours until prisoners arrive" task.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #291 on: October 01, 2012, 10:32:20 am »

Both work. When you turn it off it seems to simply nuke the "X hours until prisoners arrive" task.
And turning it back on restores the task? Excellent.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 01, 2012, 02:31:03 pm »

Apparently, you can build a large pipe and then build walls, but you cannot build a wall and then pipes.  I think this is a bug?

The pipe thing is NOT a bug...but the developers said they might change it.

The reasoning being that a main water line is a very large and intrusive thing. Walls are built on foundations. Its not being able to make a main pipe though a foundation. Not a bug.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #293 on: October 01, 2012, 02:42:04 pm »

Apparently, you can build a large pipe and then build walls, but you cannot build a wall and then pipes.  I think this is a bug?

The reasoning being that a main water line is a very large and intrusive thing. Walls are built on foundations. Its not being able to make a main pipe though a foundation. Not a bug.
So you can't build a pipe through a wall but you can build a wall around a pipe? Seems a bit strange. Either way you can just put a small pipe in the wall which works fine

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 01, 2012, 02:46:15 pm »

So you can't build a pipe through a wall but you can build a wall around a pipe? Seems a bit strange. Either way you can just put a small pipe in the wall which works fine
It's a bit hard to drill a perfectly pipe shaped hole in the foundation, but it's much easier to let concrete flow around a pipe. Also, making a pipe go under a wall would require digging a pit on both sides, and then shoving the pipe through, which is a bit hard.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 01, 2012, 02:56:09 pm »

Well, real-world physics aside, it seems to slow down gameplay and make things more annoying.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #296 on: October 01, 2012, 03:05:56 pm »

It's a bit hard to drill a perfectly pipe shaped hole in the foundation, but it's much easier to let concrete flow around a pipe. Also, making a pipe go under a wall would require digging a pit on both sides, and then shoving the pipe through, which is a bit hard.
This argument still strikes me as nonsensical since you can do the very same thing with a massive power line, running it 'under' an existing foundation which is in fact just as hard as running a water line.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #297 on: October 01, 2012, 03:08:51 pm »

Pipes are much more difficult to run through a wall than cables are. Cables typically stay the same diameter along their whole length.
It still seems a bit silly to have this represented in game though.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 01, 2012, 03:41:46 pm »

You know what even sillier? Watching a friend cover an entire map in electrical cables to because he'd edited the money to be able to do so.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 01, 2012, 03:46:26 pm »

It's a PITA because it essentially asks you to lay piping prior to the foundation. Which, if you're like me, you need the foundation blue print first to even have an idea HOW you want to build.

That said, you can destroy the wall the pipe needs to go through and build back over it, and it seems to be just fine. It doesn't seem to upset the building foundation at all. Really, foundations seem to just be a short hand way to do stuff that you can already do by hand. (Put down flooring, build walls, add lights.)
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 107