Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 107

Author Topic: Prison Architect - Version 2.0 Release | It's over! *weeping*  (Read 244996 times)

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prison HYPHEN Architect (v. a9) - Now with 50% more laundry
« Reply #615 on: April 25, 2013, 10:47:01 pm »

They also developped a game for 3 years before abandoning it.
They could have released an alpha and still earned a half million off it.
Honestly, if more developers could man up and say, "This just isn't fun" and not sell it after three years, we'd have fewer Duke Nukem Forevers and more Prison Architects.

Weren't they going to reuse some of the code from that to make another game? I remember that being mentioned at some point.

DNF was an entertaining game, but no game could ever live up to 10 years of hype - period. Was it earth shattering? No. Was it entertaining compared to the latest Call of Modern Battlefield Bad Mercenaries 2 Ops Recon released at the time? Hell yes.

Anyway, I'm going to shaddup now until next release.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: April 25, 2013, 11:29:52 pm »

Call me crazy but the more it goes the more i see some *introversion* in this game, schedule, task, personality, while working on this title they are indeed learning new stuff they would be able to apply in introversion. Basicly the more i see this game the more im hungry for introversion... one day it will come and i am glad to see this game flourish too :)
Quoting myself since it answer some of the question about the other 3 year game wich was called introversion, and yes it was abandoned because the scope of the game was a too big challenge for their competence, bare with me im not saying this in a negative way because introversion freedom, design and goal was very very big. Think of it as a DF scope project ( i mean think of DF once complete not the current state, see how big the scope was? ). Toady learn and work small steps by small step and keep working on it, but let's be honest toady has a steady-ish income that allow him to focus all his time to DF while they dont have the same chance and knowledge. Hell toady is one of a kind and my *personal indie hero devloper*.

In fact, they did not abandoned it per say, they shelved the project and went on prison architect to implement and work on system on a smaller scale and learn how to do it properly and once the game completed on all point/fixes and done patching they would go back to introversion.

Ive been following introversion since the very first annoncement and thats why i say im seeing some of the mecanics they wanted in introversion at work in prison architect. Without going into the design of Introversion i can say they are nailing it properly and may only need some tweaks for a proper balance/optimisation in the end but the core of what *they wasnt sure how to implement systems* start to appear here in this very game and im happy to see that.

Edit:
They also developped a game for 3 years before abandoning it.
They could have released an alpha and still earned a half million off it.

In fact introversion was not even close to be considered alpha, the only real *play testing* was a single scripted level with no meta-game, tech-demo would be the right word, i could link you a video of it if you want. There is also a few tech demo of multiple system waiting implementation in the game such as procedural city generation and procedural office generation.

City gen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J30i0gABfS8

Office gen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUwHRc2zpbo
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 11:34:07 pm by jocan2003 »
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 25, 2013, 11:32:02 pm »

Introversion is the name of the studio actually. The game was Subversion  ;D

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 25, 2013, 11:35:04 pm »

Yeah you are right... i ALWAYS mix both of them... you knowi its a syndrome when you always mix up the same word i dont know how its called... but well i have it, while typing most of the time i end up finding it just before postiing but this one... ALWAYS ALWAYS slip under my radar....

Edit: Link for the *tactical* tech demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV97E8Byeoc

Now i should have given all main tech demo of all main game system generation.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 11:39:55 pm by jocan2003 »
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: April 25, 2013, 11:39:25 pm »

[A two man team (Maybe 3 now.....)

There's at least four of them, I think. Chris and Mark are the main introversion guys, and they've got someone doing art and someone doing sound for Prison-Architect. Of course there could be more, I'm not sure how accurate this page is.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: April 26, 2013, 12:03:12 am »

Also, this is the first time they've had a big public paid alpha.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: May 10, 2013, 08:16:48 pm »

Question: I have prison labor researched, but I'm not sure how to get the lazy bums to become groundskeepers and janitors. Help?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 10, 2013, 08:38:09 pm »

Question: I have prison labor researched, but I'm not sure how to get the lazy bums to become groundskeepers and janitors. Help?
Janitors: Make a cleaning supplies closet.
Groundskeepers: I have no idea not sure if possible.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #623 on: May 10, 2013, 08:47:09 pm »

Janitor closets are a bit buggy right now. Sometimes they work, sometimes they have to be exactly 5x5 with walls all the way around.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: May 10, 2013, 10:36:37 pm »

Yeah the whole version seems a bit too buggy for my tastes. Laundry is terribly time consuming and ridiculously difficult to get running (Foreman-prison labour isn't enough, you need the warden track thing for assigning zones), meaning potential prison riots just because of dirty clothes preventing laundry from getting running if you don't act fast enough. Should be able to hire janitors to do laundry, honestly. On the other hand making license plates is a bit ridiculously profitable.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #625 on: May 11, 2013, 08:35:40 am »

Stupid alpha games being all buggy. :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 30, 2013, 07:28:32 pm »

Wow, Alpha 10. Shit just got real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AvyvTYhB-E

First, off the top:

-Full Steam Workshop integration for sharing maps.
-Linux Build.

And now the real meat of it...

-Prisons now have a "temperature" based on how prisoners are being treated. The more mistreatment/lack of meeting needs, the higher it goes. Prisoners have a threshold where, if the temperature gets too high, they'll start acting violently. This, in turn, increases the temperature of nearby prisoners. If the temperature of your whole prison is high enough, it becomes self-sustaining, growing and growing out of control until you get a riot.

-While riots were already partially implemented, now they're chalk full of polish. Once a riot kicks off the music changes and you're in "riot mode." Areas that are under attack by prisoners start slowly turning red until they're captured, at which point the fog of war kicks in. The prisoners will then begin flowing out into the rest of the prison, trying to capture more sectors, killing guards and taking their keys and weapons, ect....

-To deal with this, you call in the Riot Squad. They'll deploy and start working their way through the prison, kicking ass and restoring order. They've got a fancy new UI panel on the right to help you manage them as squads (paramedics too.)

-There is a new part of the UI on the top bar that to help manages all this. It tells you, in general terms, what the temperature (danger level) of your prison is, and gives you a snap shot of the factors affecting it. (Like how many prisoners generally feel they've been treated well, how many don't feel their needs are being met, how many are being subjected to arbitrary punishment like bang ups.) This part of the UI is granted by having a Security Chief.

-This doesn't mean all prisons are destined for riots though. Now, when you punish a prisoner for something, it has the opposite effect of mistreatment on the prison's temperature level. It cools your prison down as the "deterrents" raise a prisoner's threshold for lashing out. So in effect, you can run your prison with an iron fist, punishing prisoners immediately for their misbehavior and cowing them. Eventually, by running the tightest, most disciplinary prison with the most guards, you can effectively ignore prisoner needs and they won't riot for fear of punishment.

-So this means you can basically mold your prison into 3 different types: a nice prison where needs are met and everyone is generally willing to do their time without trouble. A gulag where prisoners get nothing and their will to act out is completely broken. Or a medium prison where things can swing out of control and turn into a riot.

-And a crapload of believable, angry sound effects to compliment all this.

I think this is the update that really impressed me the most, not just because core systems are finally getting all their polish but also because it's starting to drill down into the kind of mechanics and living systems that Introversion does so well.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 07:38:14 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 30, 2013, 07:32:24 pm »

Don't forget they mentioned near the end that you lose sight of the temperature display if the Chief of Security is either killed or not hired.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 30, 2013, 07:38:32 pm »

Just caught that :P Wow, so epic. Half the administrative staff murdered during a riot. That almost reaches DF-levels of story generation.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 07:40:12 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 30, 2013, 09:04:19 pm »

Just caught that :P Wow, so epic. Half the administrative staff murdered during a riot. That almost reaches DF-levels of story generation.

And the psychologist survived...
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 107