Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Local Politics Thread  (Read 4017 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Local Politics Thread
« on: September 22, 2012, 04:04:49 pm »

Sometimes, local politics can be a lot more interesting than national politics because of the potential for normally marginalized groups to be a meaningful force, so I figured I'd start a thread to compile the madness of it all.

Boone, North Carolina: The big fight right now is whether or not to keep on-campus voting at Appalachian State University, which will apparently hinge upon the County Commissioner's election. The Campus Democrats have put up signs everywhere deriding the GOP candidate as a student-hating Nazi who not only thinks that students should not be allowed to vote on campus, but that college students shouldn't be allowed to vote at all! I don't know if there's any truth to that, but there you go. The Campus Republicans, on the other hand, have spent all their time chalk graffiti-ing the entire campus with Romney/Ryan slogans, which last for an average of 45 minutes before being defaced by other students.

The Campus Democrats also give out free pancakes at their events and the Campus Republicans don't, so we can clearly see who knows their demographic better here.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Local Politics Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 04:10:42 pm »

Are you serious, or just trying to be funny? If the former, then that is just epic.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 04:11:56 pm »

Anyone who bribes me with pancakes gets my vote.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 04:25:32 pm »

And here I was settling for bacon. I wish I had known this sooner.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 04:25:52 pm »

Bribing college students with food is honestly fairly effective. S'pretty common, too~

Anyway, don't have anything to add to things where I'm at. Most of the people running are at least managing to keep the alcoholism, narcotic peddling, or pedophilia out of public knowledge this time! At least that I've noticed in passing (which is a bit, since I'm currently housing with one of the town's former mayors but whatev'), in any case. S'pretty quiet this cycle. I think the illiterate dude's still on town council, but that's about the most unusual thing going on that I can remember at the moment.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 04:37:43 pm »

Are you serious, or just trying to be funny? If the former, then that is just epic.
Of course I'm serious. Why would I start a thread and tell a fake story?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 04:39:06 pm »

Where I come from our biggest problem is that everyone is fucking retarded.

GM is closing down? Let's not let any other factories be built. We don't need jobs!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 04:57:52 pm »

Ah, an Earthling, I see.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 04:59:38 pm »

Ah, an Earthling, I see.
Tell me more of this strange land.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 07:03:16 pm »

Woah, you're campus Dems and Repubs write stuff on the ground.  Here they just kind of keep to themselves and hold joint debates with civility as a major focus in them.

Perhaps I could do a short post of how things are going in my State Senate/House district (where I'm registered, not the campus), but probably not tonight.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 07:05:28 pm »

Well, down where I am everybody has "Elect whatshisface, a true republican for coroner!"

Why. Should. That. Even. Matter.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 07:08:31 pm »

Isn't the coroner a non-partisan office?  I thought most local level elections were officially non-partisan.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 07:09:47 pm »

Isn't the coroner a non-partisan office?  I thought most local level elections were officially non-partisan.
Officially, probably. However, I live in an insane town, so you never know.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 07:14:20 pm »

For local elections, I basically just vote for the incumbent, regardless of political affiliation unless they've really done some dodgy shit during their reign.

For Sherrif, I always vote for any candidate that is a lawyer, never a candidate that is/was a cop. Lawyers and cops hate each other while cops will be endless advocates for other cops. A lawyer in charge of the cops is ideal.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 08:44:56 pm »

I actually always thought coroner was a non-elected position that you had to get through, y'know, qualifications and the respect of your peers in the field.

This is a kinda scary revelation.
I'm Mr. Cellophane
Pages: [1] 2 3 4