Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Local Politics Thread  (Read 4006 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Local Politics Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2012, 04:25:20 pm »

Wales, UK

So, it turns out that the current Conservative UK government had a hand in the Summer GCSE results. There are nationwide political overtones and complications here, but basically the grade boundaries were moved half way through the 2 year teaching period for the English GCSE, with no-one other than the exam boards being party to this knowledge. The end result of this was record low results, where pupils who were under the impression they were at a C grade or above being dropped below to a D or worse. Unsuprisingly when this "invisible moving of the goalposts" came out people were pissed. In England, the goverment body responsible for education refused to back down. In Wales, education is a devolved issue, and our education minister (Labour, hence the political overtones) ordered a re-grade, not happy that decisions made by someone in a different country and part of a different political party affected performance in Wales. This means that pupils in Wales have had thier course graded in the original manner, scoring better marks for the same work in a key qualification compared to school pupils over the border. Parties on both sides (Welsh Assembly, Labour Majority vs. Conservative Govt in Westminster) are already slinging mud at each other and squaring up for a fight over national ideals and political affiliation. This is a big deal as its the first real time the Welsh Assembly has taken a direction that has brought it into open and direct conflict with Westminster. It probably wont be the last.

The sad thing is it's made these results look equally questionable for students in Wales and the rest of the UK. Does a good job of making GCSEs look like they need replacing too.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2012, 05:04:01 pm »

Well, down where I am everybody has "Elect whatshisface, a true republican for coroner!"

Why. Should. That. Even. Matter.
You never know when someone might want to get same-sex embalmed.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2012, 05:38:19 pm »

Local Politics, US-style, always confuses me.  The whole Welsh Assembly thing is probably on the lines of State Politics, when put upon a relative scale.  (Wales, being pretty much a standard measure here for any large area of land within an order of magnitude or two, and not described in terms of "How many Belgiums", seems to be just a tad smaller than New Jersey, and virtually the same population as Iowa.  Belgium would be somewhere between Maryland and Hawaii for area, Ohio for the population, it looks like.)

"Local Politics", for me, would be either regarding the exact identity of the local Member Of Parliament for the place that I live, or the three Councillors (usually just one of them, in turn, elected and requiring re-election/replacement in each iteration of electoral cycle) who represent me on the local Council.  No Sheriffs, Coroners, etc.  I don't think I should be electing a law official (having a virtually arbitrary person chosen from (part of) the elected House shuffled into head the appropriate Ministry in the Government is bad enough).  I'm not too fond of Mayors being elected.  (We've already got a council, and a leader within that council for whatever jobs need a figurehead, rather than a committee with at least some actual experts in the issues they're they're to "comit" to.)

And what interest do I pay to these people, and what interest do these people pay to me?  Well, I live in a fairly definite 'safe' seat for a given party, and the current incumbent has been there (give or take boundary changes, in which he 'absorbed' someone else's seat area as well) for a while now.  And, to be honest, I like him well enough to not mind this, although obviously those with a yen for a different party in (local) power are going to be upset (but then, by definition, they appear to be in a minority, at least when counting those who wish to actually vote one way or another).

The councillors, OTOH, I really cannot identify with them.  I know there's three of them, for the area this triumvirate has been voted in from, and I know that theoretically they could be of all different parties (though I suspect that they're either 3/3rds one party or 2/3rds one and 1/3rd the other, if there was a blip in fortunes or a particularly wise/unwise choice as to who was placed up there to contest a certain seat), but I've got absolutely no idea who they are, as you can probably already tell.

I tend to suffer from "my vote doesn't make a difference"-itis, in this regard.  Which I know is both accurate (my single vote is, of course, not the balance between one vote outcome and another) and also possibly also an attitude that may upset things (if they can persuade me to vote differently (or, depending on my apathy on the day, at all), then circumstances are possibly going to persuade a lot of others to do so.  And so things may change.

Also, whether I've been out when they called, or not, I've never had any representatives of potential electees (parliamentary or council) come to my door.  Loads of leaflets.  But leaflets are cheap.  (If an environmental menace, if left unchecked.)  I think everyone seems to recognise that I (or at least the kind of people who live in my kind of street in my kind of area) aren't really worth bothering for those extra few votes.  They probably have better fish to fry and better targets to shoot for.

Oh dear, I appear to have straye from the originally intended drift of my response, and I've just realised how late at night it is.  Let me post this as a place-holder (a PTW, perhaps) and then perhaps I'll try to reacquire my original purpose to reply in the morning.  I can't say that the above is not relevant, but it seems not to have developed, during the concoction of the prose involved, into the precision targetted post that I had thought I would be fashioning while putting my thoughts down on this 'ere bit of virtual paper wot I see in front of my eyes.  Cor, love a duck, guvnor.  In the meantime, it's open to comments, any of it that you find worthy of commenting to, so long as I'm not inadvertently aiding and abetting in the derailing of anything.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2012, 06:55:09 pm »

In other news Dalton McGuinty and the Teacher's Unions have fallen out, which is quite surprising because traditionally McGuinty and the unions engaged in ritual fellatio with each other, helping give him two majority governments in a row.

I'd guess he did the traditional Liberal thing of undercutting his rivals by snatching their views from right under them.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2012, 08:56:50 pm »

-local politics and the UK snip-
I know what you mean. Maybe the UK, or more specifically England, is too small and those in power locally too low in power for us to have US style local politics. It's not like law differs between constituencies. Besides what you've mentioned it only really concerns new building projects and similar. A lot of it ends up national politics.

It does annoy me that people around where I live pay little attention to the actions of the local MP. A Liberal Democrat is in at the moment and has been doing a much better job than previous MPs. Every time I hear of someone going to him with a problem he gets right on it.

6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2012, 11:02:47 am »

I actually always thought coroner was a non-elected position that you had to get through, y'know, qualifications and the respect of your peers in the field.

What really gets me is how we elect Judges. I realize this is probably pretty common practice in the US, but it's difficult to make a meaningful distinction between two candidates when all you know is their name and face that've been plastered on billboards all over town.

That's actually more understandable. Judge decisions should be public record, so if you actually WANTED to go through the hours and hours of research to find out a specific judge's record and tendency on certain issues, you could. Although this only applies to people who have been judges in the past. People running for the first time have basically no record to go by, but I suppose that's true of every political candidate.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2012, 11:26:01 am »

Over here (Belgium), my dad presented himself on the Green party list. My town is solidly liberal in the European sense (So economically conservative, socially liberal), so they don't really have any hope. Although the Green party has been snatching a few ectras percent of the votes every year, they are again not going to win enough seat on the city council to prevent the current mayor from retaining an absolute majority.

Also, I know have been two drunk to campaign for my dad twice in a row, and I'm starting to feel guilty about this.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2012, 01:48:10 pm »

Also, I know have been two drunk to campaign for my dad twice in a row, and I'm starting to feel guilty about this.

I might have to move to Belgium.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2012, 01:06:26 pm »

Rise from Your Grave!
I said I'd do a local politics thing awhile ago so here it is:
The state senate district where I'm registered in (and live 6 months or so out of the year):
Minnesota State Senate District 25, a mix of suburban NW and NE Rochester, rural farms, and small towns.  The urban section of Rochester is in District 26.
The incumbent Senator is David Senjem (Republican) who has represented the area since 2002 and has cruised to re-election based on moderate credentials and personal popularity each of the previous elections.
The challenger is Olmsted County Commissioner Judy Ohly (Democratic) who represented the same areas of the county of Olmsted and city of Rochester as Senjem did.

This race wouldn't have been close if the MN GOP had been the least bit competent in the previous legislative session.  Having a sex scandal depose the original Senate Majority Leader (Amy Koch, from the Twin Cities suburbs) and then passing a shitload of bills relating to social issues (many of which were vetoed by the only-sane-man in St. Paul, the Democratic Governor, Mark Dayton) and passing a bonding bill that was way smaller than many cities and chambers of commerce were hoping.

The bonding bill that was passed is one of the key issues because the city of Rochester wanted a new convention center, and that had the backing of the business community as well.  Senjem currently is the Senate Majority Leader, and could have included a convention center in the bonding bill if he wanted to, or so it is thought, and that he bowed to the wishes of the far right wing of the party.  Although I don't put much stock in endorsements, they do show the mood of people when they flip, the city's paper, the Post-Bulletin, endorsed Ohly, which took me by surprise considering the paper's relative rightward lean.

When I'm in the district, I've noticed far more DFL funded adds and signs then I have in the past, they are really putting money into the race, as well.

*Note: I'll use DFL, Democratic, and Democratic-Farmer-Labor to refer to the exact same party; it's a local thing.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2012, 07:46:07 am »

Dalton McGuinty is resigning. He's the guy I talked about earlier refusing to preform ritual fellatio on the teacher's unions. Should be interesting times in Ontario soon.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2012, 05:00:39 am »

Revive, thread !

In France, the right-wing party (called UMP) squabbled and a little group seceded from the main party. They are calling themselves "Rassemblement UMP". Aka RUMP. I find this very amusing.

And for more serious news, Paris extended the orange light rail line, adding twenty stations or so. Dijon added a second light rail line too. And many cities are slowly but surely building light rail lines and extensions - there is a general love for light rail ("tramway") these days. It's very interesting. I have mixed feelings about it, because if it's a good thing to have cheap and efficient public transportation like that, french cities in the 1950s already had light rail (some of them fifty years old) but decided to get rid of them for some reason. I don't want to see the new lines disappear in fifty years.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2012, 05:55:42 am »

Belgium, Ninoven.

The day before the local elections (for mayor and the likes), one of the candidates said on his facebook that he would give everybody who voted for him a beer. He won.

Cue somebody charging him, and now the elections are invalid.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 06:14:44 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2012, 06:00:17 am »

What? I didn't heard of that. Where was it? :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2012, 06:14:17 am »

Here's a link. Scroll down a bit.
Turns out i got the name wrong tough.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2012, 09:37:10 am »

So, um. Did he actually buy everyone that voted for him a beer? Invalid election or not, if he didn't have a victory rider on that statement he owes a good chunk of people some poison.

Is he even allowed to check who voted for him? Innit that supposed to be, like, confidential? Would that mean he just has to set up like a massive keg at city hall or something and have a BYOM (bring your own mug) event?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4