Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Arena IV: Less curses, more fun!  (Read 9322 times)

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arena IV: Less curses, more fun!
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2012, 04:43:03 pm »

I finished! I'm ready to fight, I hope, coming to a total cost of 600 for two gladiators.
5 END is free. Allocate 4 more for Nikolai and 5 for your mage.

And Ishtar, INT is worth it (but only barely) as it will be needed for enchanted aemor and enchanted weapons.
And a word of advice, while a hydraleather armor is great for protecting your torso, it won't defebd your legs. It's hard to dodge on wounded legs.
About fighting other gladiators, I'm working on that.
Gaining stats in the arena is possible, yet unlikely. (Hint: Special events)
Also, Tsuchimo, what race are Nikolai and his (girl)friend the mage?
Edit: Small typo.
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2012, 05:11:02 pm »

And a word of advice, while a hydraleather armor is great for protecting your torso, it won't defebd your legs. It's hard to dodge on wounded legs.

Yeah I know, that would be the next piece of equipment I intend to buy, but I figured torso protection is more important. I'm also confident in the 10 agility, which is 14 because of the hydra leather. That should be enough to keep me alive until one of those two-handed blows with a strength of 10 finally connects and does some real damage.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2012, 08:30:16 pm »

Done. I'm wondering, can a mage attempt to enchant armor or weapons at some point via learning a certain amount of skills/levels in skills, spending gold on classes (which are higher priced but allow better and better degrees of enchantments), or assisting the enchanter? I can see this becoming a mostly "chance for extra element hit" system through a gladiator mage, and would have a higher failure/lower gain while costing less money.

For balance, Warriors could forge weapons much the same way (by gold-consuming classes or guiding the forger) and get enchantment-like benifits, and Rangers could make their own ammunition, use the forge, or otherwise to get the same as the other two.

Furthermore, events where an item is won could be a very fun affair- a detailed, highly enchanted weapon of the highest quality adorned with decorations. Metals that aren't commonly used (that have the exact same stats as other metals for ease of use, ha). I'd gladly throw out suggestions for anything, and possibly even having unique weapons or magic rings.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2012, 02:49:14 am »

-Battle summary-
5/22 Bok
7 W
Does that mean Bok has 5/22 experience till he gains a level?
What does 7 W mean?

Anyways, I would like to spend my 100 winnings on getting +1 firebolt for Tok.
This is his updated char sheet (You may note his backstory isn't done yet, I will finish it up today, school was just a bit busy this week).
Spoiler: Tok (click to show/hide)

For my next fight I would like to fight a Lion.
Tactics: No real strategy, Bok will engage the lion while Tok uses spells from range
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2012, 03:29:56 am »

Nikolai VS Dire Wolf!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nikolai was heavily wounded. He needs to rest or start the next battle at half health. Your choice here.

Tsuchigumo, you've gained 50 gold from the Dire Wolf and 75 from the wolves. (You've killed them with a crit, which usually means bonus gold.)

You gain 200 gold, but again, rest one fight or start the next with half HP.

By the way, Ishtar, do you have any freaking clue how lucky you were? I rolled THREE NAT 20's on your dodges and TWO NAT 20's on your attacks... Holy hell, if it wasn't for that, you'd have died.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 03:57:52 am by tomio175 »
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2012, 03:30:47 am »

-Battle summary-
5/22 Bok
7 W
Does that mean Bok has 5/22 experience till he gains a level?
What does 7 W mean?

Anyways, I would like to spend my 100 winnings on getting +1 firebolt for Tok.
This is his updated char sheet (You may note his backstory isn't done yet, I will finish it up today, school was just a bit busy this week).
Spoiler: Tok (click to show/hide)

For my next fight I would like to fight a Lion.
Tactics: No real strategy, Bok will engage the lion while Tok uses spells from range
That was my health calculation thing, which you shouldn't really have seen. Woops. (I do it because it's too hard to do it in a Word document and still write up stuff...)

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2012, 04:25:44 am »

This makes me rethink my strategy a bit, so I'm buying an additional gladiator from that 200 I won. His character sheet:

Name: 'Sir' (real name unknown)
Traits:
STR: 12 (11+1)
END: 6
AGI: 5 (6-1)
INT: 2
Backstory:
He claims to be the former militia commander of a fallen fortress. Seems like a capable fellow, though his leadership years are long-long past... If he ever was a formidable warrior and military officer, he is just a shadow of himself now.
Class: Warrior
Weapon: Starter Sword (two-handed)
Equipment: none, yet.

What happens if I lose? I just don't get the gold, or are the fallen fighters permanently dead, or forced to rest, or what? Either way, I wish to fight one direwolf for now. I hope that should be relatively easy with two fighters now, but it could also earn a bit of gold. Preferred strategy: Ishar charges in first, hopes to not die, and when the dire wolf is occupied with him, Sir joins in for  killing blows.

Oh and by the way, the name's Ishar, without the 't'.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 04:30:03 am by Ishar »

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2012, 07:00:20 am »

If you lose, your gladiators die. They aren't permanently dead, and if there's a waitlist, you get put at the back with them being revived when you're up again.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2012, 09:36:05 am »

After the fight-
Nikolai awoke in the medical bay, the feeling of stiff bandages and sore muscles somewhat familiar. Still, he was suprised the wolf was as smart as it was, and thanked his deity of luck.

Sanya entered the room when Nikolai awoke, and asked him if he'd be OK.

"I'm fine, Sanya. I just need a short break."
"You shouldn't take such risks. You knew you were a bit rusty, and you'd only ever fought a dire wolf once before!
"Your match seemed to have went well."
"It did. The wolves got my arms, but they didn't seem to realize that it was my hands that were roasting them."
"You're a strong mage. I wouldn't expect any less."
"Thanks, but stop changing the subject. No more stupid risks, ok?"
Nikolai laughed a little. "You know I'll say I promise and go out and do it again, right?"
Sanya normally let it go, but this time she was more adamant. "I'm serious. I don't want to lose the one person who's helped me in my life to die at the paws of a wolf. You could have easily died out there and you know it!"
Nikolai stopped joking and didn't respond.
"I know you'll do something like this again, but... not so soon, at least."
Nikolai nodded.
"Anyway, I'm going to fight three wolves this time, them maybe work on learning a spell. I think I'm really close to divining one. If I can just get it to last longer than 2 seconds, I think a new defensive Fire spell is on the way."
Nikolai gestured for Sanya to come closer, then took his hand and ruffled her hair.
"Good luck, then. I hope I'm there to see it when you become a fully fledged Zodiac."
"When you get healed up, I might see if some of the others want to take on this week's event. With me, you, and anyone else with the guts to try it, we should be fine. If no one else takes it though, well, I guess we'll have to wait."

TL;DR: Sanya fights three wolves, Nikolai fights with the Arena doctors!

Oh, and Sanya got a level in Flamethrower with the winning gold, so I've got 75 left.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 09:43:20 am by Tsuchigumo550 »
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2012, 02:00:13 pm »

Next fight is Wednesday. Feel free to roleplay a bit, have some practice fights (Your decisions on who wins) etc.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2012, 04:20:10 pm »

The smell of old books greeted Sanya's nose as she entered her little study. Located on a corner street in the city's underground, there was little there except for Sanya, her books and equipment, and silence.

Sanya opened up one of the tomes located on a cluttered table in the small room, which had three or four full pages and a half-written one. She picked up a quill and began writing in her particular way. Every mage wrote differently- they poured both their thoughts and their mana onto a page in such a way that their writings could only be read by someone as good as they were or better. Sanya's writing was still basic, based off of the human tounge, and could be deciphered by nearly anyone. She had began working on another one, but her thoughts were preoccupied with other matters.

The fireballs react well to my recent testing. I think I've almost got the circle complete, which I can use to divine the required mana flow, so that any style can cast it. It seems to react most strongly with stance and chant based casting, so it is recommended.

Furthermore, I've been working on a water spell in my spare time away from the lab, and I think it's slowly taking basic shape. The idea is to extract water from a target, but so far I can only get slight amounts of moisture with direct contact. If I'm right, this spell could be used to severely dehydrate an opponent, but I haven't figured a way around direct contact. I might not get this one cracked for a while, but it's something to work on.

In the mean time, I'm trying to learn some more base spells. I seem to have slight natural affinity for water spells despite my alignment with fire, but I decided to work on an air spell today. I really should take this outside, but all my loose papers are already weighed down...

I'm trying to use the wind as an aid in mobility. I should be able to jump much higher and dodge attacks at least once with no trouble, but I won't be able to cast any spells while I'm using it and getting hit could be quite... stunning. Still, this is why one has to test spells.

Note to self. No more wind spells in the study.

Having wrapped up, Sanya takes a break and heads outside. Nikolai was mobile again but wasn't allowed to fight in the next battle, but Sanya decided to just head to the town's central gardens to relax.

The light scent of flowers was carried on a cool breeze, marking the beginning of Autumn. The sounds of crowds drifted by, as the trees gently swayed. Sanya sat on one of the benches in the city garden and enjoyed a small snack, soft liquor and a moment to herself. She watched the green grass swirling in the wind, some citizens throwing a discus around, and steam rising from the local bathhouses.

---

Nikolai was roaming around the arena, shaking hands with and meeting other gladiators. He had a happy-go-lucky demeanor, but the older, wiser gladiators said they could only see a man who lived for nothing.

Nikolai always responded "I fear not the angel of death, and he fears me not. It's no different staring down an equal in the Arena."

He generally stayed in the area of the Arena, picking up some food and chowing down. Afterwards, he went back to the infirmary to rest a bit.

---
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 04:28:00 pm by Tsuchigumo550 »

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2012, 06:15:15 am »

-You ready, boss?
-Depends. If you are asking if I'm at my best, God no. If you are asking if I'll be of any use, yes.
-I don't like this. You sure you don't wanna sit this one out? You humans can be squishy.
-You forget I killed two tigers in the last fight.
-Who gives a shit? I killed whole armies almost single-handedly. Our past doesn't matter here. Fighting is about the here and now.
-I suppose you are right. What was that about slaying armies?
-I just told you it doesn't matter. I'm getting too old for this, and I don't even have my old equipment, only this piece of shit copper sword.
-Just curious: what would you need to get in shape again?
-Well, shitload of practice, mostly against armed opponent, not the mindless beast we tend to fight. And decent gear of course. Preferably mithril, but I don't have high hopes for a full set of mithril armor around here. At the very least, I need a better weapon, and some minor protection.
-Hm.
-What?
-Would you be angry if I bought a direwolf instead of equipment?
-Fuck you, boss.

---

Since nobody has bought any animals yet: what happens to these if they get killed? Do I lose the animal, or does it get to start the next fight with half HP or something like that? I'm fine with anyting but losing really, even forcing the wolf to sit the next fight out, but I wouldn't want to invest into an animal that I might lose in the very next battle for good.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 06:19:24 am by Ishar »

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2012, 06:50:39 am »

If animals die, you gain them again in the next fight.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2012, 06:58:51 am »

Since I miscalculated (as you told me in the PM) I want to buy a bitchin' cool direwolf, boosting my team to the following:

Spoiler: Gladiator team (click to show/hide)

Still fighting that direwolf, though that seems like a trivial thing now: Direwolf vs direwolf & human & dwarf seems like easy money.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2012, 07:03:36 am »

Im good to go.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 07:12:56 am by mesor »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9