Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: XKCD - Explore the world  (Read 6562 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: XKCD - Explore the world
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2012, 01:07:50 pm »

This thing is ridiculous. I hope someone makes an easy to scroll version of it. Click and drag is too painful to go through everything
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2012, 01:14:15 pm »

This thing is ridiculous. I hope someone makes an easy to scroll version of it. Click and drag is too painful to go through everything
er...

Amazing. This is like 100 XKCD strips in one.

Here's a much better map. It works like Google Maps, which means it doesn't spoil the entire map instantly.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2012, 01:15:00 pm »

Yeah, the rent_a_geek.de link works fairly well, though it can take forever to load whatever it is you want to see at any given moment.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2012, 02:37:09 pm »

If you are using the click&drag version, uh. Beware of following the Mario hole all the way down.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2012, 02:37:32 pm »

If you are using the click&drag version, uh. Beware of following the Mario hole all the way down.

SSSSSSssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.....

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2012, 02:41:35 pm »

er...

Amazing. This is like 100 XKCD strips in one.

Here's a much better map. It works like Google Maps, which means it doesn't spoil the entire map instantly.

Huh, must have missed that post somehow. Thanks!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2012, 05:35:37 pm »

Hmm, seems pretty much everything in that is to scale. With that scale being stated to be 2 miles from the start to the left edge.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2012, 05:38:29 pm »

everything in that is to scale
This is XKCD we're talking about, you know.  :P
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2012, 05:39:51 pm »

Yes, but it also means the length of the surface he drew, to scale, is a whole 5 miles long. O_O

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2012, 05:53:18 pm »

I think somebody in another forum did some rough math, and they were nautical miles. which are longer.

ah, found
"Anyway, assuming the scyscraper is Burj Dubai, which is about 800m tall and it translates to about 7.5 images in today's XKCD, 2 miles distance is equal to about 30 images, which would mean, the started near the skyscraper. If they used nautical miles instead (plausible considering the sea they crossed) it would be almost 34 images, which is the starting point."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2012, 06:37:07 pm »

Aw man, I was pretty close to the edge when I gave up and went to work this morning.

Though, to be fair that one has some serious holes in it. It ignores the fact that all power plants (Including nuclear ones and hydroelectrical plants) are computer operated, and also forgets that the same counts for sattelites.(Orbital bombardement is dangerous.)

Not quite 100%.  There are still some hydro plants that still use legacy style governors to regulate the operations.  It's true that they have computer interfaces for the mechanical governor and control units but the human operators would be able to restore the plants very quickly when they noticed the power output started declining.  I doubt the computers would be able to disable the plants at all given the limitations imposed by the mechanical systems.

I know this because three years back I interviewed for a position at the company that services the legacy systems.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2012, 07:01:34 pm »

IIRC in Ontario our reactors run using mechanical logic controllers.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2012, 08:29:01 pm »

Also, not all satellites have active station-keeping, and not all that do have sufficient delta-v to deorbit.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2012, 11:15:03 pm »

Offtopic1: I personally think the best What If? is the Glass Half Empty one, but YMMV.

Offtopic2: Google tells me there are approximately 3000 satellites in orbit (a lot of 'space trash', but not so much of that is going to be of sufficient size to survive re-entrywith still sufficient mass), and elsewhere I see that the total number of satellites launched is slightly above 6000.  (Wiki lists 8300+, but that'll probably include all easily trackable fragments.)

Let's do an abbreviated What If? on those facts.  Assume a full 6000 viable projectiles to land on the surface of the planet, which is 510,072,000,000,000 square metres.  That's one projectile for 85,012,000,000 square metres, or a circle around 331 kilometres in diameter (ignoring issues of spherical geometry, of course, but would not be overly different if I hadn't).  Restricting to land areas only, call that a 180 km diameter circle.  Aiming at cities?  There are... hmmm... it's an arbitrary designation at best, so let's take the 1054 (or so) cities with half a million population or more, and drop (almost) six whole satellites within their limits...  Except that's probably far less impacts than car accidents than they'd normally suffer, on any given morning during the rush-hour.

You're going to have to hope to bop a particular person (or perhaps building) on the head with judgement from on high, strategically.  It's going to be of limited use, unless you pick the target very carefully, or happen to have something (like a subcritical reactor) in the satellite that can cause substantial (useful) damage outside the initial crater.

Maybe not offtopic, while editing the above, my browser has crashed (and had to be recovered) twice.  I've just navigated the XKCD tab back to the Fridge one (1109?), so that if it crashes again, I can rule out.  I also lost Audacity (doing something in the background) or, because of Audacity I lost the browser.  I shall re-open that to do what it was doing, to replicate conditions accordingly.  This is an old machine, and might just benefit from a reboot or something.
Pages: 1 2 [3]