Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss: Multi-tile Trees  (Read 15707 times)

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss: Multi-tile Trees
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2012, 03:58:00 pm »

I'd imagine wind's effect on tree growth is pretty minimal compared to the attributes of the soil the tree is growing in.
Not really.  In some places you can see trees that are bent over, with all their branches on the same side.  The wind does that.

http://www.ultimatechase.com/chase_accounts/Images/Hawaii_Trip_2007/Wind_Tree.jpg

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2012, 07:53:28 pm »

Trees affect on wind, though...
True, but that's a biome feature. And the impact on wind of deforestation is probably not worth simulating.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2012, 06:12:37 am »

(Straying from the original topic, but...) Desertification?  Cut down trees/gather too many arable shrubs, and a neighbouring (up-wind, if that gets defined) desert biome encroaches?  Certainly the soil might degrade.

(Actually, even more off-topic, within an actual desert biome (spilling over the edge or not) what about dune formations and dune travelling, even in the lifetime of a fortress, perhaps evven much quicker than season-by-season.  A couple of months ago I was privileged to be at a presentation which featured the different forms of dune available, with wandering crescents, windward-lines, crosswind-lines, etc...  But I forget the real names.  All to do with macro-scale resonances in sand-drift.  Anyway, still off-topic.)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2012, 06:27:30 am »

Desertification would be neat. An incentive to listen to the elves, but it's worth it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2012, 11:24:41 am »

I'd imagine wind's effect on tree growth is pretty minimal compared to the attributes of the soil the tree is growing in.
Not really.  In some places you can see trees that are bent over, with all their branches on the same side.  The wind does that.

http://www.ultimatechase.com/chase_accounts/Images/Hawaii_Trip_2007/Wind_Tree.jpg

I'd like to see the branches whip around whenever the wind changes direction, as long as they don't embed themselves in my head.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2012, 11:46:42 am »

It would be pretty hilarious if swinging branches used the collision mechanics of the game, but since the branches are up in the canopy I doubt dwarves would get clobbered too often.  More likely the branches would just disappear from beneath them if they were up there.

I'd like to see such a feature eventually, but I suspect it would be a source of nontrivial FPS drain.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2012, 01:28:45 pm »

The idea of branches is good. Maybe campfire would consume an amount of branches before it lights up.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 02:43:11 pm by dwarfhoplite »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2012, 06:33:48 am »

Branches swinging across tiles sounds as hard to implement properly as entire rotating sections of fort would be.  (You know, hinging fortress walls.. at closed and 90 degrees open, easy to display, 45 degrees is hard, and how about positions inbetween?  Never mind the mechanics of ensuring that there's nothing 'in the way' along the arc.)

But a "branch is swinging in the wind" tile that affects anything on it... well, it'd be a universal (or, if not universal, single set/not-set, according to whether sheltered or open to the elements) value to branches that might cause "auto-fumbles/trips".

But I think you want a big swinging branch thing, yes?  Can't see that working, until DF is de-gridded and re-vectorised in its stead.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2012, 04:27:17 pm »

I'd like to see the branches whip around whenever the wind changes direction, as long as they don't embed themselves in my head.
The point is that the wind has made the tree grow like that.
It's permanent.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2012, 05:18:27 pm »

Branches swinging across tiles sounds as hard to implement properly as entire rotating sections of fort would be.  (You know, hinging fortress walls.. at closed and 90 degrees open, easy to display, 45 degrees is hard, and how about positions inbetween?  Never mind the mechanics of ensuring that there's nothing 'in the way' along the arc.)

But a "branch is swinging in the wind" tile that affects anything on it... well, it'd be a universal (or, if not universal, single set/not-set, according to whether sheltered or open to the elements) value to branches that might cause "auto-fumbles/trips".

But I think you want a big swinging branch thing, yes?  Can't see that working, until DF is de-gridded and re-vectorised in its stead.
I don't think that branches on trees swing around anywhere except Hogwarts. Branches swaying in the wind makes sense.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]