Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Let's Discuss: Multi-tile Trees  (Read 15702 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss: Multi-tile Trees
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2012, 09:19:59 am »

True enough. Dense, tangled canopies need to be present, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2012, 10:31:20 am »

Well the trouble I am having with it is that the "Jungle" biome is not present, nor has it ever been. This may be what needs to happen seeing as how a dense jungle is vastly different than a dense forest or morass. Vines hang down, thrush is almost impregnable, and light has trouble reaching the bottom, creating a sort of layered effect as the tree moves up as well as massive height as competition for light grows.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2012, 12:39:02 pm »

Well the trouble I am having with it is that the "Jungle" biome is not present, nor has it ever been. This may be what needs to happen seeing as how a dense jungle is vastly different than a dense forest or morass. Vines hang down, thrush is almost impregnable, and light has trouble reaching the bottom, creating a sort of layered effect as the tree moves up as well as massive height as competition for light grows.
Toady considers Tropical Moist Broadleaf Forest to be the traditional jungle biome.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2012, 02:24:38 am »

Looking at bay12 main page, I can't help but congratulate us all with multi-tile actually coming into play. Toady's screens look absolutely awesome.

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2012, 03:11:20 am »

^Yeah. Would love to see improved rendering of z-levels below to go with this, though. Something like: render the first five levels normally, but faded out, then use the current system for the next 5 and lastly blueing out for the rest levels.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2012, 01:04:14 pm »

^Yeah. Would love to see improved rendering of z-levels below to go with this, though. Something like: render the first five levels normally, but faded out, then use the current system for the next 5 and lastly blueing out for the rest levels.

Then please direct a vote towards "Depth by darkening/misting/blurring" in the eternal suggestion thread!

Thread: Depth by darkening

Also, congrats to the Toad on the marvellous work. I can't wait to see what happens with fungi, ferns, corals and Equisetum/horsetail.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 01:06:25 pm by Silverionmox »
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2012, 06:47:25 pm »

Wait, Toady is finally adding coral?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2012, 10:33:52 pm »

Wow, it's been a very very long time since I've posted in B12G. I've been spending all my time for the past year in BS12! But I stopped by, to comment in this little thread.
You guys have mentioned something but not gone into enough detail about it. Something that affects another aspect of Fort Mode.
Wind. Think Wood Production vs. Windmill Production.
Maps with strong winds would be great for windmills, but trees wouldn't grow as tall. And vice versa. See, now we have balance, pros and cons to certain maps. Great Forests would generate as places with low wind, and Brushlands would have short, sparse trees with high winds.
What about marshes/swamps. Shorelines? Land near different bodies of water like brooks, rivers, and lakes? How would these affect tree growth and how could they affect other aspects of fortress play.
I'm looking at tree development and I see a precursor to further weather development beyond "Rain(bows) make Urist cry". I so eagerly await the next release. Peace.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2012, 02:39:07 pm »

roots and fruits and flowers! more alcohol types!

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2012, 02:37:35 am »

roots and fruits and flowers! more alcohol types!
also you could bury an elf alive under the tree and wait for roots to grow through him

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2012, 02:24:58 pm »

I was wondering that how would you harvest multi-tiled apple tree, for example?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2012, 02:31:18 pm »

I imagine it would just use the gather plants designation like for herbalists now.  You'd designate the 3D area of the tree canopy to select all of the fruit, and the dwarves would climb the tree to get to them.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2012, 02:31:35 pm »

I was wondering that how would you harvest multi-tiled apple tree, for example?

Shake, climb, cut, and magma!!!!!.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2012, 02:44:27 pm »

I'd imagine wind's effect on tree growth is pretty minimal compared to the attributes of the soil the tree is growing in.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2012, 03:20:42 pm »

Trees affect on wind, though...
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6