Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Chainhammer - Necromancers vs Vampires- A Community Fortress  (Read 9776 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Chainhammer - Necromancers vs Vampires- A Community Fortress
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2012, 05:32:50 pm »

Like you'd really expect me to go off and trade with elves? At least I'm not wasting your wood.

Great story, by the way.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2012, 06:52:18 pm »

23rd Moonstone, Early Winter 1152

Our caravan attracted an ambush of kobold spearmen. Those little vermin ran right past our traps like nobody's business. Fortunately, their talents in melee aren't up to our caravan guards.
NRDL and his sparring partner executed yet another four prisoners from an ambush. They are getting near to Axelord status.
My calculations proved to be correct, we succeeded at caving in another part of the glacier to create a water reservoire. We are setting up the different levels of hospitals right now.

Lokam Nilizeg, Grand Master Mason has been possessed and created a gabbro hatch cover, depicting, quote, the ascension of the dwarf vampire Zasid Shockedrock to the position of King of the seal of spirals in 68, end quote. Personally, I find it nice, but the broker says it's not worth more than 16800 $. Well, I have to admit, the source of our beloved King's longevity is not something to debate in such ways... I'll put Lokam back to mason duty, he has real talent there, and with sufficient motivation (I'll keep leaving the details of his artifact out of reports sent to the Mountainhome) will make a lot of masterworks.

We have set up a pump gym in the dining room. Recruits have to build up strenght and endurance somehow... and, myself included, much of the population should turn some lard into rock-hard muscle.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 07:24:25 pm by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2012, 06:53:54 pm »

What, no caverns yet?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2012, 07:06:56 pm »

What, no caverns yet?

Apparently the first cavern layer is below -100 z. I walled it off for now, we have enough food, wood, booze and fatalities for now  ;D I might set up a GCS capturing operation, though.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2012, 07:18:12 pm »

What, no caverns yet?

Apparently the first cavern layer is below -100 z. I walled it off for now, we have enough food, wood, booze and fatalities for now  ;D I might set up a GCS capturing operation, though.

...Wow...

So, maybe move the hospital (and perhaps whole fort?) down nearer the caverns later, so you can have wells from an infinite water source? Or at least near a big cistern filled from the caverns? Infinite unfrozen water...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2012, 07:21:50 pm »

What, no caverns yet?

...Wow...

So, maybe move the hospital (and perhaps whole fort?) down nearer the caverns later, so you can have wells from an infinite water source? Or at least near a big cistern filled from the caverns? Infinite unfrozen water...

I collapsed quite a huge chunk of ice into the warmer layers. With booze production going without hiccups, I doubt water scarcity will be an issue in the next 100 years.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2012, 07:33:49 pm »

What, no caverns yet?

...Wow...

I collapsed quite a huge chunk of ice into the warmer layers. With booze production going without hiccups, I doubt water scarcity will be an issue in the next 100 years.

Well, that's only a century to relocate the entire fortress! Better get the miners started...
Besides, the new fortress should have better central planning and such.
Sig

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2012, 08:11:55 pm »

20th Felsite, 1153, Late Spring

This year's elven caravan didn't get to our doorstep. Damn those greenskins, ambushing them that far away from safety. We are low on wood again, but not this desperate, yet. I'd rather breach the cavern again and send in the woodcutters, then send all my dwarves out into the arms of who knows how many greenskin ambushers.

19th Hematite
Ast Uristnum, bone carver, became secretitive, and created a short sword out of a stack of blue peafowl bones- and nothing else. It's worth 2880 $. At least he learned all he could about bonecarving from this, so we have 2 legendary bonecarvers... still, I was nudging the kid towards becoming a weaponsmith. Well, plan B: let's reorientate the beekeeper instead.

Project "I don't really care about anything anymore" has been started today. We built a small room in a corner of our masterfully engraved dining hall, with gem windows and menacing copper spikes for a floor. Then we herded in all unwanted animals, like those perpetually hungry goats, mind-controlling cats, and a few wardogs growing old. Their owners protested a little, but nothing even remotely resembling a riot. They calmed down when I promised them they'll get a new one.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:30:32 pm by Tirion »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2012, 08:40:14 pm »

The bone sword is awesome.
Sig

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2012, 08:46:17 pm »

The bone sword is awesome.

The lad might have heard about how bird bones can perforate internal organs, and in a moment of inspiration, decided to weaponize it.

I raised the population can from 30 to 80, in hopes of attracting a few vampires. It certainly will attract goblins, and while they don't have demons, a squad of ogres could overwhelm my defenses and/or strand themselves outside, being too heavy for bridges and too building-destroyed for the goblin grinder. I think maybe a dodge-me trap will handle those. Or more menacing spikes. Those kill everything short of a few inorganic FBs.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:57:34 pm by Tirion »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2012, 03:05:50 am »

I was thinking of asking you to make my dorf a pick-warrior, but now it seems I'm almost reaching axelord status...Hmm...
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2012, 06:15:12 am »

22nd Limestone, Early Autumn, 1153

A squad of axegoblins, led by yet another human (I start to detect a theme here) ambushed the human Guild Representative as he left. He somehow managed to outrun them.
NRDL is now officially an axelord.
Project "I don't really care about anything anymore" is under way. So far, no insanity occurred.
Oddom Bermozib, Spinner has been possessed. If she creates something even less valuable than that bone toothpick sword I'll get creative on her ass.
We swapped the hatch covers in our trader-entrance goblin grinder for the two atrifact hatch covers our artisans created. They are so awesome, no troll will be able or willing to smash them apart.

4th Sandstone, Mid-Autumn, 1153

She created... a larch ring. I guess she's been possessed by an elven spirit. She's strong and single, so I see this mockery of an artifact as volunteering for hardening, possibly followed by military training.

27th Sandstone, Mid-Autumn, 1153

12 new migrants, all mortals, no military skills.

I had to redesign our well system, the ice levels freezed every full bucket.

19th Timber

A large caravan was ambushed by goblins and completely annihilated. Our outpost liaison was the first to fall. The guards avenged him, but against 3 squads, one of them those damn lashers, they fell quickly. How did it come to this?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 07:06:47 am by Tirion »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2012, 06:36:35 am »

I'd say not to blame the artifact's stupidity on her, but I agree with your conclusions nonetheless. Any neat decor on that ring?
Sig

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2012, 06:52:06 am »

I'd say not to blame the artifact's stupidity on her, but I agree with your conclusions nonetheless. Any neat decor on that ring?

Image of steelhead trout in larch is the most figurative I got out of it.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2012, 07:36:01 am »

8th Opal, 1153

Erush Akmeshdomas, Captain of the Guard, was possessed, but at least by a proper ancestral dwarf spirit. Behold Recus Atham, The Thirsts of Focusing, a basalt ring. It is encrusted with rectangular basalt cabochons, and decorated with cave spider silk and dog leather. This object menaces with spikes of nickel and dog leather. On the item there is the image of a mountain in dog leather.
On the item is the image of Bludutrurbus and Iden Contestknives the dwarf in dog leather. Bludutrurbus is making a plaintative gesture. Iden Contestknives is striking a menacing pose. The image relates to the mortal wounding of that vermin in the late autumn of 1152 during the Ninth Attempted Theft at Chainhammer.

GWS says it would be worth 10800.
I say it's priceless.

14th Felsite, 1154

Another 7 mortal civilians arrived safely. I'm starting to question His Majesty's plan- no vampires so far. The Olm Woman necromancer can't stop gloating about it.

We started equipping a militia squad of marksdwarves. The beekeeper was too bloody stupid to choose from the mountains of available equipment, and ran around half-naked. I relieved the idiot from her position. She's now yelling at the major.

A ghost of a marksdwarf caravan guard persists in haunting us. We even retrieved his corpse, but my minions keep imagining the necromancer's dwarven zombies have priority at burial. To make matters worse, the stonecrafter is an illiterate fool, who can't find him on the list of names.

A terrible road resonated from the caverns: The Forgotten Beast Galka Borasut has come. A great one-eyes crab. It has a square shell and a bloated body. It's purple taupe exoskeleton is warty. We should beware of its poisonous vapors. I'm doubly glad now that we didn't settle there.

26th Felsite 1154

The elven caravan ran into and was destroyed by a siege of about 100 zombies. Through clever timing, we managed to cage another necromancer, a human ranger named Imo Cucunik. The Olm woman  might gloat less if she knows she can be replaced. Another human ranger necromancer somehow ran past the cages, and ended up in 2 pieces in a weapon trap. We are interrogating his colleagues now, hoping to learn more.

21th Hematite 1154

One of our designated vampire foods grew up, and immediately got a few mood, creating a wagon wood scepter. On it is an image of a minotaur striking down a human somewhere in this glacier, back in 355. It must have been quite the tale, to be passed down through a dozen generations.

The human necromancer told that his slain compatriot was the general of the Hoary Confederation from 11 to 25.

12th Malachite, Mid-Summer 1154
Another 8 civilian mortals.
The miners had struck semi-molten rock 126 levels below the glacier surface. Our search for magma continues.

5th Limestone, Early Autum 1154

Necromancers sneaked in along with the human caravan. At least 2 of them, a dwarf and a serpent man, died in the traps, but a human fisherman followed the wagons and got to the depot, then raised their parts to attack our haulers cleaning the grinder. Humans look pretty much alike, and it took a while to get suspicious. Our axelord duo had to put a dwarf necromancer hand down a couple of times, then someone noticed the human gesturing each time it rose, and it was mobbed. NRDL brained him with his steel battle axe, that guy is legendary in every sense of the word. I think we got all of them.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 10:24:39 am by Tirion »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10