Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Don't Starve- Survival nightmare sim  (Read 39509 times)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
Re: Don't Starve- Survival nightmare sim
« Reply #105 on: April 04, 2013, 07:42:05 am »

My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2013, 07:42:58 am »

Yeah, the Terraria devs did as they said they would.
That said, it's a bit ironic of you to use that as an example of devs never doing anything after release, because Redigit just announced another Terraria update, and it looks to have rain and stuff.

Uuuu, nice, link?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=terraria+update+2013
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 04, 2013, 08:09:34 am »

I'd get this game, but the graphics...

I'm fine with bad graphics, but I dislike this graphics style...

Well specifically there is Technical and Aesthetic graphics (the latter having more then one term to refer to it)

I could care less about technical graphics, in fact looking back the early days of 3d produces some of the most ugly things ever when its 2d cousins still look good today.

the Aesthetics, whether it looks good or bad, is something else entirely.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 04, 2013, 11:52:28 am »

I was just half joking about Terraria. I know they updated a lot after release and I know we are getting another one too, even tho probably only because of the pressure put on by the console release but they did pretty much promise releases well after the release... Either way Terraria is well worth the small price for a game that you can easily play for 100+ hours. Anyone contemplating getting it should because it's one of the best games ever made. Plus who cares about updates to Terraria when Starbound is on it's way?

About Don't Starve- Even when the devs stop updating this game, it seems like it could have some serious modding potential. This game is practically limitless and there are still many things that are not in the game considering the potential. I already have a few mods installed myself.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2013, 12:59:51 am »

Ye folks wary of Terraria nowadays- go grab a mod or five, if you dare. So much more to do, but so much more inventory clutter tetris clusterthulhu.

I, for one, as an outside viewer, having never touched Don't Starve, think highly of its graphical style. It does browns and faded hues really well, being pleasing while setting the scene, all without seeming cliche.

The art direction is awesome. But I will say, I wish there was an item that would bring color into the world. The sepia tone gets old after awhile.

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2013, 11:56:53 am »

I'm probably not the target audience, as I think this game is just too much about actual starving. I just want to do stuff and yet I spend so much time making sure I don't starve, and going back to a crockpot or a fire.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2013, 12:04:45 pm »

I'm probably not the target audience, as I think this game is just too much about actual starving. I just want to do stuff and yet I spend so much time making sure I don't starve, and going back to a crockpot or a fire.

There's ways to make it a lot easier on yourself, but it takes time and planning. And pigs.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 21, 2013, 03:25:23 am »

Bumped the thread to say the release date has come, and they are now out of beta. The game also now has a proper plot, for those who care to be chewed up and spit out by Adventure mode. The ending is surprisingly fitting, and the reward is worth it.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2013, 04:39:36 am »

Bumped the thread to say the release date has come, and they are now out of beta. The game also now has a proper plot, for those who care to be chewed up and spit out by Adventure mode. The ending is surprisingly fitting, and the reward is worth it.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you either starve or don't starve at the end, depending on how ironic the dev was feeling at the time?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2013, 08:00:52 am »

Cant wait for 23 april.I forced myself to not play the game and wait the release  :)

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2013, 07:08:45 pm »

They released that update a couple days early, so it is, in fact, out.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2013, 04:08:52 pm »

They released that update a couple days early, so it is, in fact, out.

OMG, now you tell me... fuck, i lost few days not playing it  :)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 26, 2013, 03:01:29 am »

Well, how do we feel about it now in general?  Good?  Bad?  Worth dropping cash on?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2013, 03:19:32 am »

It's a good game. The mechanics work well and there's a lot of nice touches with things like darkness and sanity. I've enjoyed my time playing the game quite a bit and as has been stated previously, the art style is done quite well.

I will say that the game doesn't have much variety. Building, in terms of actual structures, seems to be limited to walls and floors.
There's a nice amount of depth with items to craft and I haven't seen everything the game has to offer in about 7 hours of play.

It's.... how to say... When you start the game you'll be performing the same tasks to get to a position where you are surviving, resources are something you need to constantly get more of because the items either require quite a few of them or they're hard to come across. Since the world is randomly generated I've had some games where I've easily found some items, but other times have had to trek quite a ways to find them.

The game is very good, but it's not too conductive to excessive periods of long playing.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2013, 04:04:00 am »

I second that review.

It's fun and I put quite a few hours in it already, but the combat is... awkward, and it gets a bit grindy if you really want to build a little house, for instance.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12