Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 339

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 585123 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #4005 on: August 27, 2018, 06:36:28 pm »

Had this long, in-depth and very, very dramatic dream last night. I mean, it was like watching the peak of gut-wrenching drama films from what I remember.
Unfortunately, tragically, I remember barely anything at all.

There were these two brothers who may have secretly been superpowered extraterrestrials, who at some points in their lives worked as shadowy, ruthless secret agents for someone.
There were some serious betrayals between them and other people in their lives, almost definitely at least one of their girlfriends and possibly their father or even each other.

One of them was writing a book, loosely based on his earlier experiences as a secret agent (a bold move, especially considering that he planned to return to that line of work, but he seemed to think that by making the main character as reprehensible as possible - even worse than he had been in real life - he would throw anyone off the scent if they did suspect), and one of them was participating in a course of study.
He had to prep their ailing, kinda crazy old father to make an appearance at his graduation or whatever, which I remember causing plenty of difficulty.

I remember barely anything of what else happened, but the last scene had one of the brothers (probably the agent one) being briefed and/or lectured by some powerful person, seemingly their new employer.
The guy was talking enthusiastically about a lot of shit I can't remember, but I think the gist of it may have been their faction's previous accomplishments, at least some of which were in space, hence why they were either out on a high vantage point at night or in some sort of observatory.

One of the planets mentioned was either the brothers' homeworld, or just somewhere their father had worked a long time ago.
It may have been Uranus, I don't know, but they could see it ahead of them, possibly through a telescope.
The guy giving the talk continued blithely on after mentioning it, but the main character was still fixated on that planet, fraught with homesickness and emotion as he considered the various dark things (which I sadly can't really remember) that presumably went on between he and his family.

As his superior continued rabbiting on, he suddenly launched himself from where they were standing and began flying into space, Kal El-style, towards the distant planet.
I don't know whether his father and/or brother were actually likely to be there (or if the planet was even still inhabited), but he was flying towards it nonetheless.

At that point in the dream, I turned to someone who I had apparently been watching this brutal, drama-drenched film with, and asked what they thought the outcome of this mad journey would be.
"His hate will destroy him," they said with assurance.
Then the dream ended.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: August 28, 2018, 07:07:12 am »

Had a very long dream. It was cut-off, as my dog wakes me up because he needed in my room to sleep with me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I almost think the movie they were filming was Prometheus, which I've never actually seen, but I'm not certain. I was able to actually immediately get up and type this one up, because it was interesting enough and I slept enough for once. I haven't even been playing futuristic games lately, except No Man's Sky, I guess.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 07:11:05 am by Steelmagic »
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: August 29, 2018, 01:43:48 am »

Oh yeah, I was in this cool, rather disorganised comic store, buying stuff and poking around, when some more customers came in.

One of them had a gigantic dog, resembling a staffy but much larger (kind of like a chubby, one-headed Cerberus), that they let wander the store on its own for some reason.

The giant dog came into the sideroom I was in, browsing wargaming miniatures or some shit, and, after initially seeming quite friendly with its tongue hanging out and tail wagging, took my shoulder in its huge jaws and slowly began to squeeze whilst wrenching me back and forth.
At first I thought this was just the huge dog's unpleasant way of playing, but then I sensed a certain malevolence in its expression and/or behaviour, and as its grip tightened I realised it was relishing my pain and fear as it shook me back and forth.

Despite my anxious reluctance to make a scene, I had to yell for help lest this beast tear me apart. It took a bit of effort to get its human's attention (he was in the main room, browsing, seemingly unaware), but eventually I did and around there the dream ended.

Not sure if I was still in one piece, haha.
I think so... can't recall what happened in the last moments, though.

Tl;dr: (though this is already the mercifully abridged version) was mauled in a comic and hobby store by a sadistic giant staffy.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: August 29, 2018, 07:24:59 am »

I had another dream where my brother and I were on good terms, and played video games together (Freelancer, I think).  Hurt a bit.

After I realized it was a dream, we became good vampires whose secret base was a barn at the old house.  I've dreamed about it a few times recently, it was always like an archaeological adventure growing up.  Old farm equipment, but also old computer stuff my dad stored inside.  A primer on IBM BASIC...  In the dreams it's always this 3-story fortress, but just as dusty and mysterious, with missing floorboards and... creative topology.

Anyway, we fought crime.  There was a fun part where we told some asshole that we didn't want the powers anymore, and offered to give them to him instead.  Naturally he immediately tried to kill us, completely ineffectually- my brother just wandered off to study the test data we'd actually received.  I got to have a fun one-side wrestling match where my only goal was to avoid damaging our workspace.  Also avoid killing the bad guy - we were superheroes, after all.

It was part of some subplot about understanding our powers, which had come from some generic secret organization we'd escaped from.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:39:19 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: August 30, 2018, 03:54:59 am »

I don't remember much, but it involved Google engaging in a war with Microsoft.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: August 30, 2018, 10:07:04 am »

I don't remember much, but it involved Google engaging in a war with Microsoft.

This is actually a premonition of the year 2030.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: August 30, 2018, 01:05:06 pm »

I had a dream I was at my job and someone ordered me to make french fries, so I tried to do them very quickly and I got stressed out.

Woke up and it was 3 AM, this got me thinking about a very odd dream from a year ago, odd because of how I didn't realize it was a dream.

This job was much much more stressful than my current job and I had to be constantly on my feet ready for someone to order like ten pizzas and I HAD to be quick with my cooking times. And when I was finished at the end of the day, I had to be 1000% sure I did not forget to turn off the very electricity expensive furnace, but I was always rushing to finish some other stuff and I always forgot to remember if turned it off. This resulted in me returning like three times every day to check if I really turned the knob down.

Now I went home that night and fell asleep, in my dream some of the waiters exclaimed that I forgot to turn my furnace off and someone ordered another pizza, I simply had to go..

IRL, I wake up, take few steps, walk down my stairs. And I start thinking, why should I turn off my furnace if somebody wants pizza?
I then get little confused because the room was dark and I had to think where the hell was the furnace, then I realized the furnace is not in the living room... then I slow down to realize it was all a dream.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: August 30, 2018, 02:59:11 pm »

I get a phone call, it's a girl, she's fun to talk to, says she's very close by, I ask where, she starts acting shy.

Explains that she's a fish in like a burrow or something in the yard.

Go outside, we're in a trailer apparently, big 16 by 80 type, asking where she is, says she's an eel specifically, come around the house and the missus comes outside angry at me because she was using some sort of app for ventriloquism to pretend to be this fish girl and who is this fish bitch I'm talking to and I'm like 'uh, wasn't it you?' and woke up laughing.

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: August 31, 2018, 12:38:16 pm »

Last night's dream: one of my work colleagues got into a bar fight and beat the crap out of someone - the police arrive to arrest him, and I tried to explain to them that he didn't start it, but they couldn't understand what I was saying because my mouth was full of dice. I then proceeded to spit an endless stream of said dice out onto the ground until I woke up.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: August 31, 2018, 12:53:19 pm »

I was traveling from star to star in a green spaceship.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: August 31, 2018, 03:01:37 pm »

I had a dream that I woke up and went to do laundry but someone had tried to do the dishes in the washing machine.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: September 02, 2018, 10:00:30 am »

So all the late-night Mythos RP *sorta* bled through, but wasn't so bad.

I was following the perspective of a rough-and-tumble power-armor marine (Tychus from Starcraft 2)... along with a couple of other survivors in a zombie apocalypse.  We were approaching a large glass-walled office building.  My "character" started feeling intensely uneasy, the sort of gut-feeling he'd learned to rely on.  He wasn't sure why, but entering this building was a tactical mistake.  But he had a tough-guy reputation to uphold, so he just grumbled a bit as we went in.

To skip forward, zombies and stuff.  Things were getting pretty bad for the survivors, but I found I could switch to a different "perspective" where I was looking up at them from a pit.  It was a much cooler view of the whole fight, but for some reason my space marine started screaming and panicking whenever I "switched away".  How strange.  I decided to stay away, though, since the survivors were totally screwed.  Just watched from the pit.

Except that the darkness of the pit seemed to be growing around my vision, and there was a growing pain on the side of my neck, like teeth or claws.  But the survivors were all dead, I had nowhere to go.  I woke up with my hand resting against that part of my neck, heh.
Wasn't bad, just interesting perspective-shifting.

I had another dream about being a Mechwarrior defending some kinda of Star Wars Old Republic city against other mechs.  I was a rookie in a lance, but we were heavily outnumbered and separated by very light mechs.  I was running backward through a plaza, firing autocannons and knocking them down with a hammer as they closed to melee.  I ran out of road and crashed to a stop, swinging wildly.
My mech was just barely victorious, the guns gone and the hammer-arm hanging a bit limply.  I reported success and our... king... called us all back to a regrouping point.  The war wasn't going well, but we'd defeated a superior force today.

During repairs, the veteran pilots called me over to their table.  My tactics had been downright amateur, but I had accomplished my task in the mission, so they were happy to give me tips and strategies.  Even a bit of respect for surviving in such a rough campaign.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: September 02, 2018, 12:59:03 pm »

I was in a fight with a scrawny guy wielding a sword. I grabbed his blade with my hands and nearly cut my fingers off. My unnamed friend conked him in the back of the head and the fight was over. I was looking at the cuts on my hands, and saw my thumbs almost totally amputated. I wasn't that upset, but then I realized I missed a plane trip I was supposed to take and had spent a lot of money on, and I cried out in anguish and broke into tears.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: September 05, 2018, 01:38:39 am »

My presumably strange, varied dreams last night (I can't remember the earlier stuff) ended with me boarding a train.

Not sure where we were headed, but I do know that I was with a friend (at least one) and that I was busting to take a leak.
I set off in search of a toilet and it became quickly apparent that this was a very strange train indeed.

Whereas most ordinary trains would be lucky to have even one toilet, and with flash, long-range regional trains not much better off, this one had actual stalls. Lots of them. I went through one bay of stalls that were all occupied or otherwise unsuitable, and there was another lot.

Before long the toilets were interrupted by a counter selling snacks and food, as well as a food court-type area with tables and chairs to eat at, but lining the edges of the room/carriage were still more stalls. I almost settled on one to use, but it was unpleasantly close to a family eating at a table. Maybe I needed to do more than just pee, I dunno.

After the food court there was another room/carriage full of stalls, all walled with the same brown, wood-looking paneling, but almost all were occupied.
I heard what sounded like sex occurring in a stall up ahead, but from the brief, embarrassed glimpse I caught as I passed it seemed to be a man helping a woman give birth in there, with the door open.

After that I came to a less-claustrophobic area without all the stalls pressing in on either side. There was a counter up ahead and some more snacks for sale, along with various stationery, set out around the room.
Or, well, carriage, but at this point it occurred to me that if I hadn't just boarded a train I would have no idea I was on one and not in a building. These large, spacious rooms with windows and ample store furnishings didn't resemble train carriages at all.

And there was more! Rather than just selling some stationery, this shop I was in extended on ahead, selling books and magazines like a stretched-out version of one of those little airport bookshops.

They even had a section devoted to comics/graphic novels. The first shelf seemed to be filled with overly artsy, abstract shite, so I moved across the room to a bunch of smaller shelves. The first one I looked at had a bunch of juicy-looking, adventure-y comics in Western settings.
The idea occurred to me of buying one to take back and share with my companion, whoever they were, and I was looking for a sequel to some similar comic I remembered reading earlier in the dream when I came across one whose cover claimed to star Willie Nelson and some other guy. Apparently Willie had done the mo-cap work that one of the main characters was drawn from?? Bizarre, I know, but that was my understanding.

Then my dad suddenly appeared, telling me how the comic was apparently based on some old film and all the various difficulties that the crew had encountered during production, which was on-location in some strange place or other.
Then I woke up and immediately got up to go take a leak.

Probably a good thing I didn't find a usable toilet, haha.

Edit:
Tl;dr: Caught a train to who-knows-where then went looking for an onboard toilet, found a huge number of toilet stalls as well as a food court and a book store with a sweet, highly-varied graphic novel selection, all spacious and all somehow crammed aboard this bizarre train that you couldn't really even feel the movement of.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 03:24:51 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 339