Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 339

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 512647 times)

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #3420 on: January 06, 2017, 03:20:37 pm »

This was strange dream...

I remembered way more in the morning but I forgot.
Basically I was somewhere, for some reason and I was in a knife fight with someone.

It was mostly "automated" or however you call it, I felt like I had no control of the dream and things just went by as a movie.
My enemy had a long sword while I had this wrist surprise knife similar to that in Assassin´s Creed.

I try to land a few strikes at his head or neck but I have to pull out because his sword could get me.
Now I finally try to do it for a last time and there for a first time in my dream I felt like I had control,
it´s like part of me wanted to withdraw but I just decided nope and kept going for his neck.

Then I wake up literally punching my computer which I sleep next to, I moved it by 20 centimeters. O_o

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: January 06, 2017, 03:52:50 pm »

Dreamt I was in a world like the old 2d sidescroller platformers. Like Mario or something. But also minecraft. As I was jumping between stone platforms I had to fight off minecraft mobs with my minecraft sword. One of the platforms consisted of a cross shaped top, where I started, and a tower leading down to a much larger cross that seemed to have food crops and grass growing on it. I decided I wanted to get down there and jumped down to a little platform sticking out of the tower. There were several zombies on that platform and I was immediately killed. But all my stuff fell to the plain below. I respawned on a nearby platform and made my way back, and fashioned a stone pick to dig down into the tower with. Then there was something with a building next to the base of the tower. A square, modern house with huge windows on the second floor. So then I was messing around in the house but the whole time I knew I needed to get back to completing this platforming puzzle.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: January 08, 2017, 12:33:15 pm »

I try to land a few strikes at his head or neck but I have to pull out because his sword could get me.
Now I finally try to do it for a last time and there for a first time in my dream I felt like I had control,
it´s like part of me wanted to withdraw but I just decided nope and kept going for his neck.
Slightly off topic, but you had the right idea at the end there. When fighting someone who is using a big melee weapon you want to get in hugging distance, to limit the leverage they can use their weapon with, thus limiting the force. With a sword it still wouldn't be fun, you could definitely still get cut up, so ideally you would be blocking the sword arm, but just getting in where they have to swing their arm backwards to hit you would keep it from being outright life threatening, and provide the ideal distance for shanking with your smaller knife.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: January 08, 2017, 03:40:07 pm »

In some of my dreams I'm male, and in some of them I'm female.

Oh, I've had that before. I think. It was just sort of an 'is' thing- d'you find it changes your outlook or sense of self, in the dream?

Difficult to tell, since when I'm dreaming it's often like I'm someone else with a completely different history and memories anyways, and it's different from dream to dream.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3424 on: January 08, 2017, 06:16:47 pm »

Also I think that Trump somehow achieved octopus lichdom at some point? I have vague memories of his undead cephalopod wig getting stuck in a turbine during a submarine chase.
OCTOPODE TRUMP LICHES SHALL RULE THE DUNGEON
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: January 08, 2017, 09:03:43 pm »

I dreamt that I took off my face, but it wasn't my face. I looked at it and couldn't recognize it.

*sigh* Well, I guess my dysphoria's leaking into my dreams now.
I dunno how old this post is, but considering dreams are heavily influenced by subconscious/conscious thought, its not uncommon for dysphoria to leak into dreams.

Ive had many such dreams myself.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: January 08, 2017, 10:58:04 pm »

That's not all that odd. The same thing happens to me, but I never distinctly feel female, or how I imagine being female feels.

I just have tits.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: January 08, 2017, 11:18:59 pm »

Also I think that Trump somehow achieved octopus lichdom at some point? I have vague memories of his undead cephalopod wig getting stuck in a turbine during a submarine chase.

Can I sig this?

In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3428 on: January 09, 2017, 06:10:28 am »

I dreamt that I took off my face, but it wasn't my face. I looked at it and couldn't recognize it.

*sigh* Well, I guess my dysphoria's leaking into my dreams now.
I dunno how old this post is,
"on January 5th"
but considering dreams are heavily influenced by subconscious/conscious thought, its not uncommon for dysphoria to leak into dreams.

Ive had many such dreams myself.
...are you Digital Demon?
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: January 09, 2017, 06:53:33 am »

Dreamt I was a Network Zero member working alongside what I think was Ahl al-Jabal to smoke out a vampiric incursion in my home town, knocking down doors to check if the inhabitants were vampires or not.

Guess I binged on too many H:tV rulebooks.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: January 09, 2017, 10:44:41 am »

That's not all that odd. The same thing happens to me, but I never distinctly feel female, or how I imagine being female feels.

I just have tits.
A week or two ago, 'I' was (notably) a female police officer for a large part of a particular subset of my dream-story. But then I',  not quite sure if I was that character or that character was merely the primary current focus of the 'plot'. As I've said before, I'm sure, a substantial part of my dreaming seems to be like a screenplay of some kind, with a 'plot', and it's hard to tell if I'm actually being the character(s) concerned or merely on a very tight over-the-shoulder camera focus (perhaps even 1st-person view, which is not unknown in films, even excluding such blatancies as the Doom movie fanservice-for-gamers segment).

As I've never really significantly wondered about being female, being a police officer or being a scriptwriter (and the degree to which I have definitely trends upwards towards the latter end of that spectrum...), I put this down to just the regular 'random' meme interactions during the overnight defragmentation of my daily experiences.

(But I wish I could record some of my dreams. They evaporate far too quickly. A load of rubbish, doubtless much of it, and other bits I probably wouldn't share either, but when I've had a grand cinematic adventure chasing after people in buses, and latertrying to get my train past someone else's, whilst dealing with some sort of zombie outbreak that is chasing along the corridors full of toxic waste drums, and the other bits and pieces that it's now too late in the day to reassemble from last night's footage, it'd be nice to get tell someone all about it without being so vague about the details that were originally so sharp, and even made 'sense' at the time...)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: January 09, 2017, 10:57:40 am »

:U dream recording may actualy be a thing, I remember reading something about japanese researchers managing to using real time MRI scans of sleeping patients and actualy translating brain activity into visible images, then asking the same patient about them later. Michio Kaku mentioned it in one of his talks, me thinks. Dream recorders could become a thing one day, with the main hurdle for that being creating MRI machines that are not FUCKHUGE and expensive.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3432 on: January 09, 2017, 12:42:48 pm »

I also have dreams that are more like a movie, with me either watching it from within the scenes or actually residing in a character. (Those are creepy, weird, and cool - I feel compelled to do something sometimes.) But I also have dreams in which I am me - I have full agency, and it just feels more me-ish, you know? I'm either a girl or androgynous in those dreams.
Sigtext!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: January 10, 2017, 03:09:30 am »

Okay, okay, here's what I just woke up from.

Segment before two bits before deals with my being annoyed at a report being written in a publication about a cross-Himalayan (in fact, over the top of Mount Everest!) cycle ride as not being 'real cycling' in the context of the publicating organisation, when I knew darn well that it was a lot closer to the roots of that organisaton than a lot of the stuff they were doing these days and also heavily publicising...   (The anchoring onto the real world is obvious enough, but beyond an idle thought about when their annual get-together was (just checled., it's next weekend), nothing else experienced yesterday seemed to promote any bits of dream.   But I'm gping into too much detail, this is just the run-up.)

The (actual) segment before then is in a room, a kind of mixture living room, computer lab, (disused) chemistry lab.  Among other things, there's some books (need re-ordering) one of which is one of a series called "The Book of I" (it is, or should be, adjacent to the "Book of K", it seems there is no Book Of J in the collection) which seems to be dedicated in a good half-inch thick technical manual to the discussion of how a code segment consisting of an assignment of (new) text and an assignment of a value (new, or possibly incremented) to a couple of like-typed (but loosely-typed) variables actially works.   A whole book.  As one in a series.  I try to get someone interested (cue some sort of rant about "true computing", involving GUI vs CLI dscussion, none of which my interlocutor seems to know about, and my begrudging respect for Apple, ahilst thonking that they simultaneously did a good thing but also "spoilt it" really needs better description). Also I spectactularly fail to write on a wall, the worms coming out all wrong. (See here. for reference.)

But anyway, the bit I came here to report on...

I'm in Afghanistan (??!), it's a place I know and love (!??) with a modern shopping area not far from my protected compound (which may be the above room, within which the boss of the cycling organisation is writing his bad report on the cycle-ride that, in some ways, I was even more recently still supporting, the business of getting my own camera to take a necessary picture through the mirror, but a rider is currently resting against the car door, but I digress, or maybe regress).

Memories aside, the place is more dangerous-feeling. I'm being wary of crowds, for some reason ignore the prone and unconscious body of an obvious-'westerner' on the ground, and then find that most of the shops I 'knew' and 'loved' are shuttered up, amd have been for longer than I last recall havibg been here. I wander back (past the unconscious westerner who is being attacked...  no, dragged to rescue...  by a local girl - and again I do not help as I am on a personal mission, but there's guilt there, this time) and round past my compound's hustling bustling (crowds!) entramce to more retail (and gambling?) units that are open.  None of this area is a traditional souk, by the way. It's modern (if delapidated) industrial-scale mall-style retail units featuring modern retail outlets and the like. Or should be, if not shuttered up (with hardboard).

Coming (back) out of one place, a jolly little old American-accented woman starts following me and spouting aphorisms at me. With the impression that she's rounder than she is tall, the garish 'casual' clothing and the manner of her accosting me, I gather straight off that she's trying to sell me something, and with resignation (rather than annoyance) I convince her to get to the stage of producing her product so that I can sooner just say that, no, it isn't for me...

It turns out to be a book (or, initially, a cardboard case for the book, but the book is soon also brought to me, by the lady's husband, to flick through, probably as part of stage two of the 'hooking' process of "touch it, feel it, now that's a book!"...  It is a bit thicker than the aforemsntioned Book Of I and has a title, and largely indecipherable contents, relating to stock and share investments... I suspect this to be the front-end of a complex financial scam (stage 1, buy the "get rich quick" book; stage 2, try to get rich quick, but ultimately all profit goes to tje scammers) produced by a vanity press.  But I don't say this.

Instead I flick through the book and explain how this isn't for me, I'm not really her target audience, and try to justify this by discussing quotation marks upon sigmage.  You know like:
"Please Keep Off The Grass"
- The Management
(That is an example for you.  Yes, I know "The Management" is being quoted, but that newline-hyphen is sufficient to differentiate quote from quoter, the quotation marks makes it look like a more non-serious quote like an <does finger thong>air quote</does finger thing> somewhat invalidating the basoc veracity of the quote.   Do they (The management) really say that, or are they being misquoted, taken out of context or are we just repeating what we thought we heard someone else say that The Management might have said.  I suspect that it's a scam by the sign-writers' guild to extract extra money for some minimally base-cost extra characters.  Ditto unneccessary apostrophes.)

But in the dream, although motivated much as I am for the above parenthetical, I use the example of my boss ("no, I tell a lie, my boss's boss", although there I am lying, it really is my direct boss, or was at one point) who had/has a framed (and enquoted) "<quotes>The Best be Boss In The World<endquotes>"... ...thing... ...picture-framey thing.  (Not from me. From some other employee he is/was boss of.  Or maybe a present from his wife. If not himself, totally without irony.)

I actually go off and fetch the darn thing (whilst still simultaneously stand there, still psychologically 'trapped' by the saleswoman?!?) to prove my point (the point being that the reviews on the book cover/packaging1 were <quote>quoted<endquote>. Oh, and I'm really not looking to invest, please don't waste your time, pleasant (?) though your transparemt sales pitch has been, from the start.

Then I woke up.

1 Another sort-of-bugbear: reviews upon a book cover indicate that it is a reprint, at least, of a previously unadorned  book that was yet felt worthy enough to provide said "quotes". But, for me, such things are offputting in their disturbance of the original cover-art.  Not an argument used in the dream, though. Never got around to it.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: January 10, 2017, 06:14:56 pm »

Why the question marks and exclamation points?
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 339